200-4r questions

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
Mike, these may help you too. I used to post a lot to Youtube, may start to again in the future, but these movies you can find by following more on my page may help you out with the 200-4R project! This is just one in a whole series of these things. There is a ton of stuff on the rebuild. The experience was very fun and a learning process! Regards, Howie.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=liiVSjoCWJA
Howie, I would like to thank you for those videos you put up and I watched years back now, to learn more on the 2004r/200r4 and the problems and work on them you faced. My 200r4 was built for a little more power than OEMs by someone far away and shipped to me, and resides in something much lighter, that takes little pedal to go faster with a 461 in my ride, so its in less of a position of being between a rock and a hard place with mine. I cringed every time you hit the gas, in that Vista Cruiser on the turns, in those videos with that transmission. Its not a TH400 LOL But I have to admit thats one way to test them, to see it they will hold up and are working right.

It was also nice to see the parts that failed and the parts you were trying out and somewhat how they go together. Pressure testing is also important in my view, once together and as people first drive them around. It took extra time and effort to make those videos and I thank you for the extra effort.
Old March 29th, 2018, 10:47 AM

200-4R cross member question

I have to admit I did not read your entire thread; quite lengthy. However, I have a question. I'm installing a 200-4R in my '70 442 and I'm wondering what I'm going to get into on the cross member? Thanks
Old March 29th, 2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wilson
I have to admit I did not read your entire thread; quite lengthy. However, I have a question. I'm installing a 200-4R in my '70 442 and I'm wondering what I'm going to get into on the cross member? Thanks
The crossmember would be in the same location basically, as the short tail transmission is. My ride already had that location for its short tail TH400, though not in Olds body, and it mounted easily right there. Doing things right takes time and reading and listening. A whole lot of it.
Old March 30th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Jet lagged & Hungry

Okay, its in a running. I'm outta town for 2 weeks so it will be a delay before I can enjoy it. Have an exhaust issue I'll have to sort out as soon as I'm back.

The CK kit is slick. I used a 2000 stall converter and can barely tell it shifts. I haven't had it out of the neighborhood or over 45 mph. Can't wait.

I know there was a solution for the parking brake setup after moving the rear cross member for the tranny swap. I could not find it. Can anyone share what parts we need for the parking brake?
Thanks
Old March 30th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Rodney

Mike:
I think you can use a parking brake cable kit for a TH400 transmission. I believe these cables are shorter than the TH350 cables because the crossmember is further back. I'm not sure if you need to change out the front cable assembly from the parking brake pedal. Glad you've got it running under it's own power again. I'm very jealous!
Old March 30th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mikejana
I know there was a solution for the parking brake setup after moving the rear cross member for the tranny swap. I could not find it. Can anyone share what parts we need for the parking brake?
Thanks
You need the longer forward cable and shorter mid cable like what is used on a BBO/TH400 car. I got mine from Rockauto.
Old March 30th, 2018, 11:42 AM

One of the things that freaked me out, when first driven with my 200r4 were the soft and quite and vibration free, but very fast shifts, at part throttle. Nothing like the old transmissions. More like some of the newer OD transmissions in heavier cars.

The tunnel over it did not exist at that point and I could hear it's sounds directly, and feel it with my hand on the ride home about 4 miles, without a cooler but with long lines on it, it never got very warm and that was without the lock up wiring install yet, so unlocked. I felt the lines when I got it home and they were not that warm either. But I am much lighter than a regular Olds though, so less work/heat and much more sensitive to shift quality. I liked the converter as well and how it reacted.
Old March 30th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Jet lagged & Hungry

Thanks guys. I'll get on rock auto and see what I can find. If anyone knows the part numbers I'd appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Firewalker
One of the things that freaked me out, when first driven with my 200r4 were the soft and quite and vibration free, but very fast shifts, at part throttle. Nothing like the old transmissions. More like some of the newer OD transmissions in heavier cars.

The tunnel over it did not exist at that point and I could hear it's sounds directly, and feel it with my hand on the ride home about 4 miles, without a cooler but with long lines on it, it never got very warm and that was without the lock up wiring install yet, so unlocked. I felt the lines when I got it home and they were not that warm either. But I am much lighter than a regular Olds though, so less work/heat and much more sensitive to shift quality. I liked the converter as well and how it reacted.
Yeah, 200r4- it's one of the best additions ever. I did not get it on the highway, but I feel like I call idle almost anywhere. Gonna use up some brake pads though.

