Back to the Body Shop

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2020, 09:46 AM

Back to the Body Shop

It has been almost 2 years to the day that I had some body work and a new paint job done on my 77 Toronado. For the most part the paint job has held up well but the other day I noticed some problems with the rear bumper filler pieces. I am not really all that surprised as these plastic parts are over 40 years old and the body shop did tell me at the time that I was probably living on borrowed time with the original parts.
So it looks like the time has come. Ordering new fiberglass replacements Replica Replacements looks like the way to go, providing they will ship to Canada. The bigger issue seems to be matching the paint color.
Since the paint job was done I have moved a fair distance away from the body shop that did the work. I have found a small local shop that can/will do the repair for me but I need to track down the paint color reference number. I called the original body shop and asked if they could go back in the archives and track down the paint manufacturer and the code number for me. They said they would try, so have my fingers crossed. So here are some pictures of the the cracks/splits that have developed on these fillers.

Right Side

Left Side
Old September 4th, 2020, 10:53 AM

Byron, I'm surprised your fender extensions lasted this long. On most cars that had that soft bumper filler and fender extension, the plastic has long since fallen apart. The fender extensions were completely missing on my car when I got it. I've been very happy so far with Replica Plastics pieces I bought and had my body shop install and paint back in the spring of 2017.

Old September 4th, 2020, 10:56 AM

Replica Plastics does say on their FAQ page that they do ship internationally.
Old September 4th, 2020, 11:20 AM

Good to hear that they ship internationally. Got to get the plastic card out and give them a call.
Old September 5th, 2020, 06:57 AM
Oldsdruid

If the original shop can't find the records, many paint jobbers have a tool that can scan and analyze paint on the car and do a VERY GOOD color match formula. Your car being a darker blue should be fairly easy to match. Lighter metallics can pose challenges for any paint match.