5 speed options

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Tony

Originally Posted by WTony
I have a brand new richmond gear 5 speed I took out of a doomed project car I purchased years ago and have been itching to put it into something. Im putting it in my 70 442 convertible with a stock 455 and 2.56 12 bolt posi rear. It will be similar to an overdrive and since the trans has a 3.28 first gear, first gear will feel the same as having a M20 with a 3.32 rear gear. I can live with that for a driver. Not looking to race it with slicks or drag radials so the torque issue shouldnt be a problem if the car doesnt hook up. Plus, that 500ft# tq is at 3200(?) rpm? Unless your power shifting and not taking your foot off the gas, it shouldnt be in that high of torque range right?
Sounds like a good setup
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Tony

Wink

Originally Posted by 1964f-85
What is a muncie 3x?
Wheel hop wil kill any moving part, i used to have air shocks and station wagon springs in the back, very violent wheel hop, blew a sagnaw into bits, the cluster gear was laying on the ground! Stock springs, good shocks and the lower control arms, parallel to the ground, now it rises up in the back when i stand on it. Generally i do burn outs from a rolling start and dont power break, it just spins both wheels for yards. Loads of fun!
I broke it 3 times in one summer I have changed my control arms since then its helped alot
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Tony

Originally Posted by z11375ss
A great color combo I must say on both cars. Tobin was my runnin buddy. Had to put him down recently. Going to miss him a lot this summer. Every Friday and Saturday we would hit the car shows and walk through. He never wore a leash. Too cool. What a mellow gentleman he was. People knew him and didn't know me! What a hoot.
Yes I have had a few dogs like that a guy really misses them my lab is almost 10 now but hes still a blast and the smartest dog I have ever had. He goes into the tractor supply store with me and all the help knows his name and feeds him treats Mans best friend for sure
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Senior Moment Member

That's my Tobin! He would come into all the car shops and parts stores with me. All the guys were glad to see and vice versa.
Old March 26th, 2015, 02:32 PM

Hello Guys,

I know this is a bit outdated but I thought I would ask anyway...those of you that have converted to a 5spd (TKO, Legend, T56, etc), do you weldthe olds stamped sheetmetal boot to the tunnel when you are done?

I have a 72 Cutlass S that was a column shift car with bench seats. From what I am reading this won't be a problem...especially with the Legend 700.

Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to get all of the parts together so make the reassembly as easy as possible...thanks again! Oh and any pictures always help!
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:43 PM

My car was also a column shift bench seat combo, and I personally did NOT weld in the Olds manual trans hump. I am not going for a factory look, I plan on using a small aftermarket console between the seats that will not extend far enough forward to be near the shifter. I opted to NOT use the offset shifter handle, mostly because I'm 6'5" and thought having the shifter dead center would be best, and I like where it ended up. I can always move the shifter to the other side of the stub if I want to bring it about an 1 inch over to the driver side.

Shifter is in neutral in these pictures.

The rubber boot is screwed to the floor with self tappers. I will then have a nice leather boot attached to the carpet. My goal is something like this: