Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Headers and Supremes

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Headers and Supremes

I was checking the latest Hooker Headers catalog this morning (actually checking the specs on a set of headers on craigslist) and I noticed that Hooker's catalog still carries a prominent "headers do not fit Cutlass Supreme". The week before the holiday is always slow at work so I figured I'd torment the tech support line. Here's the transcript:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Why does your catalog continue to claim that your Cutlass headers do not fit Cutlass Supreme? I''ve owned over two dozen Cutlass/442 cars over the last 35 years and have seen many successful installations of your headers in Supremes and convertibles. There is absolutely NO difference between the Supreme and any other Cutlass/442 forward of the firewall. According to the factory parts book, frames, suspensions, motor mounts, block, etc are all the same. The only difference is the roofline (and prior to 1970, even that was the same). This is a standing joke in the Olds community and all you're doing is hurting your sales.

Originally Posted by Ricky V. Richter at Hooker Headers
Hi,
thanks for your e-mail
all the info and test fits we have
the supreme engine sets off to one side
and a non supreme the engine is center
we have a lot of customers that buy them for a supreme and they do not fit
the best thing to do is see if the carb air cleaner stud is center of the engine bay, if it is they will fit
in most cases it will not be center
Thanks Ricky

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, I have personally measured the air cleaner stud (and crank centerline, which is a more accurate measurement) in several Supremes and they were all centered (within production tolerances). I can also assure you that the factory parts book lists the same part numbers for the block, motor mounts, frame mounts, exhaust manifolds, frame, trans crossmember, etc, etc, etc. The engines are NOT offset. There are no spacers that would cause this, and frankly, if the motors were offset as you suggest, then things like the trans crossmember, trans backdrive linkage (that runs between the trans and the frame), exhaust pipes, etc. would all be different. They are not. Similarly, the A/C box, steering shaft, radiator hoses, fuel lines, etc are all identical. The trans hump in the firewall is not "offset", yet the clearance is the same.

Given that the entire front clip and doors interchange between the Supreme and the regular Cutlass/442, WHERE does the "offset" come from? I've got $1000 for the first person who can prove this alleged offset in the 1967-1972 cars.

Joe Padavano
Originally Posted by Ricky V. Richter
If yours is centered Good
go on and use them
there will not be any problem
Thanks Ricky
Oh well. Maybe this is a candidate to add to the "why are people so stupid" thread. Even better, maybe everyone here with headers on their Supremes can email photos to Ricky.

rickyrichter@holley.com
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Ignorance has its price.
In their case, it's probably an expensive price.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM

Good god, they'll never wake up! I would like to see their "documents and measurements".
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM

In their case it sounds like a "We have had a few compliants, lets cover our a$$ with disclaimer so we can say we warned you" Some companies use this as an excuse to handle customer complaints even when they know better. See it all the time in my line of work.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM

They heard it from Mondello. Its in his tech stuff as well. MY bet is someone tried to fit headers on a Supreme with worn body mounts.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM

It's hard to believe they are that blind. Since both cars use the same parts and same frame. The car they used must have been crashed at some point and not fixed properly.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
In their case it sounds like a "We have had a few compliants, lets cover our a$$ with disclaimer so we can say we warned you" Some companies use this as an excuse to handle customer complaints even when they know better. See it all the time in my line of work.

aka CYA

Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM

Hey, I have a set of headers that fit the Supreme that I am trying to get rid of. Since they seem to be so rare and hard to find, I will let them go for $900
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:06 PM

this is Bob Lynch ... I still have a new set, chromed, in the box ... did not fit convertible I gusess so they were extras ... will 300 be a fair price ... mine is a 69 rag top with 455 ... anyone want pics? blynch@fusioncmg.com 949 466 7873 for more info ...
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:15 AM

I have a used set from my Supreme that are free for the taking. no shipping, pick up only!

remember, you get what you pay for

`
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bob Lynch
this is Bob Lynch ... I still have a new set, chromed, in the box ... did not fit convertible I gusess so they were extras ... will 300 be a fair price ... mine is a 69 rag top with 455 ... anyone want pics? blynch@fusioncmg.com 949 466 7873 for more info ...

Again, forward of the firewall, the convertible and hardtop frames are the same. If headers fit the hardtop they will fit the convertible. The only difference in the frames is the boxed rails under the rocker panels, and if your headers are sticking out that far, there's something very wrong.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM

That whole Supreme BS myth is still alive??!!!
If the headers are made for 68-72 Cutlass/442,then they will fit ALL 68-72 Cutlass/442,& yes 4-doors & wagons too.
I would really like to know how that BS got started.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:33 AM

k Joe ... wish I had met you a lot earlier ... this project has been loaded with frustration ... seemed like life was easier back in the 60s when I did most of my work laying in dirt and washing my parts in gas that I kept handy in a 2# coffee can next to my plie of parts ... always seemed to have parts left over though ... that's a good thing since it takes weight off the car, right? Bob
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM

I would say more than likely people either order the wrong set or Hooker Headers sold the wrong set bbo on a sbo or the other way around.
Old April 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eightupman
They heard it from Mondello ........
Just the opposite.

When he started selling Olds parts, he used the information that was supplied by the manufacturers of the products.

Norm
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Just the opposite.

When he started selling Olds parts, he used the information that was supplied by the manufacturers of the products.

Norm
Norm,

Glad you're back. We were concerned with the silence. Hope all is well.
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Nothing wrong, just busy with some new projects.

Thanks for the concern.

Norm
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:20 PM

I have a "expensive" set of Hooker headers that did not fit. bought a set of Headman's that say they dont fit the supreme and had no problem. my guess is that Hooker has made the big tube headers wrong all these years and uses the "we said they wont fit" excuse to cover their butts. for the record nearly every set of Hookers that I have had needed to be bent, beat and battered to make them fit. I will never use their headers again.
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM

I am sending my Cutlass Supreme in on tuesday to have a set of flowtech (hedman) ceramic headers installed, I will post back with results, also throwing a dual 3" magnaflow exhaust under it as well.
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by dan2286
Hey, I have a set of headers that fit the Supreme that I am trying to get rid of. Since they seem to be so rare and hard to find, I will let them go for $900
still available??im so interested with this..i also hope you got a nice set of spare Sway Bar Link available..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; July 12th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:10 PM

Stuff like this defies logic. If the engine were offset(WHY?) then the Supremes would need there own transmission tunnel(separate floorpan), and a special rear axle as well. The only way the engine would be offset in the Supreme vs the S or F85 is if the car had been in a front end collision.
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:30 AM

Part of the problem is that some people mistakenly think their 350 Olds is a "big block" and order BBO headers and of course they don't fit...I use Hedmans on the 442's...