Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Cutlass Power Steering Pump: Changes between 1969 and 1970?

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2020, 09:31 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Cutlass Power Steering Pump: Changes between 1969 and 1970?

I have a 969 Cutlass S with Power Steering. I ordered a replacement Power Steering Hose kit from Fusicks. The return line fit perfectly, but the high pressure line would not thread into the power steering pump. It would start, but instantly bind. The OD of the threads was .020 larger than the original hose fitting. The other end of the hose threaded into the steering box perfectly.

I assumed the hose was built with the wrong fitting on the pump-end of the hose, so I contacted Fusicks and explained the situation. Quick as a bunny they shipped out a replacement kit (That's another reason I love working with that company). Sadly the replacement hose was identical to the first hose they sent me.

I brought both hoses into work and measured the problem fitting. They both measured 5/8-18. I do not have the original power steering hose to measure.

This is a California car that I bought from the original owner. It was extremely original with tons of paperwork including all service records from day one. I am confident that both the Power Steering Pump and the steering box are original to the car.

I see that the hose kits Fusick sells are for model years 1968-1969. Since the locations of both the pump and the box did not change between 1969 and 1970, and since the box fittings are not a problem, that leaves the pump itself. Does anyone here know what changed in 1970? I ask this because my car is a VERY late-build 1969. Perhaps it was built using a 1970 pump?

I know I'm grasping at straws, but neither I nor Fusick has any idea why it doesn't fit.

Can anyone here shed some light on this?
Old March 9th, 2020, 10:48 AM

Original high pressure side hose is a 5/8 fitting on the pump end for a '70 model.

The piece on the back of your pump that the hose threads into IS removeable. It has a large hex/nut shape to it. Maybe the threads in it are screwed up......you may need to take a close look at the threads in that fitting.
Old March 9th, 2020, 11:11 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Originally Posted by 70Post
Original high pressure side hose is a 5/8 fitting on the pump end for a '70 model.

The piece on the back of your pump that the hose threads into IS removeable. It has a large hex/nut shape to it. Maybe the threads in it are screwed up......you may need to take a close look at the threads in that fitting.
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that! The original hose threads in without issue, and measures .020 smaller in diameter. I'll take a look, but dang! I was thinking I might be onto the solution.

Did any pumps use a insert other than 5/8?
Old March 9th, 2020, 12:00 PM

The later pumps used a metric thread with a o-ring. And by later I mean early 80s and up. I don’t recall if the fitting the threads into the pump kept the same thread. I’m guessing not, since there are aluminum seats available in the aftermarket that sit inside the metric steering gearboxes. That provides a tapered seat for the early flare fitting to seal against. If the pump fittings were interchangeable, there would be no need for the adapters
Old March 9th, 2020, 10:06 PM

Can you post the OD measurement of the threads that go into the pump for the NEW HOSE?

I just measured one of mine, original/fitting hose from an original '70 pump (caliper jaws resting on the TOP of the threads - ie outside thread diameter) and it measures at 0.6155"

I also checked the same fitting on a new set of '70 power steering hoses from Inline Tube and the threads measure at 0.615".

This is using a digital dial caliper. Maybe they got a batch of hoses made with the wrong fittings on that end.
Old March 11th, 2020, 09:15 PM

So.....what's the latest on this thing?? You can't just post and then disappear....enquiring minds want to know.