1966 Toronado air dam and floor mat resto

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:17 PM

1966 Toronado air dam and floor mat resto

I was under my 1966 Toronado last week and saw a part in need of replacement. Its the plastic "air dam" or "valence" that sticks down underneath the front bumper.

Based on where it is and the fact that it is plastic makes me think all 1966 Toronado "air dams" suffered the same fate as mine and are cracked and broken beyond repair. In the off chance that anyone has an extra one or a parts car driven by Grandma I would love to take it off your hands.

While we're on plastic parts I am trying to restore the drivers floor mat. Mine has shrunken over the years. I read on another resto site that Lestoil can be applied directly to the rubber mat to restore it. I also need to unshrink it. There is about 1 inch all the way around the mat so it doesn't meet the stainless trim anywhere. Looks crummy.

Any hints on how to grow my floor mat would be greatly appreciated. Anyone with a mat for sale please PM me.

Thank you,
Jeff
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:23 PM

I think Fusicks sells repo floor mats in black.

I had some old floor mats for my 64 98 that I picked up in a slavage yard. I scoured them really good with Simple Green and then used Armor All on them. Unfortunately, they were too far gone for the cleaning to do much good, but they were better than the parts store floor mats I had in the car before.
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:13 AM

I see Fusicks has 88/98 repro mats but unless I was looking at the wrong catalog they aren't yet producing them for the Toronado.

Thank you for the reply,
Jeff
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:36 AM

Jeff, there is a catalog specifically for Toronados.
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:23 AM

From the Fusick Toronado catalog:

G04DVh5.jpg
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Thank you for the post. I understood that page in the catalog to be for the 88 and 98 but not the Toronado.

I have been to a few shows and the mats I am looking for are unique. There is the "build-in" mat under the drivers pedals that is somewhat trapezoidal shaped and has a cutout for the go-fast pedal. The one for the passenger side is a wide rectangle with no need for a tunnel cutout or odd shape. The passenger mat is wider than deep.

My car never came with a passenger side mat and the drivers mat is intact but has shrunken significantly over the years. I'm going to try to enlarge the drivers mat but not sure how to go about it.

As for the passenger mat I am hoping someone has one that they don't want and will sell it to me.

Jeff
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:39 PM

I'm going to try to enlarge the drivers mat but not sure how to go about it.
Jeff, I've heard belt dressing has compounds in it that make rubber expand.
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheBirds
Thank you for the post. I understood that page in the catalog to be for the 88 and 98 but not the Toronado.

Jeff
I guess that first sentence gave it away... wow, I didn't even see that.

Originally Posted by Olds64
Jeff, I've heard belt dressing has compounds in it that make rubber expand.
Belt dressing gets quite sticky when it dries, not many people know that, because they don't touch the belt afterward.

I used it on some garden shears years ago, and found out the hard way
Old September 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM

Jeff, they used to be made from RT engineering, a tool and die guy that did several Toro specific parts. But the molds were thrown out when the company he used went under and before he knew about it. So my guess is unless someone steps up to remake them, Toro guys are sol. FYI, the 66 and 67 are different too so it kinda makes it harder to tool up when only one model used each kind.
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:21 PM

Not sure if the air dam is the same on the '69 I'm parting out, but I believe mine is still intact, with no cracks.

I'll take a picture of it Sunday, as I won't be home until then.