Anyone Used Re-Make Shifter from www.hurstshiftersonline.com

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2017, 11:45 AM

Anyone Used Re-Make Shifter from www.hurstshiftersonline.com

https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/...categories.asp

Company on line who is re-making Hurst shifters for Olds. I am looking for at a 70 hurst competion plus shifter for a console car. $600. Includes an install kit and shifter, rods, tabs, chrome H lever, ball.

Question: Has anyone every used these folks?

I have talked with one other person off ClassicOlds who has these parts used but they were higher than I wanted to pay. Does anyone else have these parts?

Thank you.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

First, that site is not Hurst. It is apparently a reseller. Second, no one is "re-making" anything. PN 3917308 that they show for the Olds applications is available new from Hurst. These are not repros of the original factory shifter, they are the best available fit using currently-offered Competition Plus shifter bodies and sticks. This same PN is the one listed for full size Chevy trucks, by the way.

That same shifter is available everywhere - Summit, Jegs, etc. Apparently Hurst is setting the price, because everyone has exactly the same price as Hurst shows on their web page. I guess I'd shop around for a discount or buy it when Summit/Jeg's/Speedway have discount days.

Personally, I'd buy an original and get it rebuilt.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:57 PM

I went to the Hurst site and used the part number mentioned. 3917308. It says application if the Buick Gran Sport. In looking at the shifter and chrome shift lever, it does not seem to have the bends in it to clear the console. Are you saying that a shifter, chrome lever, install kit--rods, tabs etc are available from Hurst? I could not find any applications at the Hurst site for 70 442.
Old June 4th, 2017, 05:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by David DeCan
I went to the Hurst site and used the part number mentioned. 3917308. It says application if the Buick Gran Sport. In looking at the shifter and chrome shift lever, it does not seem to have the bends in it to clear the console. Are you saying that a shifter, chrome lever, install kit--rods, tabs etc are available from Hurst? I could not find any applications at the Hurst site for 70 442.
What I am saying is that the shifter being sold on the hurstonline website you are asking about is NOT a repro of the original Olds stick. It appears to be the exact same part number as the one Hurst is selling. The fact that Hurst does not list it as an Olds shifter is irrelevent. All Competition Plus shifter bodies are the same. There are minor differences in the angle and location of the stick attachment provision. None of the new ones have the same stick attachment features as an original one for a Cutlass, so none use the original stick. Hurst sells a variety of shifter sticks in different shapes. Hurstonline has simply picked the one that is closest in fit and calls that the one for an Oldsmobile.
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:25 AM

You might try searching eBay for the correct OEM Hurst shifter, have the handle replated and rebuild the shifter body as needed. I have rebuilt several of them and they are pretty straightforward. The hardest part is keeping the shims in the proper order
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:30 AM

I understand. So you think if I call Hurst they can hook me up with a set up that is going to work with my 70 console?

I am not doing a resto or show car. But on the other hand it needs to function property and look stock. I do note on the HurstOnLine parts, that the chrome shift lever has two bolts to hold it to the shifter, while the stock Olds 4 speed of 70 vintage is a push in model with one bolt. Never had my hands on one previously. Maybe more differences.

So if this HurstOnLine is reselling Hurst parts I am not sure the downside? It does not look to me like they are more expensive. His package including Hurst Competition Plus shifter, chrome lever, two handles one a ball and one an aluminum t-handle, shift rods, tabs, bushing, clips etc around $600.

Also, I am not finding an application directly from Hurst that works? Thoughts?
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

I understand. So you think if I call Hurst they can hook me up with a set up that is going to work with my 70 console?
The problem is alignment with the factory 70-72 console. Waaaay back in the day, Hurst sold a correct aftermarket shifter for the 70-72 console. I bought one for the 72 that I owned at the time. Unlike the factory Hurst shifter for the console, which has an angled stick attachment feature and a special stick, the aftermarket version simply had an "L" shaped feature welded to the top of the shifter mechanism that aligned with the opening in the console. The aftermarket stick was simply a straight stick, not the complex one the factory used.

