Dual Gate Install in a 1969 442

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2024, 11:56 PM

Dual Gate Install in a 1969 442

Hey everyone been awhile since I posted. Well after years of wanting to install a Dual Gate into the stock Floor Console, I did it!!! I'm super ecstatic with the outcome.

So the idea came to me again, after watching a youtuber named olzkng where he had a 3-4 different Dual Gates in his collection and made one work with a 4 speed Auto 4l60e I think.....he also made it work in his 69 olds floor console.

I purchased a Dual Gate and some other parts off of Dave442 and I also purchased an olds dual gate off of BeenThere. ​​​​​But I realized pretty quickly that either of the dual gates wouldn't workout for my conversion . One was from 67-69 Pontiac GTO and the other was from a 68-69 Olds Hurst. The body of the shifters was just to tall and none of the brackets I purchased from Parts place would work.

Than last week I'm on kijiji and I see a fellow in Cold lake, Alberta selling an almost new Hurst Dual Gate 2 for a reasonable price which was OBO. It was an original 90's built Dual Gate, not a newer Parts Place type shifter. I called him and worked out a deal. It arrived on Friday and i went to work.

This shifter was THE ​​​​one. It took me about 5 hours of measuring and cutting the console a bit and welding brackets and figuring out the perfect height for the shifter housing to make it work. I had a got a spare console plate from.Dave442 as I knew I would be cutting up to make the shifter work ( thank you Dave). This way i still retain all the stock parts as well. I had also ordered a roll of 3 inch wide Burl style Vinyl off of Etsy that I was going to use on the chrome insert on the chrome console plate.

After some back and forth i decided to use the chrome plate that came with Hurst Dual Gate 2 to cap off the top of the 442 Console plate. I flattened it out as best i could, also this way i was able to secure the console to the shifter with the 3 bolts that were used on the plate instead of mocking some brackets like the stock shifter had to hold the console to the shifter. The only thing left now to complete the install is to get the 69 Console Safety Neutral switch mounted and working as it should...I will most likely do something somewhat similar to what OLZKNG did to make his factory switch work.

Here are some pictures of the Dual Gate Hurst2 that I ended up using. I will run one of the 4 shifter cables I have once I get the motor and trans installed back in the car.

Here are the brackets I ended up using. They are from the parts place and are for the 70-72 olds dual gate shifter.

Also is the little solenoid on the shifter housing for reverse lights? Im most likely going to remove it.

Some console trimming done to set the shifter in there.

Some pictures of the final bracket positioning and some cutting and welding of the brackets to mount to the floor. I will give a spray with some Black paint to the brackets before it's 100% buttoned up.

Here is the final product mocked in place lookimg as if it came from the factory like this. I don't know why but i really like this look over the Olds H/O small black console assembly. The burl vinyl i used on the console plate insert is a bit off on color, but it is easy enough to remove it and put the proper match if i someday come across it. This still looks nice. Also i will take some pictures of the 68 console plate and insert and the trimming it required to fit. I will get a couple pictures in a day or 2 and update this thread.

Please I would love you your thoughts on the assembled shifter setup in the pics below. ..notice the new Shifter **** I got my hands on.

I will be putting the other shifters up for sale soon. I have the Olds Dual Gate on Ebay right now with the 68-69 Hurst Olds center Console.

Last edited by Big Dawg; May 6th, 2024 at 08:31 AM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Very nice work. I've been contemplating exactly the same thing for my 67 Delta. Just one thing. Lose that ball from an Autostick 1, as it isn't even the correct shift pattern for a Dual Gate.
Old May 6th, 2024, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Very nice work. I've been contemplating exactly the same thing for my 67 Delta. Just one thing. Lose that ball from an Autostick 1, as it isn't even the correct shift pattern for a Dual Gate.
Yeah I noticed it when I received the ball.....
Old May 6th, 2024, 07:14 AM

Looks good.

You COULD use a small rocket up on the RH corner of the plate a la 70-72 factory style. Just nip the studs off and 3M double sticky tape the rocket on the dual gate plate up there for that Oldsmobile touch. Just an option.
Old May 6th, 2024, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Looks good.

You COULD use a small rocket up on the RH corner of the plate a la 70-72 factory style. Just nip the studs off and 3M double sticky tape the rocket on the dual gate plate up there for that Oldsmobile touch. Just an option.

That is on my to do list......I kept it off the 68 console plate.....going to touchbit up a bit. ...its black and chrome.....not the red and chrome like the 69's.

Last edited by Big Dawg; May 6th, 2024 at 08:27 AM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 08:24 AM
Olds Fanatic

Very nice!
Old May 6th, 2024, 12:10 PM

Here are a couple of pics of the console plate, underlay with burl vinyl and the hurst plate with the rocket emblem now on!!

Old May 7th, 2024, 09:43 PM

Hi again, I spent a few hours on the shifter again today. Today my main goal was to get the Neutral Safety/Reverse Switch mounted and working. It took alot of measuring and getting the angle perfect on the switch on the mounting bracket, but I got the safety neutral reverse switch all mounted and working with no binding of any kind. I took the switch apart and reversed the arm so it was in line with shifter cable mounting pin. I used an Ohm meter and made sure that shifter positioning and the safety switch were in line and beeping on the Meter exactly when it was supposed. I'm pretty proud of myself for getting she shifter and switch all setup in a couple days. Now I just need to get the motor and trans in and get the shifter cable all buttoned up.....luckily I have 4 cables and 3 mounting brackets to choose from and see which will work.

Last edited by Big Dawg; May 7th, 2024 at 10:04 PM.
Old May 7th, 2024, 09:46 PM

Quick question is this solenoid neutral switch as well? I'm not using it, but going to leave it there as it isn't effecting anything.

Old May 8th, 2024, 06:55 AM

Says this thread was moved...to where was it moved too?