69 Toro Engine Removal

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM

69 Toro Engine Removal

Gonna try pulling the engine on this thing this weekend....that is if I can bear the cold. I have a 1970 Chassis service manual and am assuming the procedure should be the same, but knowing how things never go perfectly according to a manual, I am asking any "voices of experience" to let me know what sort of issues I might run into and how to avoid or handle them. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Oldsdruid

Take off all the auxiliary stuff and disconnect the exhaust, wiring and starter, then it's about as simple a pull as there is.

From the bottom:

Remove two bolts on front engine mount, disconnect the RH drive axle support from RH side of engine, take the trans cooler and vacuum modulator line clips loose, and remove the torque converter to flexplate bolts.

From top:

Remove the bolt attaching final drive to the engine on the left side, all the transmission to engine bolts and engine should separate. Then it's just a matter of wrassling it out of there.

TheJeremiah pulled one out a while back and had a little trouble; ended up busting the transmission bellhousing trying to separate it from the engine, but he got it out.

You'll tie up a floor jack or jack stand holding up the transmission and final drive once engine is out, so get a 4x4 and cut it to length to support the stuff. Otherwise it will fall out of the car. Or you can try duplicating the factory final drive support tool out of some chain, turnbuckles and round stock.
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
and remove the torque converter to flexplate bolts.
I realize the torque converter cover has to be removed to do this but can you (or someone) identify exactly where/what the torque converter cover is. My manual shows a breakdown but doesn't identify the parts.
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM

Figured out the flex plate to torque converter issue but now it just won't come out. The engine seems to be loose but as I lift it it seems to lift on the transmission and won't move forward. I crawled back under the car but can't find anything bolted up. The only thing I can see that may be causing the problem is that the oil pan is right up against the right output shaft and maybe this is binding things up and not allowing the engine to move forward and there's not enough wiggle room to lift the engine high enough to clear it before things bind up. Please Help!!
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

There are 2 dowels in the back of the motor that keep the trans connected to it. Probably just need a good pry bar. Try not to break the aluminum case on the trans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
transdowel.jpg (28.8 KB, 60 views)
transdowel2.jpg (4.6 KB, 50 views)
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM

engine pull

I have a 70 cutlass that I swopped a motor on and I found that it is alot easier to take the engine and tranny out rather then just the engine. Might not help now but thought I would just throw that out there
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
There are 2 dowels in the back of the motor that keep the trans connected to it. Probably just need a good pry bar. Try not to break the aluminum case on the trans.
The case has come apart about an inch and the dowels are free. I'm gonna crawl back under there tomorrow and get that output shaft out of the way. I can't see anything else that it could be. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by nathanf85
I have a 70 cutlass that I swopped a motor on and I found that it is alot easier to take the engine and tranny out rather then just the engine. Might not help now but thought I would just throw that out there
This is pulling from a Toronado and not a cutlass but thanks.

Last edited by sklbndt; February 21st, 2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oro-motor.html
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks J....reviewed the thread and I've got everything covered. Or so it seems. Will let all know how it turns out. Am gonna pull that RH output shaft though....I'm convinced that's the problem. We'll see.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM

New Rule for Toro Engine Removal

New Rule: Once you are SURE you have removed all fasteners but the engine still seems to be pulling the tranny with it, remove the RH output shaft. Remove the bolts attaching the RH output shaft to the RH drive axle, move the drive axle back to allow room to pull the output shaft out of the transfer case (You will have to remove the oil filter to allow room to move the drive axle far enough). Once the output shaft is removed the engine comes right out.

The first picture below shows where the output shaft was binding up against the oil pan. The output shaft would not allow the engine to move forward enough for the flex plate to clear the tranny bell housing and once it hit the bell housing it caused the engine to pull up on the front and bind against the output shaft. I didn't take a picture but it was obvious where the flex plate was hitting the top inside of the bell housing.
Attached Images
Toronado Engine Removal 004.jpg (136.3 KB, 77 views)
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by nathanf85
Ageed.