1991 Trofeo Touring?

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

1991 Trofeo Touring?

Saw a really nice black 91 Trofeo parked in a back yard. Looks to be in super nice shape. Don't have any experience with this body style or know anything about its reliability. Can anyone give me some info in general terms whether its a keeper or a runner? Depending on feedback I might want to part with some $ to pick this one up. Any info would be appreciated.
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM

As I recall the early 90s Toronados had an electric dash cluster that was prone to problems. They are pretty cars though. Post some pics and more info when you check it out!
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well it is a 1991 Toronado Trofeo Touring car. VEEERRRYY nice condition. But it's a keeper. And it still belongs to the original owner. Left my name and number for when they change their mind. Wasn't open to price discussion at this time. FULLY LOADED car. Even the digital dash works flawlessly. Mileage was only 93,449 actual miles. (that works out to less than 5500 a year) and it sounds silky smooth when it's running.

Any of you got any idea what you'd be willing to part with?
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:10 PM

They are 3800 powered cars and are on the E-Body platform. Very reliable, as noted the computer in them (like the Reatta, diagnostics and radio etc.) can be troublesome and expensive to replace. Pretty unique cars, they are good for mid to high 16's and are really hampered by their weight.
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
442=A perfect 10

Originally Posted by Allan R
Saw a really nice black 91 Trofeo parked in a back yard. Looks to be in super nice shape. Don't have any experience with this body style or know anything about its reliability. Can anyone give me some info in general terms whether its a keeper or a runner? Depending on feedback I might want to part with some $ to pick this one up. Any info would be appreciated.
These pics are of my 1990 Trofeo. This was my company car (when I was with Olds.) that I purchased and kept for 15 years. They are great road cars getting 27mpg and are extremely comfortable. Make sure all electronics are working as these can be a nightmare if they have been tampered with. Huge trunk, only wished it had about 300hp. Sold mine to a gal in FLA. Bought an XLR to replace. PM me if you have any specific questions. Good Luck.

Fred

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Trofeo001.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Trofeo013.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Trofeo005.jpg
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM

I had a 93 Buick LeSaber that had to have the ECM replaced because of a Quad Driver Module fault. It wasn't too hard to replace just a bit pricey... about $150. Also make sure the coolant system is in good shape. I had two water pumps fail on my Buick with a 3800. There is a phenolic nipple above the water pump that cracks and causes overheating on the 3800. This should be replaced with an iron one when servicing the coolant system.
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuy
.... Sold mine to a gal in FLA. Bought an XLR to replace. PM me if you have any specific questions. Good Luck.
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the info. FYI the car I looked at was almost identical to the pics you posted, except it looks like your car was dark blue and has a lot of fancy woodgrain?? This one was black with black leather interior.

Yours is the second comment about the power being a little lack lustre. What exactly was the problem?

BTW my 1995 98 has all digital dash and the only problem i've ever had with it is that one of the buttons (E/M) light burnt out. Went to the wreckers and pulled a digital out of a 96 regency. Found out from the light is soldered into the circuit board and transmitted through a light fibre?? to the dash button. So it's a pricey fix unless you know someone who does this for a hobby.
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
442=A perfect 10

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the info. FYI the car I looked at was almost identical to the pics you posted, except it looks like your car was dark blue and has a lot of fancy woodgrain?? This one was black with black leather interior.

Yours is the second comment about the power being a little lack lustre. What exactly was the problem?

BTW my 1995 98 has all digital dash and the only problem i've ever had with it is that one of the buttons (E/M) light burnt out. Went to the wreckers and pulled a digital out of a 96 regency. Found out from the light is soldered into the circuit board and transmitted through a light fibre?? to the dash button. So it's a pricey fix unless you know someone who does this for a hobby.
My car was black with gray interior. I worked at Olds engineering and the car had a few "pull ahead" features that never made production. Woodgrain was used on the interior instead of gray plastic, the wheels were precursors of the Olds Ninety Eight Touring Sedan wheels and the car had different badging and a supercharger. These items never made production as the Toronado was scheduled for termination in '92 with the advent of Aurora coming. I bought the car after we were finished with it at Olds. The supercharger had to come off before being sold. Just as well as it posed a problem with hood clearance. The prototype hood required a blister to allow clearance for the SC. It really did not enhance the look of the car.
On the stock 3800 the power issue is in the fact that these cars weighed over 4,000lbs and were powered by the standard 170hp six. If I remember the 0-60 times were somewhere in the 9 second range....not real exciting but cruising on the highway these cars were fine. Moderate acceleration for passing. The good part was fuel mileage around 27mpg. highway. Sold mine for 5k. It was really nice.

Regards,

Fred

Last edited by GoodOldsGuy; October 18th, 2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM

The good part was fuel mileage around 27mpg.
I experienced the same thing with my 93 Buick LeSaber with a 3800. IT got about 24 to 26 mpg in town and over 30 mpg on the highway. Excellent for a larger car. My VW Beetle only gets 28 mpg on the highway!

The 3800 is an excellent motor. The Toros are beautiful cars.
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM

The dash problems that Olds64 is speaking of relate to the analog cluster going dead. Everything dies but the tachometer or the speedometer, I don't remember which. It is one little capacitor or transistor that is at fault when this happens. I have the directions for replacing it yourself, or you can pick up rebuilt units all the time on E-bay for about $110. I had a 91 Trofeo for over five years, and LOVED it. The 3800 is dead reliable, and took us to Florida and the rest of the Southeast on many occasions, without so much as a hiccup (the car had 200K miles, too). We had too many cars, and had to get rid of it. Sure enough, the next owner totalled the car in less than a week.