dimensions of slim jim?

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2009, 05:26 AM

dimensions of slim jim?

Hi, again, needing more info since I'm not at home to measure myself. Maybe someone has a slim jim sitting in the shop they can measure.

What is the total length?

what is the length from bellhousing face to mount bolts?

Do you think the overall body diameter is about the same size/smallerbigger than a 700r4?

I found measurements easy on the 700r4. I'm just trying to prep as much as possible so less surprises when I start on this project.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM

remind me on thursday evening and i'll tell you, i'm pulling mine out of a 1963 olds 98, anyone got any advice on this transmission? (other than throw it away?) ;-)
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:51 AM

what are you putting in?

Ok....more update and questions if ANYONE can help.

So I found the adapter kit that Bendtsen's makes which looks more enticing than adapting a bellhousing, but then there's the problem of the trans tunnel. This kit pushes the trans back quite a bit. Hard to tell without trial and error whether you'd have to cut the tunnel either way.

Ok soooo the 200r4 is shorter but the overall body looks to be the same size as a 700r4. I REALLY don't want to cut the floorboard but if it means using the shorter trans, I will. If I have to cut the tunnel no matter what I use, then who knows what the hell I'll do.

If anyone can shed some light on this conversion in a starfire...please help.
thanks
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by 64starfire
Ok....more update and questions if ANYONE can help.

So I found the adapter kit that Bendtsen's makes which looks more enticing than adapting a bellhousing, but then there's the problem of the trans tunnel. This kit pushes the trans back quite a bit. Hard to tell without trial and error whether you'd have to cut the tunnel either way.

Ok soooo the 200r4 is shorter but the overall body looks to be the same size as a 700r4. I REALLY don't want to cut the floorboard but if it means using the shorter trans, I will. If I have to cut the tunnel no matter what I use, then who knows what the hell I'll do.

If anyone can shed some light on this conversion in a starfire...please help.
thanks
Ross Racing Engines has just come up with an adapter to put a th400 or th350, (probably 700r4 and 2004r too) behind first gen Olds Rocket such as yours. Picture is below.

You may want to check with:

Tony
330-720-1282 c

trans%20001.jpg
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:03 AM

thanks but i'll stick with all original on this one. my bel-air will be a total freakshow though. I have got a 700r4 ( i think) up at my stepdad's shop and when I get my slimjim out, I can compare them for you if you like. Let me know if you still need those dimensions on thursday, I've got some help coming over to start tearing into mine.

I'm not a weirdo about keeping stuff all original, in fact I Think most original equipment is junk, plus good luck finding parts when you break down in the middle of nowhere alabama. but this car is number 134 off of the line and according to the last owner who had it "registered" with some organization it is the earliest known to exist, so that will be a selling point, if it is all original...
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:15 PM

ok finally got some info

Ok got ahold of a guy through some other forum. He went with dave smith's conversion and didn't have to cut the floor...it was a 700r4. His friend had to pound a couple of spots but got it in. Could probably tweek the trans crossmemeber or something otherwise.

The bolt in kit from Bernsdat..um is that the name....will definitly require cutting the floor. But this leaves you open to other trans's later on and or not having to get a whole new case redone if the case cracks or becomes un rebuildable. Since my car had been carefully rebuilt to factory, I opted for the mod'd case. If I was building a car that was considerably modified, I would go with the bolt on kit.

Hope this info helps.
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM

sweet, i may end up doing that and just leaving the slim jim in the trunk in case the people want to complain about it not being original. Seems like you could fab up a transmission crossmember pretty easily and keep the old transmission, crossmember, and driveshaft to go with the car if the buyer wants it. I'm going to tinker on my slim jim some tomorrow and over the weekend, if I can't get it going easily I may try to get my stepfather to give me one of his 700's. It would definitely be nice to drive the car fast and hard, rather than baby it to protect an obsolete transmission. I'm not wanting to make it unoriginal, but if everything I did was just bolt on then that may be the way to go. I'll post the measurements of the slim jim on here when I get the car up in the air.