Distributor Stuck in the Block

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Distributor Stuck in the Block

Does anybody have a good idea about breaking a distributor loose in the engine block? I bought a Pertronix Ignition that I'm ready to install and can't get the dist. out, which kinda prevents adjusting the timing too! I have soaked it with PB Blaster for 2 days, smacked at it lightly with a hammer and tried lifting it w/a few different leverage arms. Nothing!

This is in the car, so it's not sitting on a stand where I can really get at it. HELP!
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Pipe wrench...wrap the distributor shaft with a shop towel first...pop it with a rubber mallet while you turn it.

C.J.
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM

That should do it! I'm anxious to see if I've got enough clearance between the block and the firewall to get enough movement in there. But there's one way to find out! Thanks!
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:31 AM

I usualy take the drivers valve cover off and lay a crowbar across the cyl. head and under the distributer and work it out dont force it.
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Kool ideas! It's in there pretty good, and I'll probably try all of these and a few more that haven't been thought up yet!

Yeah, it's on the 394 in my '62 Dynamic. Before I bought this car, I didn't realize that they made a low compression 394 in '62. It's painted the same turquoise as the 394 in my '60.

Well, let's see what happens when I do this.......
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM

You know that its just a ring of dirt thats holdiing it in right. just keep worling it up and down it will eventualy come out.
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:51 PM

on my 455...

I had the same problem on my 455. It was very tough even with the engine on a stand. Basically you needed to be able to twist it back and forth and spray lube in the cracks where the distributor mates to the manifold. I used the proper wrench to get leverage. Once that was free I started to twist and lift at the same time working it up and down 1/4" at a time until the lube had a chance to do its magic. Force it and you'll probably break it, patience is key. Took me about 35mins to get mine out. I cleaned it up and painted it and its as good as new.
-Justin
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM

That's what I ended up doing. My engine is still in the car, so I had to remove the intake manifold to get room for leverage. I soaked it in PB for a few days, then used a little Bernzomatic w/a pipe wrench and it came right out. After a quick cleaning and paint (and electronic ignition) it's as good as new!
Hey what color were these distributors originally? Black? Dk. Grey? It was rusty enough that I couldn't tell.
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:12 PM

...color

I just painted mine with that aluminum spray-can stuff thats rated for hi-temp engine detail. but maybe its suppose to be a different color?!?!?
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:41 AM

I'm all about hot rodding/kustomizing, but I'm a slave to restoration, and that usually wins out. I like to see how things looked back then when they were new.

Just like the stupid aqua green engine paint for the 394s! It seems impossible to get, unless I go to the paint store and have them mix up some enamel for me. Lasts longer anyway. But that hitemp stuff is great on smaller parts and looks right too!