dwell problem

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:05 PM

i have a 66 olds with a 425. i replaced my ignition points,cap and rotor and vac advance. the car never seemed to stay in time. im trying to set my dwell and my reading will jump from 29.5 to 32. this isnt normal is it? my meter is a snap on and its high end and in good shape so i dont think its my meter. if its a worn shaft. could the shaft be replaced without buying a whole new distributor? i need some advice...and yes i know i should get an electronic ignition. but now ive spent money on my old system so id like to use it. do they sell distributor rebuild kits? should i just get another distributor all together? help
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM

If you are using a digital meter you will see some jumping around on the dwell.
On the other hand...
If the dwell and timing are moving around on you it could be weak mechanical advance springs, a worn breaker plate, a worn vacuum advance, worn shaft bushings or a worn distributor gear. It couls also be a bad timing chain.

Good luck
John

[ June 26, 2005: Message edited by: jdorour ]</p>
Old June 26th, 2005, 03:42 PM

im ruling out the vac advance because its brand new. the timing chain has under 30k on it so im going to rule that out too. auto zone has a rebuilt distributor for 30 bucks so im going to give that a shot. my distributor looks pretty beat up so im thinking the shaft is worn out. this has been a progressive problem for the last couple of years. last summer the car just never seemed to time right and would go out after a few miles. this year i replaced the cap,rotor,points and condensor and vac advance. it helped a little but not completely.
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:19 AM
The Charter Member

Testing123
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:31 PM

You may have one of the problems mentioned in the other posts. However, does your car run badly because of this problem ? If not, you may want to live with it. And, as for going to an electronic ignition, I'd stick with the old system. The less electronic " black box" components you have, the easier , and least expensive it is to find and repair a problem. The only electronic engine component my 1979 Olds 88 has is the electronic distributor module. And, the only time my car has left me stranded is when that module burned out.