68 Toronado Telescopic Steering Wheel - Connecting Horn Cam Wire?

Old June 16th, 2014, 11:50 PM

68 Toronado Telescopic Steering Wheel - Connecting Horn Cam Wire?

Just wondering if anyone knows how the horn contact cam wire should be connected on a 1968 Toronado telescopic style steering wheel. The only thing I have been able to figure out so far is that if I touch it to the metal part at the center of the steering wheel the horn honks extremely loud. So I am guessing that it should connect somewhere to the pad, but I am not having much luck figuring this out. I tried taping the contact end of the cam wire to the back portion of the horn pad, but unfortunately the horn doesn't work when I reattach it to the steering wheel...

Old June 17th, 2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
Just wondering if anyone knows how the horn contact cam wire should be connected on a 1968 Toronado telescopic style steering wheel. The only thing I have been able to figure out so far is that if I touch it to the metal part at the center of the steering wheel the horn honks extremely loud. So I am guessing that it should connect somewhere to the pad, but I am not having much luck figuring this out. I tried taping the contact end of the cam wire to the back portion of the horn pad, but unfortunately the horn doesn't work when I reattach it to the steering wheel...

First - nice looking Toro! The 68 Tilt/Tele used a "rim blow" steering wheel with the horn contact switch made into the rim of the wheel (not the pad). Seeing the wrap on your wheel makes me think that your switch could be bad (very typical). I had the same issue - and was going to use a 67 Tilt/Tele horn pad (similar look but not rim blow). However, I was lucky to find an NOS wheel. See the pictures - maybe this will help you. Good Luck, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NOS Wheel1.jpg (123.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg
NOS Wheel2.jpg (121.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by 455Dave; June 17th, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old June 17th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1. You're barking up the wrong tree.

The rim-blows were great, till they stopped working, then they weren't so great.

Sometimes they fail by not blowing at all, but usually by blowing constantly.

There is someone out there who rebuilds them, but he's not cheap.
Best thing for now is to install an auxiliary horn button somewhere.

- Eric
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by 455Dave
First - nice looking Toro! The 68 Tilt/Tele used a "rim blow" steering wheel with the horn contact switch made into the rim of the wheel (not the pad). Seeing the wrap on your wheel makes me think that your switch could be bad (very typical). I had the same issue - and was going to use a 67 Tilt/Tele horn pad (similar look but not rim blow). However, I was lucky to find an NOS wheel. See the pictures - maybe this will help you. Good Luck, Dave
Well that would make a little more sense why the pad has absolutely no spring back. I put the leather wrap on there to hide some cracking, otherwise the steering wheel looks pretty good. Well then I guess I just won't worry to much about it then. I just figured I was just missing something simple.

Last edited by 68RocketAction; June 18th, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:36 AM

rim horn 68 toro

Is there someone out there who rebuilds the rim horn steeringwheel for a 68 torronado ??
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by nicokaal
Is there someone out there who rebuilds the rim horn steeringwheel for a 68 torronado ??
I think the Rimblow Buddy does restore all Ford rimblows... I am not sure of if they rubber blow rim is the same or completely different on GM cars. I was able to acquire a super nice 66 Telescopic wheel and put that on my Toronado So I cold have a horn... I have always heard that the rim blow is a pain... When it starts to wear out the horn wont honk and then when it does it wont stop...

You might contact this guy, and he might be able to help you out, or tell you someone who yours..

https://www.therimblowbuddy.com/customers-rides/