do I need a trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM

do I need a trans cooler?

1970 cutlass,455,400 B&M trans. engine is mild(basically stock with fresh rebuild,a little cam added etc.) @1400 full size stall.I had a aluminum radiator built for it and the radiator builder said no need for the cooler as the new rad is built with 4 cores cooling and has the big trans cooler in the tank.just wanted some other input. I do drop the hammer now and then(well maybe more than not) and is mainly street driven,I will probably run down the 1/8 a little to see what it runs,but is mainly street in nice weather.any replies greatly appreciated
thanks--jack
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Ok here is what I will say. You have the cooler in the radiator. But one can never be too safe. Do you plan on shifting it manually from time to time? If so I would add a cooler.
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:02 AM

Cheap insurance
JKaz
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:24 AM

Doesn't hurt to be safe
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:39 AM

From your description, it does not sound neccessary, BUT I agree with the others - it is cheap insurance.
If you live in the south where "nice" weather is still 90*, the cooler will be even more desirable.
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:43 AM

x5

You should definitely have a cooler in the radiator. If you are having an aftermarket radiator built you could always spend extra and have an external transmission cooler built. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:11 AM

Yes, x100
Remember, if the engine ever get's hot, so does the transmission.
Many newer cars (I know yours is not) have plastic thrust bearings that can melt.
I even put one on my wife's Kia.
Mount the cooler to receive the fluid after the radiator does.
Very inexpensive insurance.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; October 21st, 2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by kaz442
Cheap insurance
JKaz
X2 I put them on everything
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Use the largest one you can and try to bolt it up ...
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Warhead
Many newer cars (I know yours is not) have plastic thrust bearings that can melt.
Huh???
Plastic bearings? Geez... Glad I drive older cars.
I wonder when the plastic pistons will be introduced...
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM

cooler all the way i have a funny story about one sorry if it offends some !!! I worked a uHAUL and installed hitches and trans coolers there was this training and we couldnt find anyone but a rather large lady that wanted to use her vehicle to train new employees on.. lets just say the geo metro she drove she barley fit in! and I would say that was a car in need of a trans cooler for sure lol
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM

thanks for all the replies and majority rules!it is getting a external cooler
can someone tell me which is in and out (high and low)at the radiator?not saying they haven't been screwed up at the trans also as this was a 350/350 car originally and was converted before I got it with a big car 455/400 swap.I guess the best way to know for sure would be to leave both lines cracked loose and start up and the first to spew fluid would be in?my guess would be the supply (pressure)would be the top and the lower the return but just a guess
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM

when doing this use the one in the radiator and the external one 2x the trans cooling
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:41 AM

The top line runs to the cooler in the radiator using the top hole. The bottom hole in for the cooler in the radiator runs to the top of the external cooler. Than the bottom on the external cooler runs to the bottom on the trans.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:55 PM

Hmm, I guess I am on the other side of the debate.

From what I have read an internal radiator transmission cooler is really all you will ever need in terms of keeping the fluid temp from getting too high, and it also has the added benefit of actually heating cold tranny fluid up to optimal operating temp.

A secondary heat exhchanger bolted infront or behind the main radiator that is dedicated to transmission fluid is much less efficient at raising it to optimal temp and in very cold weather can actually prevent it from reaching optimal temp. I want to say I also read somewhere that it can lessen the overall air flow through the radiator and cause problems, but my own thought would be the reduction is negligable.

My understanding was that secondary heat exchangers originally came to be, as a quick cheap fix for when an in-radiator unit was leaking as they are a PITA to repair.

Admittedly, Racing and "Manu-Matic" applications are probably a whole 'nother story though...

Just my $.02

WOW! What an IDIOT this guy was... Who let him post on here?

Last edited by Coltonis; October 28th, 2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Is talking out your @$$ a valid reason?
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:18 AM

[quote=Coltonis;118975]Hmm,
My understanding was that secondary heat exchangers originally came to be, as a quick cheap fix for when an in-radiator unit was leaking as they are a PITA to repair.

That's not smart to use it as a quick fix better off to take the radiator to get it fixed.

I have used second coolers on all rwd cars. My trucks I've used them because I use my trucks as trucks and I tow with them. I use to drag race a lot If I didn't use one the trans wouldn't last. A 50 dollar cooler is cheaper than a 500-750 dollar trans.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; October 27th, 2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM

I agree that it would not be smart, I wasn't advocating it. The proper fix would be to stop the leak, not to mention flush the water and oil systems that were intermingled.

And yes, I forgot to mention this one, but towing heavy loads would also be a prime use case for a secondary cooler as there would be much more heat produced from all the frictions and the torque converter. (Loosely equivalent to a car purpose-built for racing.)

But for a car built for the street even running races, I would say save your $50 based on the info I have seen an internal radiator unit is all that is needed to keep the fluid temp down. And since there are potentially some downsides with over-doing-it with the secondary heat exchanger, it seems unnecessary to me.

Wow this Idiot is still going... Is there a mute button for stupid people anywhere in the preferences?

Last edited by Coltonis; October 28th, 2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Coltonis
Hmm, I guess I am on the other side of the debate.

From what I have read an internal radiator transmission cooler is really all you will ever need in terms of keeping the fluid temp from getting too high, and it also has the added benefit of actually heating cold tranny fluid up to optimal operating temp.

A secondary heat exhchanger bolted infront or behind the main radiator that is dedicated to transmission fluid is much less efficient at raising it to optimal temp and in very cold weather can actually prevent it from reaching optimal temp. I want to say I also read somewhere that it can lessen the overall air flow through the radiator and cause problems, but my own thought would be the reduction is negligable.

Admittedly, Racing and "Manu-Matic" applications are probably a whole 'nother story though...

Just my $.02
DOOOD...I can not believe you are saying this!
Check any car in AZ with 50k+ mileage, that does not have a cooler, for burnt transmission fluid. All will be burnt, unless it was changed.
Radiator only based units are inadequate for ALL cars in this sate, and for most vehicles even back east.
Hell, even the Post Office put them on all of their trucks in Phoenix, saved them tons of money.
Jim in Phx

Last edited by Warhead; October 27th, 2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM

im in oregon and use one on every thing $50 for a good cooler is waaaaay cheeper than a $500 plus bill and every trans i have had pro built comes with a cooler!!!!!
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:20 AM

Ummm...yeeeaaaah, about that....

So I started to wonder and went back and looked at the book I had *ahem* thought I had read this info in. Lets just say I had more things bass-ackwards than I would care to list...

The one paragraph I remembered quite vividly as talking about aux. cooler vs no cooler and was in fact debating aux. cooler in-line with rad unit vs aux. cooler stand alone.

Everything I said in previous posts ... disregard.

Auxiliary transmission coolers are the greatest thing since sliced bread, who knew!? (well aside from all you guys, that is.)

HAH! That'll teach you guys to let me give advice around here...