im stuck...literally

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Unhappy im stuck...literally

Hello fellow toronado owners! I have a 1975 toronado, and I am having trouble with getting the doors open. They seem to be seized shut, both doors, the keys will not turn the locks and the handles will not open from the inside. The windows are up so i cannot get inside it at all hence delaying the restoration process, should i call a locksmith any ideas? I have tried spraying the doors with wd 40 and other lubricants, but i dont see an easy way to get the doors open. Even if I were to break the glass i still dont see where it would get me.... two stuck doors and a broken window........
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:59 PM

You say the interior hanldes dont work ? You also say the windows are up ?
How do you know the interior handles dont work ?

Can you open the trunk ? maybe you could get in through the trunk by taking the back seat out ?
(if its similar to my 67)

Rich
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM

I had this problem with a camaro that had power door locks and the actuator froze, but the key still turned. See if you can wedge the glass away from the channel molding/rubber and see if you can saturate the general area where the door latch assy is and the lock area with WD-40 or CRC a whole can if need be. Also spray alot in the lock also with the same straw that you used to get the spray inside the door.

Chris
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM

I locked my keys in my trunk one time and had to take out the back seat
and crawl through so you should be able to do the reverse.
Old September 20th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Not sure with the toronado, but am thinking the trunk is a lost sause, at least on g/a body cars they started using a metal panel to seperate the trunk, probably to stiffen the chassis. the access holes are too small to get through. I would assume it is the same on the toro. If you have access to a lock out kit you may be able to physically get at the latch mechanisim, they are fairly easy to actuate on 70's era gm car. You will need a plastic wedge to "peel" the door away from the glass. Done carefully and in moderation this will not harm the door. When I was running a wrecker we did thus on the pass side just in case though. any way you should see some steel rods about the same thickness as the ones on a shopping cart. fiddle with them GENTLY to ascertain what easc one does. Assuming they are still attached to the latch one of these will actuate the latch, otherwise you may have to putz with the mechanism it self. I dont remember ever having one of these opened up, or havein been called on a lockout on one of these, but principles are the same, Take your time and be gentle, but firm you should have it open in no time. I will try to locake my lockout manual if needed to get more specifis, but lock/ latch mechanisms werent that sophisticaded in the 70's so it should be a straight forward deal. pm me if you need more info
Old September 20th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I sure hope that 75 T-Nado got those doors open by now.
It looks like he asked this question in June 2006
Old September 20th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by marinus_
I sure hope that 75 T-Nado got those doors open by now.
It looks like he asked this question in June 2006
LOL! Yeah, and he only had one post too.
Maybe he locked himself in the trunk?

Allan
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Dohhh I was just waking up I didn't even look at the post date