66 Toronado Crankcase Venting

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2020, 06:38 PM

66 Toronado Crankcase Venting

Can someone with a stock 425 engine tell me what type of Passenger's side valve cover vent is used?
There are ones that are round with the element underneath and the type with a 90 degree pipe coming out of it.
If stock is the 90, where does the hose go, because there are no holes in the dual snorkel air cleaner.
Also,
The oil filler cap in the front of the block has 90 degree pipe coming out of the side of it. I am pretty sure my cap is stock.
If it is, where would that hose go?
Guessing it's for blow-by and goes down to the front by the fuel pump area.
Thanks for the help.
Old March 8th, 2020, 06:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

It depends on whether or not your car has open or closed PCV. If you have the open PCV, the cap will look like this with no elbow, just a vent:

If your car has the closed PCV, that elbow connects to the passenger side snorkel on the air cleaner using a metal tube.

Old March 8th, 2020, 08:38 AM

Thanks again Joe
I researched the archives again and found old discussions between about 6 members describing the operation of crankcase ventilation. Basically put, airflow in and pressure out. With that said, If you don't have a working system, pressure can build up causing small oil pan, intake manifold and oil pan leaks. Would you agree?

My dual snorkel air cleaner does not have a provision for a PCV tube.However, the oil filler cap does (Confusing.)
My original thought was that both air cleaner and oil filler cap were original to the car, but a PO must have mixed one or the other up.

The drivers side valve cover does have a PCV and hose going into the base of the car as in one of your pictures, thanks again for posting those.
Hence pressure out.

Of course it is less expensive and snorkel intrusive to get a vented valve cover cap, air flow in.
I'll also replace the oil filler cap with a tubeless no vented style. I was trying to keep it original, but as these would be hard to find and to costly, I guess I'll have to go with cheap aftermarket chrome ones that pit in a month.