I'm going to hunt for another one for our 77 corvette with a TH350.
Old March 30th, 2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mikejana
Thanks guys. I'll get on rock auto and see what I can find. If anyone knows the part numbers I'd appreciate it.

Yeah, 200r4- it's one of the best additions ever. I did not get it on the highway, but I feel like I call idle almost anywhere. Gonna use up some brake pads though.

I'm going to hunt for another one for our 77 corvette with a TH350.
I got on the highway briefly coming out of the transmission place I had install mine. And it is a steep climb out of that place onto the highway on caliche rocks. My light ride wanted to spin up them, with the gas needed to get up to it and it did. The powder from those existing their parking lot was on the highway, so I just let it spin itself out never letting up until they stopped. The speed of the traffic was about 40-45 on the way home and no trouble keeping up with it at part or even light throttle. Whether it my motors or transmissions I drive them easily and normally and won't go further without purpose. Every mile gone is one less any of them will go, and I graduated from stupid long long ago. My ride down for long I hate and takes the fun out of things LOL

Btw a lot of cars lost the parking brake a long long time ago. It use to be called the emergency brake, which is its real purpose.
Old March 30th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Jet lagged & Hungry

Parking Brake Cables for 200r4 swap from TH350 in 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Con

Okay now. I just spent 5 hours researching Classicoldsmobile.com for this information. I am extremely grateful for this site and the information it provides.......
But, this is not what I wanted to devote 5 hours of time to.
I have cut and pasted so that it is in a location together and may be of some assistance in the future and save some one else the 5 hours:

Everything is plagerized, I mean copied to here. Mostly from Joe Padavano

OK, a couple of things. First, there are three types of cables, front (that connects to the pedal), intermediate, and rear (that connects to the backing plates). The two rear cables are identical from side-to-side and are the same on all applications.

Second, the length of the intermediate cable varies with both crossmember location and wheelbase. There are three wheelbases used that year, 112" for all 2 doors, 116" for all four doors and flattop wagons, and 121" for Vista Cruisers. Then there are two additional variations, TH400 and all other transmissions. You need the front cable for "with TurboHydramatic" (yes, I know the TH350 is also a TurboHydramatic - I didn't write this stuff). You need an intermediate cable for the right wheelbase (you neglected to tell us 2dr or 4dr) and "with Turbohydramatic".

Rear cables off the backing plates do not change, they are the same for all crossmember locations and all wheelbases.

Front cable is longer for TH400 and shorter for everything else (all other transmissions available that year were the same length, only the TH400 used a different crossmember location). There are two part numbers at NAPA, use the one that matches the trans. This cable only changes for transmission, all wheelbases with the same trans use the same cable.

The largest part number variation is the intermediate cable. Here there are two lengths per wheelbase (one for TH400 and one for all other transmissions) and three different wheelbases (112", 116", and 121"), making a total of six different cables for the 1968-72 cars. Again, for a 112" WB 2dr, there are only TWO different cable lengths, TH400 and non-TH400.

And while it MAY be possible to hook up the wrong cables, you really don't want to do that. The cable lengths were selected to work for all possible ranges of brake lining wear and adjustment. Using the wrong cables may allow you to connect the cables, but at some point the equalizer will bottom on the crossmember before the cables are taut.

The problem is that the Raybestos catalog doesn't list all the applications. These cars ARE 30 years old and Raybestos isn't exactly a restoration parts provider. Go to napaonline.com and try there.

Front cable, w/o TH400 P/N UP92347, 44.81"
Front cable W/TH400 P/N UP92263, 44.17"

Intermediate cable w/o TH400 P/N UP92365, 95.56"
Intermediate cable w/TH400 P/N UP92352, 82"

Here is what I found on RockAuto:
ACDELCO 18P7 {#18032925} Professional Intermediate; 82.5" Length $11.40
ACDELCO 18P2207 {#19109648} Professional Front; with Turbo Hydromatic Transmission (THM) 44.6" Length $19.86

Last edited by mikejana; March 31st, 2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old March 31st, 2018, 11:36 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It is possible to use the TH350 cable, I made mine work. That right way is the TH400 cable, any info Joe P put down will be right.
Old March 31st, 2018, 04:20 PM

Here's the PNs I used:

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
1968 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS 5.7L 350cid V8
RAYBESTOS BC92352 Parking Brake Cable
$ 13.10 $ 0.00 1 $ 13.10
RAYBESTOS BC92407 Parking Brake Cable
$ 23.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 23.79

Hope that helps.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; March 31st, 2018 at 04:22 PM.