AC Airflow Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 05:35 PM

AC Airflow Problem

I have a 1966 Toronado and when the AC is on the air comes out of the defroster vents. When I switch to heat, some comes out at the floor, but most still comes out of the defroster. I thought it was a vacuum problem and pulled the control panel but do not see any vacuum problems. Of course, it is difficult to follow all the hoses to check. Is it possible I may have a problem other than vacuum? Is there any particular area I need to check for vacuum. All of the hoses seem to be in good condition. Thanks.
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM

hey eldave, did you ever solve this?...I just charged my a/c in my 70 toro and for the first time operated the heat/a/c controls and I get the same thing you describe....no a/c vent dash air, just a/c out of defrost and heater vents...let me know...thanks, cliff
Old July 11th, 2010, 04:48 AM

My problem was with vacuum. There is a vacuum actuator behind the dash, behind the radio area and the vacuum hose had come loose. I was able to reach under the dash and put the hose back on. I do not remember if two panels under the steering column were removed or not. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please let me know if this is your problem too.
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM

hi Dave, well I looked at all the hoses and they were all on and good so I figured the push button controller was dirty& stuck from sitting 30 yrs....I was right the lubriplate they used at the factory had petrified and was keeping the the pipe organ inside from working so I cleaned it relubed it and whaalaa it works perfect...I noticed before I started the job tho, that the a/c compresssor was sticking on too., while I wass there I cleaned and checked the switches and they seem fine but the compressor is still sticking on when switched off...SO I guess I got more trouble shooting... good thing I did'nt put it all the way back together before testing....thanks, cliff