Hydra-matic Tools

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Hydra-matic Tools

Folks, I want to pass this on. After you have finished reading this post you will know all I do, so asking additional questions will be of no avail.

A transmission repair shop in Lansing, MI (Lansing Transmission) that worked on 50's era Olds/GM hydra-matic transmissions has stopped dong so. It stopped because the mechanic with the expertise has died. Either the shop, or the mechanic, had the requisite, unique tools to perform the hydra-matic repairs (internal band adjustment tools, among others).

Perhaps these necessary tools could be acquired by an individual or a club for purposes of use, loan and/or duplication so that the capability of performing repairs to these trannys is preserved?

I would hate to see the needed tools go to the scrap heap, and I suspect many of you feel the same.

I do not have a 50's era Olds, so have no interest or need, but know many here do.

Here is the only contact info I have. It is for the shop where the tech worked.
http://www.lansingtransmission.com/contact-us/
Lansing Transmission
220 S Larch St, Lansing, MI 48912
(517) 487-6089

Just wanted to pass the info on, and would ask that any more info re this be posted here. Thanks -
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

If only there were SOMEONE on this forum who lived in Lansing...

(Chris, was that too subtle?)
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This is a real problem for us with the old original hydramatics. They haven't built these things for 50 year so if a guy was a young mechanic then, he would be in his 70's now. The transmission in my 54 is okay but needs some work. I have found an old mechanic in Fort Worth that had a transmission shop back in the day. His son has a shop now and will pull the transmission and put it on the bench for his Dad to rebuild. He does not use any Chinese parts he said. I will probably take my car over to him at the end of summer. I have $2,000 stashed away for a complete rebuild if necessary. I hope somebody steps up and buys this stuff. I wonder what they would take for it.
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Rocketeer

It would help to know what the specific tools are, and what they'd cost to buy. I suppose it would also help to make sure that the proper documentation and tech data goes with the tools.

I don't own a 1950s transmission, and I'm about 3 hours from Lansing by car. It sounds like someone around here lives in Lansing, right?

Last edited by bob p; April 15th, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If only there were SOMEONE on this forum who lived in Lansing...

(Chris, was that too subtle?)
UPDATE - 16 Apr 2015

Dave...False Alarm...I went to Lansing Transmission yesterday. Spoke with the owner, and he's NOT giving up on old cars yet...He knew who I was, had a nice chat, I left him my name and number, and he assured me if he decides to stop, he'll be in touch with me to acquire the tools and books...

Craig
Old April 18th, 2015, 11:53 AM

Good news the tools and more important the skills will live on Dave. I,m a lucky guy as my transmission mechanic use to drag race using the slant pan hydros back in the 60's to the early 70's and is a hydra-matic guru. The last time I was in his shop he was having his lead mechanic work with him so he also can pass his skills on. There is hope out there just gotta look harder.....Tedd
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:01 PM

www.usedcarcorner.com has A Kent Moore J-2681 External Band adjusting tool Buy It Now for $125. They are located in Marengo, Illinois. Just found a set of 2@ vehiclegeni.com for $80 + 11.75 Shipping. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; April 18th, 2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: More Info