Column to floor shift swap

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2019, 07:56 PM

Can someone please tell me in detail how to convert my column shift so I can use a floor shift in my 72 Cutlass.
I know I have to pull the pin and remove the shift lever and grind off the hump, but how do you lock the column so the neutral safety switch still works. What happens to the linkage?

Thanks
Old December 18th, 2019, 03:03 AM

The neutral safety switch is in the console. The linkage to the column is designed to prevent the keys from being removed unless the shifter is in park.
Old December 18th, 2019, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The neutral safety switch is in the console. The linkage to the column is designed to prevent the keys from being removed unless the shifter is in park.
Incorrect sir, they only did that through 1970. His 1972 will have the neutral safety switch at the base of the column just like a column shifted car. The back drive turns the column and it was cheaper to just use one design for both setups.
Depending on what shifter you go with will determine how you solve this issue. If you go with a stock shifter and console, all you need to so is swap the linkage arm on the transmission for one designed for a floor shifter. It will have the connections for both the cable and the backdrive linkage. An aftermarket shifter MAY be able to do this as well, but I have never seen one utilized like that. Usually the column gets locked in place and the shifter will come with switches that bolt to it for the backup lights and neutral safety functions.
Either way you will need to swap the linkage on the transmission.
This is the factory piece needed for a factory shifter.
Old December 18th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Thank you sir, much appreciated! Problem solved.
Old December 19th, 2019, 08:24 AM

Post lots of photos and notes of your conversion...I need to do the same thing in a couple of months :-D
Old December 19th, 2019, 05:29 PM

Matt, I think only in 1970 the neutral safety switch was in the console. in 71-72 it stays on the column on both column and console shift. On console shift, the backdrive linkage moves the switch as you move the shifter in the console.

So for the poster's question, you do not have do anything, the linkage connects the switch to the transmission,
Old December 19th, 2019, 05:31 PM

I just did this last year on a 1971, not that bad. Get a copy of the assembly manual, it will help you greatly with the measurements etc.
Old December 19th, 2019, 05:32 PM

For the OP, I got this from Original parts group.
Old December 19th, 2019, 05:38 PM

Shows the backdrive and how it connects
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
backdrive099.pdf (807.5 KB, 56 views)
Old December 19th, 2019, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by PatL
Shows the backdrive and how it connects
You posted a picture of a manual transmission, not a floor shifter for an automatic.
Old December 19th, 2019, 06:37 PM

Yes, I know, if you look at the upper left, it shows how the backdrive attaches to the steering column. The OP was asking how to deal with the neutral safety switch on the column.
Old December 20th, 2019, 12:04 PM

I have it figured out and working. When I complete the conversion I will post how I did it and also post pics.
Thanks for the info.
Old July 16th, 2023, 06:31 PM

Linkage or no linkage (after conversion)

Originally Posted by 72cutlass442clone
I have it figured out and working. When I complete the conversion I will post how I did it and also post pics.
Thanks for the info.
Well? Did you figure it out?
i have a 72 that was converted from column to floor.
but the column linkage is still hooked up.
Can i just disconnect that linkage?

Or do i need to continue to have that connected so it rotates the base of the column?

My linkage is so loose sometimes it doesnt rotate enough, is there a bushings kit for that linkage available to tighten it up (if i haveto keep it)

Thanks
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:31 AM

The linkage on the column will need to be connected the same way as if it's a column shift because the neutral safety switch is located at the base of the column. You will notice the column still rotates when you move the floor shifter. If I understand correctly about loose linkage it could be an adjustment or its wore out. When I installed my floor shift it is very tight and I had to fine tune the adjustments before I could get it to shift in all the gears. I sometimes have to rotate the column by hand when I put it in park to remove the key because it won't rotate all the way.
I woild like to talk on the phone if possible but i dont want to post my number on the forum. I'm not familiar on how this forum stuff works completely.
I hope this helps.
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:49 AM

The linkage on the column will need to be connected the same way as if it's a column shift because the neutral safety switch is located at the base of the column. You will notice the column still rotates when you move the floor shifter. If I understand correctly about loose linkage it could be an adjustment or its wore out. When I installed my floor shift it is very tight and I had to fine tune the adjustments before I could get it to shift in all the gears. I sometimes have to rotate the column by hand when I put it in park to remove the key because it won't rotate all the way.
I woild like to talk on the phone if possible but i dont want to post my number on the forum. I'm not familiar on how this forum stuff works completely.
I hope this helps.
Thank you for the feedback.
So you still have to rotate the column sometimes even though you adjusted everything and the linkage?
That seems frustrating.
Old July 18th, 2023, 04:07 PM

I found it I dont shift to "Park" with a little "authority" it's fine. If I don't I sometimes I will then have to rotate the column to remove the key. One of these days I will get under there and adjust it some more. I really don't drive the car often enough to worry about it.
Old July 18th, 2023, 04:13 PM

I found it I dont shift to "Park" with a little "authority" it's fine. If I don't I sometimes I will then have to rotate the column to remove the key. One of these days I will get under there and adjust it some more. I really don't drive the car often enough to worry about it.
Ah OK. I try to drive mine as much as possible!

Old July 18th, 2023, 04:39 PM

Supe
Beautiful car!
I also shaved the old column shift, plugged the hole and painted it........looks factory. I had to remove the shift indicator from the dash as well, I didnt want to replace the speedo so i fudged it and now it also looks factory. At least the judges haven't noticed it.
Old July 18th, 2023, 04:41 PM

The last pic has the wrong wheels
Old July 18th, 2023, 05:29 PM

Supe
Beautiful car!
I also shaved the old column shift, plugged the hole and painted it........looks factory. I had to remove the shift indicator from the dash as well, I didnt want to replace the speedo so i fudged it and now it also looks factory. At least the judges haven't noticed it.

How did you shave it? And what did you fill it with?
I already fixed my speedo

Old July 18th, 2023, 05:53 PM

I removed the attachment for the shifter with a cutting wheel and grinder then used JB Weld. I had to put some type of backer (sorry, I cant recall specifically what I used) so the JB Weld would only be as thick as the existing metal and then finished it off like body work to prep for paint.