Here's the factory shifter:

While not the exact shifter I used, this gives you an idea of the one I bought as an aftermarket unit. These photos are for a 1969-72 Chevelle with console. This might be your best available option for a new shifter today.

I do note on the HurstOnLine parts, that the chrome shift lever has two bolts to hold it to the shifter, while the stock Olds 4 speed of 70 vintage is a push in model with one bolt. Never had my hands on one previously. Maybe more differences.
All GM factory Competition Plus shifters used the snap-in stick to streamline the assembly line. All aftermarket Competition Plus shifters use the two-bolt attachment. That's the way it's always been.

So if this HurstOnLine is reselling Hurst parts I am not sure the downside? It does not look to me like they are more expensive. His package including Hurst Competition Plus shifter, chrome lever, two handles one a ball and one an aluminum t-handle, shift rods, tabs, bushing, clips etc around $600.
Personally, for the same price I'd buy direct from Hurst. Or, since I'm cheap, I'd wait until Summit or Jegs or Speedway sends me one of their discount codes and then buy from them for less money.

Also, I am not finding an application directly from Hurst that works? Thoughts?
See my comments above.
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

By the way, that Chevelle shifter is available new under P/N 3918014 from all the usual sources.
Old June 4th, 2017, 07:09 AM

Great help. Thank I have an email into David's. dd
Old June 4th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Great help. Thank I have an email into David's. dd
Again, that's just a photo I stole off the web for illustration. You can buy the Chevelle shifter anywhere.
Old June 4th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Here is one on ebay you might be interested in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-4-Spd-Competition-Plus-Shifter-Muncie-w-linkage-442-Chevelle-GTO-3915401F-/332227435469?hash=item4d5a4c5bcd:gboAAOSw3v5YoNA E&vxp=mtr
Old June 4th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Here is one on ebay you might be interested in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-4-Spd-...5YoNAE&vxp=mtr

That shifter is neither the correct factory shifter for a 70-72 console nor the new aftermarket Chevelle shifter with the the "L" shaped offset.
Old June 5th, 2017, 07:49 AM

In the early 1970's Hurst sold complete shifters in one box(shifter&install kit), and Hurst shifter #291-7822 was for a 1970-72 Olds A-body non-console...

The great part of this shifter was that it worked with the O.E.M reverse lock-out back-drive linkage...

A little later in the 1970's Hurst started selling shifters in two box's, shifter body and handle in one, and install kit in another. Now you could get install kit #373-8608, and console shifter #391-8792, or non-console shifter #391-6848...

I have some of this stuff in stock...

Hope this helps... Crash ---- crash_enterprises@yahoo.com
Old June 5th, 2017, 07:57 AM

emailed you.
Old June 5th, 2017, 11:27 AM

Contact Dennis Maroudas dba DME 606-237-6648
He specializes in OEM Hurst shifter rebuilding/handle chrome plating. I had him bend the commonly found 67-69 442 stick to match the contours of the 70-72 console stick. He had it chrome plated then matched it to the correct angled lower mechanism that was rebuilt and replated like new. He does top notch work.
Old June 5th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Cory

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Here's the factory shifter:

I have one of those shifter bodies with the angled snap in receiver but without the correct chrome handle
Old June 5th, 2017, 01:11 PM

The angles receiver was used on a lot of different vehicles. The one I used was off 73 Camaro.
Old June 5th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4speed455
The angles receiver was used on a lot of different vehicles. The one I used was off 73 Camaro.
I thought so. I've seen ones on ebay that looked similar. Of course, the correct stick for a 70-72 console is very hard to find and priced accordingly. The last one I saw on ebay was asking something like $295 - for just the stick.
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:24 PM

The correct shifter # is 7169, stamped on the bottom of the shifter handle.

The correct Hurst shifter mechanism is stamped 3138.

Be aware that the factory unit uses rubber bushings, while the factory unit uses metal bushings.