Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Proper date code for water pump

Old November 8th, 2017, 07:58 AM

Proper date code for water pump

'68 Turnpike no A/C, no heavy duty cooling.

Body plate shows 01D = jan ('68) 4th week

Current water pump in car is shot, and not the original casting.

Research show I need part # 388182, casting # 384783

as for the Julian date code - should i be looking for 001 to 024? What about a pump produced in December ('67)? And would that date code be 330- 365 but with the same casting 384783?
Old November 8th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Randy C.

You are correct with regards to it being the same casting number. Depending on who you listen to, date codes can vary. 1-2 months before production date is the most common answer. Some say you shouldn't get a date within a week or two before your production date and some say you shouldn't use a date beyond two months before your production date. But I know for sure that's not always true. For example, when I restored my '68 4-4-2 that has a production date of 04A (first week of April 1968), I noticed that, when we rebuilt the original steering box, it has a casting date of "92" and its cover has a casting date of "95" (I presume they are both 1968), which are April 1st and April 4th, 1968. That's about as close to a build date of 04A as you can get and I know those parts are original to the car. On the other end, the engine block has a casting date of "304", or November 1, 1967 (a full 5 months before the 04A production date of the car), and I know it is original to the car as well.

So that's my perspective of the situation. Just one other hint - in the National Corvette Restorer Society, in judging they will accept a manufacture date of up to 6 months before the time build date of the car and, in some cases, even further back than that.

Randy C.
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
You are correct with regards to it being the same casting number. Depending on who you listen to, date codes can vary. 1-2 months before production date is the most common answer. Some say you shouldn't get a date within a week or two before your production date and some say you shouldn't use a date beyond two months before your production date. But I know for sure that's not always true. For example, when I restored my '68 4-4-2 that has a production date of 04A (first week of April 1968), I noticed that, when we rebuilt the original steering box, it has a casting date of "92" and its cover has a casting date of "95" (I presume they are both 1968), which are April 1st and April 4th, 1968. That's about as close to a build date of 04A as you can get and I know those parts are original to the car. On the other end, the engine block has a casting date of "304", or November 1, 1967 (a full 5 months before the 04A production date of the car), and I know it is original to the car as well.

So that's my perspective of the situation. Just one other hint - in the National Corvette Restorer Society, in judging they will accept a manufacture date of up to 6 months before the time build date of the car and, in some cases, even further back than that.

Randy C.
Thank you for the reply.