DM Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2014, 08:00 AM

DM Transmission Fluid

Is DM transmission fluid backwards compatible to the Dextron III/Mercon Standards.

I was a little low on transmission fluid the other night, and it's what I had in my trunk, so I thought it would be better than not having enough, I didn't drive far, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer either way. It says it's designed to be used in all domestic and import auto's, except those that require Dextron VI or Mercon V. So I think I'm okay?

Just never heard of DM fluid before. Sorry for the newb question.
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Oldsdruid

Used to be everything but Fords could use either Type A or Dexron successfully, and only Fords required their own Type F fluid.

Now every transmission out there requires its own specially formulated fluid or its manufacturer claims all grades of hateful things and mayhem will happen. You can blame the Germans and Japanese for this.

If it's an earlier THM or Jetaway I think you'll be fine using this DM (which I've never heard of either).
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Used to be everything but Fords could use either Type A or Dexron successfully, and only Fords required their own Type F fluid.

Now every transmission out there requires its own specially formulated fluid or its manufacturer claims all grades of hateful things and mayhem will happen. You can blame the Germans and Japanese for this.

If it's an earlier THM or Jetaway I think you'll be fine using this DM (which I've never heard of either).
Yeah, it's a 72 TH350. The label seems to state it's okay, but the wierd DM notation scared me a bit.

Thanks for the input!