General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hurst Shifter rebuild service

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Question Hurst Shifter rebuild service

I sent my shifter to these guys back in early December.They received it according to my couriers' tracking report.I called them two weeks ago (no 800 number) and they claimed "I was at the top of the list."
Has anyone dealt with this outfit and is the work worth the price they charge.(I know, I know, I should have asked BEFORE I sent it in!)Any comments are welcome.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Exclamation

The work is excellent.

I have had a number of them rebuilt.

An option going forward is Pete Serio. He has a company called Precision Pontiac.

Specializes in Hurst shifters.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Trying to remember member

If you guys don't mind saying, what did you guys pay? From what I can see, the rebuild cost has skyrocketed, and I don't know why (other than greed).
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wmachine
If you guys don't mind saying, what did you guys pay? From what I can see, the rebuild cost has skyrocketed, and I don't know why (other than greed).
Those greedy fat-cat corporate shifter rebuilders.
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM

I believe I will be billed $275. for the rebuild,$75. to rechrome the stick...(that someone scratched taking it out) $10.50 for UPS ground shipping and approx. $20. long distance charges.Regular shifters are $165, auto sticks cheaper still.They gouge you on OEMs, cause they know you'll never find a replacement at a swap meet.
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bunser
They gouge you on OEMs, cause they know you'll never find a replacement at a swap meet.
Yeah, every since B&M bought Hurst apparently.
I paid $40.00 in 1992. And sometime about 1998 or so? it was $75.00.
That's not a service, that's a disservice. That's just wrong.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Probably the difference between East Coast (Mr. Gasket - Cleveland, Ohio) and West Coast (B & M - California) pricing...And, of course, this is the aftermath of Million Dollar Cudas and B & J auctions. It drives the price up of everything in the hobby. The days of real bargains and fair pricing are probably coming to an end.
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Yeah, every since B&M bought Hurst apparently.
I paid $40.00 in 1992. And sometime about 1998 or so? it was $75.00.
That's not a service, that's a disservice. That's just wrong.
I believe you are right, I heard they were purchased a couple of years ago and the price skyrocketed! I paid $90 about seven years ago, and I sent it to Nevada for Hurst to rebuild. I think they shifted the location(Ohio?) but I don't know for sure.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:18 AM

That's correct. I have it that Hurst was bought by Mr. Gasket in 1987, and were then located on Brookpark Rd. in Cleveland. Mr. Gasket fell on hard times, filed Chapter 11 and moved to Tempe AZ in May '93. At that time the rebuilds were being done in Nevada. In 2007 Hurst was sold to B & M. Apparently B & M bought their major competitor to treat them like an ugly stepsister.

When I took my shifter in to Mr. Gasket (in Cleveland) in '92, it was a cool company to visit. I met the gal that actually did the shifter rebuilds; she was quite the expert! Was also able to buy things directly from them at wholesale prices (not a publicized policy). I recall buying a Hays clutch package there. Once a year they had a "Garage Sale" on a Saturday there to clean house, the bargains were superb!
They also still enjoyed a good relationship with Linda Vaughn and Doc Watson at that time.
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Presently, I believe that they are located in Chatsworth Ca. At least, that's where I sent the shifter.They called me yesterday saying it was done and ready to ship.I'll probably pick it up next week and find out if I get "lucky" at Canadian Customs.(If I get the "bitch" I got last week, I can see the cost rising!)
When I get it back home I'll try to post a pic, but, unfortunately my computer skills are sadly lacking.
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM

" but, unfortunately my computer skills are sadly lacking.[/quote]"
yeh, I know how you feel. When I turn my computer on in the morning it say's "You again?"
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
I know everyone has a vise and hand tools, so why are any of you sending in your shifter for rebuild anywhere, by anyone? All of the very same genuine parts used by rebuilders are available from Summit at discount, and B&M drop shipped the last parts I purchased to my door, at same shipping cost. You can only assemble it backwards, which is obvious with the reverse lever on the outside, there just isnt that much to them. Assuming the use of spray brake parts cleaner to hasten the parts cleaning, plan an about two hours tops. Wear points are very obvious, no real guesswork in what to replace.
Well DUH! I say to myself. That thought was rolling around in the back of my mind, why didn't I come out with it and ask!! I had no idea the kits were available, and didn't even consider being able to do-it-yourself!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by coldwar
Kurts remarks about the garage sales reminded me at the time I felt sure someone was getting a heavy screwing, perhaps absentee backers. One buddy bought five NIB Hays GM PP's for $100, and all cash, cash only, maybe to keep the doors open I speculate. I was, and am fearful of buying 'closeout' clutch parts, kind of like buying a closeout parachute or a closeout 30ft extension ladder, I want the assurance of quality control a new, never returned or 'inspection failed' racing clutch assembly affords. Nevertheless, I got a big handful of white second design 4-speed ***** (without the dumb HURST script on side) for $20, not packaged. Four or five palletized containers of 10"-11" discs just dissappeared like free lunch. The next year, ebayers were ready, the sale items were 100% gone before lunchtime - CW
Yes, and by the time they were having the garage sale at the warehouse on Tiedeman Rd, there was nothing much left in '60-'70 Olds specific applications. A friend of mine and I picked up the last closeouts of the Hayes steel flywheels they had at one of the garage sales when it was still on Brookpark Rd., circa early '90s?
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM

To respnd to Coldwar, I sent mine in before I had a computer, and I searched high and low for the parts, they just weren't available around here at the time. I was getting the Summit catalog, but they did not offer the parts at that time. Couldn't find anyone who new anything about them ...oh well.
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:09 AM
wait.... what....

Originally Posted by Bunser
If I get the "bitch" I got last week, I can see the cost rising!
Must have been the same one i got too! lol I think she was writing out my "must pay" slip before i even got to the window!

Last edited by oldzzy; March 19th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM

Any more info/updates (pics?) on these OEM Hurst being rebuilt by Hurst? Do they re-plate the metal all pretty?

I have a nice 3138 shifter and just wondering if it is worth while to have it re-plated, cleaned/lubed inside by someone who knows what they are doing.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:51 PM

I have a nice 3138 shifter and just wondering if it is worth while to have it re-plated, cleaned/lubed inside by someone who knows what they are doing
Hurst just rebuilds the shifter, do not send the shifter stick, that you can take to a plater to rechrome.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Thx. Actually, the handle itself is pretty nice, small scratch on the one side, but otherwise mint. Not even sure if it really needs re-chroming.

No rust on the shifter either, but would be nice re-plated in silver zinc or whatever it was like originally.