How to remove 1967 Toro front wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2021, 07:30 PM
SL1

How to remove 1967 Toro front wheel bearings?

How do you remove this bearing without destroying it? Only replacement bearings that I can locate are WJB brand (China)- anybody using these? These are on a 67 Toro with factory disc brakes. Thanks-Steve

Last edited by SL1; November 10th, 2021 at 07:37 PM.
Old November 15th, 2021, 07:34 PM

man looks like it is spot welded to the hub.
Old November 15th, 2021, 07:50 PM
Shoveling Snow

Pressing the hub out is the only choice. I put a heavy towel around the bearing just in case it decided to come apart but it didn't.
I have service replacement seals for the knuckle if you need them.

Old November 16th, 2021, 10:05 AM
SL1

Thanks for the replies.

​​​​​​RE: Hairy Olds: did you replace your bearings with something else or re-use after inspection? The China bearings look a little different especially the built- in seals. Thks Steve
Old November 21st, 2021, 08:28 AM
SL1

I can't press out the hub without holding back on the bearing. There is nothing on the bearing to hold onto because the end of the bearing is recessed into the bearing retainer, and I don't think the bearing retainer is strong enough to pull the bearing off/ press out the hub. The shop manual shows a GM tool BT-6702 used for this but of course is nowhere to be found. Anybody???

Old October 23rd, 2022, 09:43 AM

1968 Toronado with same problem

Originally Posted by SL1
How do you remove this bearing without destroying it? Only replacement bearings that I can locate are WJB brand (China)- anybody using these? These are on a 67 Toro with factory disc brakes. Thanks-Steve

This thread is a bit old but I had the same problem. I bought the tool to pull the bearing from that outfit in California that restores old GM Rvs. It turns out that they are from 72 and later and is too small. To make a long story short, a nine inch grinder with an abrasive disk on it and a dremel tool with cutting disk did the trick. I found the 68 bearings on eBay and they seem to be quality. The foto looks exactly like the 68, but that doesn’t mean it is…Mark

Last edited by Maybe368; October 23rd, 2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2022, 12:01 PM
SL1

Originally Posted by Maybe368
This thread is a bit old but I had the same problem. I bought the tool to pull the bearing from that outfit in California that restores old GM Rvs. It turns out that they are from 72 and later and is too small. To make a long story short, a nine inch grinder with an abrasive disk on it and a dremel tool with cutting disk did the trick. I found the 68 bearings on eBay and they seem to be quality. The foto looks exactly like the 68, but that doesn’t mean it is…Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark. I think 67 & 68 are the same bearing. My bearings weren't bad with 67k on them so I cleaned them up best I could and re-used. I bought the new WJB bearings anyway for the future. Without that special GM tool, it looks like the bearings have to be destroyed for removal, far as I can tell.
Old October 23rd, 2022, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SL1
Thanks for the reply Mark. I think 67 & 68 are the same bearing. My bearings weren't bad with 67k on them so I cleaned them up best I could and re-used. I bought the new WJB bearings anyway for the future. Without that special GM tool, it looks like the bearings have to be destroyed for removal, far as I can tell.
That’s funny, mine has 67k miles too. I hated to do it but I tried various things including calling machine shops of which over half that I called are out of business. I’m just trying to replace the rotors or I never would have cut it off. I have a twenty ton press and I tried to drive the hub shaft out and it didn’t even budge. It has been real frustrating. I bought that GM RV tool, too small. The bearing that I destroyed was in good shape. I just feel lucky to have found the rotors. I hope to get this one to paint soon…Mark
Old October 23rd, 2022, 12:58 PM
SL1

Mark, where did you locate the rotors? I'll be needing some in the distant future.
Old October 23rd, 2022, 01:30 PM

I got two of them from a guy here in Az. I posted about this in my thread about the rotors. It might be right below this thread. I thought that I had discovered a cache of them but I bought two of his last three. He still has one. I also posted an outfit that has the Eldorado rotor, but it needs some machine work for the Toronado lug nut pattern. It would need a beveled ring milled for the center hole because it is slightly bigger. Otherwise, I have not been able to find any, when I have looked…Mark