700r4 conversion-Rochester 4GC TV cable

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM

700r4 conversion-Rochester 4GC TV cable

I have looked all over recent threads and have not came up with any information-so decided to ask...Here is the scenario.

We have a 1963 Oldsmobile Starfire convertible that has a 394 w/a Rochester 4GC. The rotohydramatic has been changed to a 700r4. The problem is there is not a bolt on bracket or easy solution to the mounting of the TV cable-(throttle valve). Or maybe there is and hopefully someone has seen it. I have talked with many trans links on some recent threads. A possible scenario is a gas pedal mounted cable from Lokar. I contacted Lokar and they said no such application. I am up in arms about this.

Any help from a transmission guru or someone who has seen a application such as this modifield would be of great help
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:43 PM

If you get a bracket from a mid-80's 'corporate' motor, it can be modified as necessary.
I just rebuit a 4GC yesterday, but did/didn't notice a place you could drill to mount the ball for the TV cable.
The Holley catalog shows bracketry you shoud be able to adapt.
Remember seeing a dimension for the bracket to mounting point on the carb somewhere, maybe someone else knows the measurement.
Let us know how it works out!

Last edited by Rickman48; April 8th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
The Holley catalog shows bracketry you shoud be able to adapt.
Remember seeing a dimension for the bracket to mounting point on the carb somewhere, maybe someone else knows the measurement.
Let us know how it works out!
Rickman48- way cool- Hopefully someone can buzz in with dimensions or how they have done this before.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:43 PM

I actually manufactured a bracket that seems to shift well and the vehicle drives smoothly. I think the original problem was that the cable was being pulled at a idle, which was telling the transmission to hold before shifting-pressure was up and now at full throttle the trans double kicks down. Something about driving a big car and the sound of the roar of a four barrel- Hmmm I wonder what it would sound like with dual quads