'65 F85 tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2015, 02:05 PM

'65 F85 tranny leak

Took my new to me '65 f85 to local tranny shop, when I finally got it running after a 10 yr. sleep. Tranny was bone dry, but after I topped with fluid it took right off without a hitch. Left huge puddles overnight or two, so the shop kept it a couple days and calls, all fixed. Where was it leaking? Everywhere, he says. That'll be $139. Guess what, big puddles. Just looking under car's fresh puddle, appears to be dripping from trans cross member, none from front or rear seal, or pan (new pan gasket from shop) What could be leaking from above cross member? Thanks
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Your just going to have to clean it off, put some cardboard under it. Once its clean blow some baking soda around the case above where you see the puddles. Let it sit and follow the stream. The baking soda will rinse off easily but it will show the path of the fluid. The fluid needs to be checked with the engine warmed, running, and in park or neutral. If its over full it will leak.
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:32 PM

tranny leak

O.K. I got the trans shop to look things over again today. They said the speedometer gear was causing the leak and told me they got a replacement on order.
What do you think of that determination?
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by pappy
What do you think of that determination?
Sounds like a good possibility. Actually, I'm more impressed that they can order a replacement speedometer cable for a '65 Cutlass so easily!
Old June 9th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Administrator

The cable is readily available. It could be that.
Old June 9th, 2015, 05:40 PM

Tranny leak

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Sounds like a good possibility. Actually, I'm more impressed that they can order a replacement speedometer cable for a '65 Cutlass so easily!

That might be a bit worrisome. He said he could not find a listing, so he's going by size, shape, tooth count etc. We'll see.
Anyway, got to have it back thurs. cause glass guy is coming to me for new windshield replacement.
Thanks all for replies.
Old June 9th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Is he looking for a gear, cable, or the O ring seal??
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:52 PM

Said he ordered a new gear. He replaced o-ring or whatever seal on speedo cable on first attempt. Again he's cross referencing measurements and tooth count from old gear. Just don't know (he or I) how close the measurements are.
By the way, can the cable be replaced or serviced from the tranny side?
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Said he ordered a new gear. He replaced o-ring or whatever seal on speedo cable on first attempt. Again he's cross referencing measurements and tooth count from old gear. Just don't know (he or I) how close the measurements are.
By the way, can the cable be replaced or serviced from the tranny side?
The cable has NOTHING to do with any trans leak. The seal is between the speedo driven gear in the trans and the adapter on the side of the trans that it fits into. There is no seal in the cable itself. If your trans guy has replaced the plastic gear (which can wear) and BOTH the inside and outside seals on the adapter, that's good.

If you need to replace the cable for other reasons (speedo is jumping erratically, for example) the inner cable comes in and out of the sheath from the speedo end, not the trans end. The flex cable itself is easy to get and can be cut to length. The issue is sometimes the sheath if that needs to be replaced.
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:11 AM

The reason I was wondering if the cable was serviceable from the trans end was so that it might be lubed while working on gear replacement, not that it had anything to do with a leak. I'm sure it could use servicing.
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

The reason I was wondering if the cable was serviceable from the trans end was so that it might be lubed while working on gear replacement, not that it had anything to do with a leak. I'm sure it could use servicing.
Not unless you have a speedo cable lubricator tool:

This tool screws into the end of the cable once you take it off the trans and allows you to put a grease gun on it. I had never seen them before and acquired a set at Carlisle last year. Haven't had the chance to use it yet.

Without the tool, you need to pull the cable out of the sheath from the speedo end, as there is usually a swaged washer that prevents it from going out the other end. Frankly, that's the better way to lube the cable, as I worry about the grease getting evenly distributed inside the sheath when using the grease gun tool.
Old June 10th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Very good info! If tranny guy doesn't have one, I need one of those anyway. Thanks
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:11 PM

Well good for me, the guy got my speedo gear, installed it and no extra charge since I already paid for speedo cable seal installation. Just charged 8 bucks for the gear. Best news is, no more leak! Rare, stand up guy.

AND stand up guy number 2 came to my shop and installed a new windshield in 20 min. flat (w/helper). Only $235 complete.

Now I'm thinking Classic Torq Thrust II and some new rubber, and I'm cruisin'
Old June 11th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Glad your got it fixed.