4l60E behind my toro engine

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM

4l60E behind my toro engine

Hi guys, I am not conversant at all really with the abovementioned trans.

Have one offered to me for $500 . how`s that $ wise ?

How would it be behind my 425 toro ??

Need an adaptor plate?

I understand it is a 4 speed and as I will be doing road only use , that must be a plus economy -wise

Any info is appreciated
thanks
mike
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by geckonz08

How would it be behind my 425 toro ??

Need an adaptor plate?

I understand it is a 4 speed and as I will be doing road only use , that must be a plus economy -wise

Any info is appreciated
thanks
mike
The 4L60E does not come with a BOP bolt pattern. It has either the regular Chevy pattern (which will bolt up with an adapter) or the "metric" pattern used on the 60 degree V6 motors and the Series II 3800 motors. You will have a few other problems using this trans behind your 425. First, it is not strong enough. The 4L60 is derived from the 700R4. The "E" in 4L60E means that this version is electronically controlled and requires an ECM to control the trans. You can get an aftermarket version (for around $1000). Of course, you would need to adapt all the sensors to your engine - TPS, MAP, etc - for the controller to work.

The alternative is to get a beefed 200-4R. While weak in stock form, the Buick Turbo community has developed the parts and technologies to allow this trans to live behind a 9 second car. Expect to pay upwards of $1000 for a properly built 200-4R. The good news is that this trans bolts directly to your Olds motor and does not require a computer (though it does need a torque converter lockup system).
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM

If you are considering overdrive transmissions you should also consider an overdrive unit from Gear Vendors. They are pricey but I have only heard good things about their products.

http://www.gearvendors.com/
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by geckonz08

Any info is appreciated
thanks
mike
In my opinion......
That Sucks, and is a terrible price.

GM b.o.p transmissions are still a dime a dozen out here. I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for one that still works.
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
In my opinion......
That Sucks, and is a terrible price.

GM b.o.p transmissions are still a dime a dozen out here. I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for one that still works.
You apparently haven't priced any GM trans with an "E" in the name. This is not a run-of-the-mill TH350. It's not a BOP trans either, but that's a different problem as I noted above. By the way, I wouldn't waste the time putting a $50 TH350 in my car either.
Old December 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Thanks fellas .
All that negative but helpful feedback has certainly answered it for me . I don`t like the fact that it may not take the torque,it may cost $1000 for a puter --let alone setting everything to suit and I would need that adaptor plate .
Back to the th400 with o/d or beefed up 200-4r I believe
Again tx, very useful info
mike
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM

I'm with Joe on this one.I have a 96 impala ss and I have a 4l60e in mines and believe me.They're expensive.

I'm wondering though.....If he would go with a 700r4 with the adapter plate what else would he have to change to make it fit???
Crossmember?
Drive shaft?
Yoke?
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You apparently haven't priced any GM trans with an "E" in the name. This is not a run-of-the-mill TH350. It's not a BOP trans either, but that's a different problem as I noted above. By the way, I wouldn't waste the time putting a $50 TH350 in my car either.
Lol. Good point. However, I'm sure your cars aren't junk either. I have 4L80E frictions in my th400, but that's about all the "E" pricing/purchasing that I've ever dealt with. Believe it or not my 2 $50 dollar transmissions run pretty good.
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by projectheaven
I'm with Joe on this one.I have a 96 impala ss and I have a 4l60e in mines and believe me.They're expensive.

I'm wondering though.....If he would go with a 700r4 with the adapter plate what else would he have to change to make it fit???
Crossmember?
Drive shaft?
Yoke?
well ,to elucidate a little. The toro engine is going into a cadillac so I AM EXPECTING SOME X MEMBER INTERFERENCE AT LEAST unless I stick with an upgraded version of the 200 4r
I thought that the 4l60e was more or less an upgrade of the 700r4 --torque wise at least and with a warning from Joe re the potential to explode behind the 425 maybe the 700 is not such a good idea
cheers
mike