Carb swap and vacuum problem

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Gee

Red face

I have a 69 Ols Cutlass that had a 2bbl and the original owner swapped it for a 4bbl. He put a new air assamble with no snorkle and the Intake manafold hose does not have anything hook to it.

Als, I can not get a fast Idle when starting.

Does anyone know what I should do? Do I adjust for a 2bbl or a 4bbl?
Old January 27th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Past Administrator

First, what do you mean intake manifold hose? Are you referring to a pcv hose/valve assembly? or a vaccum hose that would go to the hot air door on the snorkel of an original air cleaner housing? In the title of your post you mention vaccum problems but don't elaborate in the body of the post. I figure you mean low vaccum or a vaccum leak. Your low vaccum may be caused by a vaccum nipple on the manifold that is not plugged and was previously used on the stock carburetor assembly, or by the carburetor itself, older quadrajets can have worn bushings on the throttle valve assemblies that cause that. If there is a newer carburetor (or new) aftermarket model then that may not be your problem. You have to identify where the vaccum leak is first. Do a good visual and look for broken/split/un-connected vaccum lines, follow every one that comes from the top of the manifold and from the carb. Replace any that are old or damaged. If there is a nipple that has no hose on it you have to determine where that hose is and re-connect it or block off the nipple if it was the one for the hot air door as I previously mentioned. Finally, after the vaccum leak is fixed, you need to set your choke and choke high idle rpm settings per the carburetor requirments. Again, if it is a quadrajet use the 4bbl settings for your year/model. Hope this helps out some. Good luck.