63 starfire slim jim operation question?

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2011, 03:51 PM

63 starfire slim jim operation question?

Hey, I'm just gettIng my 63 out on some road tests to see what's operational in the process of my restoration from this thread
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ct-begins.html

So ive been adjusting the tv rod and going through the 63 manual and I'm confused about how this transmission is suposse to shift. I might have it right and am not sure. I'll try my best to explain. It's been a few years since we had our last 63 and I forget how it operated and keep in mind I'm 28, I didn't grow up with these cars so I have no idea.

I have the transmission going through 2 upshifts in "D" range or drive. The first harder odd shift these slim Jims do very soon after pulling away @ 15-20mph (speedometer cable isn't hooked up yet) and then 1 more upshift around 35-42mph maybe. On stopping the car it goes back to the gear it pulls away in just as I remember it doing with an odd feeling downshift but I know that's correct for how these trannys use to operate.

Here is my first confusion question, in drive range am I infact pulling away in 2nd gear and then right into 3rd very soon followed by 4th later around 40mph? I ask this because the manual is confusing me a bit and with this I quote section 3-1 of hydramatic full size car "in D range the transmission starts in first and shifts automatically to second, third and fourth". Then onto 3-74 under road test it says "NOTE: there are only two gear upshifts in drive range, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to fourth"? Does that not contradict itself?

Now I'm wondering if I'm infact pulling away in 2nd and have it working properly or am I not getting into 4th and am still scratching my head. I wonder this because after more reading I come across this on 3-3 of the manual regarding downshifts in drive range "when the transmission is in fourth drive range, and the driver take his foot off the accelerator, the transmission will automatically downshift from fourth to second at approx 7mph" which is that strange tranny feeling u get when you come to a stop of it gping back to what I thought was suposse to be first gear but it only says at 7mph it goes back to 2nd gear and says the same basically if your using the tranny in Super Range that it goes back to 2nd at 7mph. Nowhere does it make any mention of it going back to first gear?

Is there a first gear in drive range and 3 upshifts or does it pull away in 2nd quickly followed by that rough shift to 3rd then onto 4th and only 2 upshifts? Is first gear only in low range or something because it says in low it will not shift to 3rd and only uses first and second?

Anyone able to paint a picture of how your properly running slim Jim shifts in drive range? Hope this is making some sense how I've explained it, and Steve if your reading this I'm not far from needing to have you give me a test drive so I can see how it's actually suppose to work haha.

Thanks for any input

Last edited by 62Starfire63; September 5th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Oldsdruid

The "1-2" shift happens inside the Accel-A-Rotor within a few feet of the car moving forward and is pretty much imperceptible. There is enough difference in speed that Oldsmobile considered it a shift, though for all practical purposes the Roto is a 3-speed unit. If it goes thru two distinct shifts, sounds like it's working about normal for a Roto.

The Chassis Service Manual is confusing. It took me picking up an obscure troubleshooting manual that HydraMatic Division put out in mid 1962 for me to really "get" how these things work. Digging thru antique shops can often produce amazing things!
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:23 PM

I once saw a hydramatic roto 10 manual on eBay converted onto a DVD I think. Was wondering if I would need to go that far and try and find it again and purchase it. Thanks for that feedback. Any more is welcome
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM

the shifting pattern you are describing is correct, the shift pattern is as Glen described it, first is only used when you first put the car in drive and won't go back into first until you manually shift it out of drive and back into drive like when you are backing up in a parking space and go from reverse back to drive. If you want to go back into first at a stop light you need to shift to N then back to D and the trans will go back into first. These tranys run in the 2-3-4 ( forth being a 1-1 lock-up ) range after you have pulled away from the first braking or stopping.
Hope this helps you out Brad
Steve
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Well these comments have definately helped. Sounds like I might have it working properly which is great news. I can't believe 1st is so unpronounced it's like it isn't even there but atleast I can stop searching for 4th cause it sounds like I got it and get the tv rod adjusted as best I can for the 2 upshifts I can actually hear/feel/adjust.