Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

66 Olds 98 Power top

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:32 AM

66 Olds 98 Power top

Hey all, I have searched through my 66 CSM and this site for specs on wiring and components of the top. I've been unsuccessful at finding anything. Does anyone have any wiring info and how to check the rams and electric motor that drives them. What kind of fluid to use? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 66olds98convertible
I have searched through my 66 CSM and this site for specs on wiring and components of the top. I've been unsuccessful at finding anything.
What you need is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-General-Motors-Fisher-Body-Service-Shop-Reapair-Manual-Sheet-Metal-Glass-/140627652435?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A1966|Make%3AOldsmobile&hash=item20be0 faf53&vxp=mtr

Chassis service manuals pretty much cover everything have to do with the engine, drivetrain, brakes, everything else under the hood and under the car, as well as body items that are more or less below the beltline, like the bumpers. Doors, windows, tops, seats, etc. are covered in the same year's Body Service Manual. GM put out a single body manual covering all of its makes, so the manual linked to above has not only Oldsmobile, but Chevy, Pontiac, and all the rest.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 29th, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
2 '66 98's

The system can use just about any kind of hydraulic fluid - brake, power steering, automatic trans, jack oil. To check the motor/pump, just run a jumper wire from the battery to one of the two wires on the plug to the motor. It should run in one direction. Connect to the other wire and it should run in the other direction. If there is ample fluid in the system, the rams should extend or retract. It is generally a good idea to separate the fluid reservoir from the motor/pump and clean everything up well. Over time, a white sludge builds up and clogs the pump ports. Install a new O-ring on the motor shaft to prevent fluid seepage in to the motor. The reservoir gasket is usually good enough to re-use. If the rams are leaking at the seals, you will have to buy new rams. They are not rebuildable. They are readily available from several vendors. The motor/pump units are also available if necessary. If you don't get any wiring info, send me a PM and I will help you out. It is too lengthy to go into here.

Bruce
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys! This gives me a direction to go. I'l be following through over the next several weeks. Thanks again.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Hery guys, just an update. I found the hot leads to the motor disconnected and touching metal. I did as you suggested bigoldscruiser, using a jumper wire from the battery and the motor worked both ways. So I got bold and hooked up the wiring to the dash switch and it worked both ways! I was pleasantly surprised! Reservoir was pretty empty. As I removed the motor and pump assembly, oil ran through the electric motor, so the o-ring was bad. Cleaned out the electric motor with Q-tips and installed a new O-ring, filled the reservoir, using jack oil and it will raise and lower the top strongly. Both rams leak though, so I'll have to track down new rams. The Fischer body manual will be of great help jaunty75, to do the adjustments cause the top doesn't sit down on the top of the passenger side windows and the ram on that side is tight against the wheel well. Thanks again for the suggestions. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:42 AM

Glad to hear that you've made progress!
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:01 PM

My 66 98 conv switch has always been wired to the firewall circuit breaker with a 10 or 12 gauge wire and ring terminal on the firewall end. I believe this circuit also serves the power window/seat relay. Same wire color too orange/black striped.