Column Shifter Issue

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2022, 10:32 AM

Column Shifter Issue

I recently put headers on my 69 Cutlass. Its got a 455 so things were a bit tight, but they fit. When I went to put it in gear the shifter was stiff and difficult to move. I went under and too a look and the linkage is hitting a tube at one point. I pried it off a slight amount giving it a little clearance. The shifter remains stiff and though it can be moved the linkage at the trans is not moving. From the pics I see in the Assembly manual they don't show enough for me to determine if possibly something has sheared at the top of the column, where the lever connects to a rod. I assume I forced something that just couldn't take it. Is it at the top or the bottom of the rod in the steering column? Unfortunately I have learned too much about this car by creating more problems than I fix somedays.
thanks for any help.
Steve

Old February 9th, 2022, 09:31 PM

Classic example of one thing leading to another!! Easiest way to prevent that is to leave the cars alone, but what fun is that?!

Id start with disconnecting the linkage from the column, see if the shifter is still stiff. Then you will know if the problem is in the column, or further down the line. If the column movement is smooth, disconnect the linkage from the trans, see if it moves freely. If so, then it’s got to be a problem with how the linkage is orientated. You may have something bent to where it will move, but it’s in a bind.
Old February 10th, 2022, 05:09 AM

1st off, thanks for the reply. So I dove into it a bit yesterday. Looking down from the top I couldn't see much so I removed the wiper motor. Now there is a clear view and access to pull the pin on the top of the linkage/rod. As you suggested I could see that the shifter was working correctly. I cleaned up the rod and repainted it. It has a lot of marks on the lower end from prior adjustments. While it is out I have put a slight bend in it to clear the headers. I'll be putting it back in later this morning as see how it goes. Hopefully good.

Steve