66 Toronado Coolant Recovery Tank

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2012 | 09:57 AM
Matthew Reader

66 Toronado Coolant Recovery Tank

I found out yesterday that mine is missing- there should be one present, right?

I don't have the shop manual yet, but does anyone know about it, or have one to sell me?

Thanks!

Matthew
Old July 7th, 2012 | 10:36 AM

I don't believe there is one, my '67 has a hose that just bends down to pee out onto the ground, my 1969 H/O is the same way. I've see several other 66&67's and don't recall seeing one either.

Originally Posted by PalmSpringsOlds
I found out yesterday that mine is missing- there should be one present, right?

I don't have the shop manual yet, but does anyone know about it, or have one to sell me?

Thanks!

Matthew
Old July 7th, 2012 | 11:46 AM
Matthew Reader

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
I don't believe there is one, my '67 has a hose that just bends down to pee out onto the ground, my 1969 H/O is the same way. I've see several other 66&67's and don't recall seeing one either.
Wow! I am surprised that there isn't a recovery tank- has anyone ever added one? It seemed like the car wasn't running hot yesterday, but each time, I stopped the car, a lot of coolant came back out- could have been that it was 109 and I had the A/C running. It's been a long time since I've driven anything that old, so was shocked to see coolant on the ground...
Old July 7th, 2012 | 12:28 PM
Oldsdruid

The only way a 66 would have it would be an aftermarket. Recovery tanks didn't appear till 1971 on GM cars.

About any auto parts store should be able to fix you up with an aftermarket setup if you want it. You will need a good quality compatible pressure cap- the stock cap will not work correctly with it. Then there's the matter of finding somewhere to mount it...

How old is your current pressure cap? Sounds like it might be relieving prematurely though 110 degrees with A/C on will tax any cooling system short of a tractor-trailer.

Also- must remember that older systems like this ARE NOT DESIGNED TO RUN FULL. They need an expansion space between radiator coolant level and the pressure cap. If the radiator is filled to the cap neck, it is going to puke out coolant until it finds the level it wants, usually about 3" below the filler neck.
Old July 7th, 2012 | 09:32 PM
Matthew Reader

Hey!

Thanks for the info- I know the cap was just replaced because the old one was worn out- I didn't know about running the radiator not full- I am really paranoid about overheating in this weather. I will let it ' puke out' and keep my eye on the temp gauge. Thanks for the insight!

Matthew

How old is your current pressure cap? Sounds like it might be relieving prematurely though 110 degrees with A/C on will tax any cooling system short of a tractor-trailer.

Also- must remember that older systems like this ARE NOT DESIGNED TO RUN FULL. They need an expansion space between radiator coolant level and the pressure cap. If the radiator is filled to the cap neck, it is going to puke out coolant until it finds the level it wants, usually about 3" below the filler neck.[/QUOTE]