Year One gear box TOO tight !

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
Year One gear box TOO tight !

Has any one used the 'quick ratio' steering gear box from Year One, made by ARG ?????? Mies in my '69 Cutlass, and it's way too tight, tried to readjust it, didn't help, so I ordered a second one , Year One was very happty to sent a 2nd one,,,,,,,,, this one is also VERY tight to turn , I even tried to loosen all the adjuatments up, does not help, I think I broke mt new inch pound torque wrench , too. Factory book says 16 ''# total , these both have 50 to 60 '' #..... What have you guys used ???? What supplier ?? How tight are yours ?????????????thanks
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:52 PM

has any one switched to a quicker ratio gear box ? If so, what kind or brand did you use ?
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:40 PM

I have a AGR box in mine. Steers and feels like my 10 Silverado. Works great! The VERY important thing with these is to bleed them slowly and follow the bleeding instructions to a tee. Whatever you do, don't start the engine until the bleading process is complete. It takes awile.
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM
TRW

I have an AGR box in my 66 Chevelle. I love the feel it gives. It is probably 3-4 times stiffer at the steering wheel than stock.

Tom
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Ben

the AGR box is supposed to be much stiffer.

Did you bleed the power steering system properly? If you didn't (and created foam instead) it will be as if you took the belt off the power steering pump and be rediculously hard to turn.

I would bet $$$ that between your two pump swaps your pump and fluid is full or air and foam.

Do a search on my name in the steering suspension forum and somewhere i typed up instructions on how to bleed a power steering box.

The long and short of it is, do not start the car until you have turned the wheel lock to lock about a bazillion times.

The gearbox will work as its own air pump and will pump the fluid through the system, but you must keep turning it lock to lock to get all the air out.

If at any point it foamed up (because you started the motor) you need to stop and wait several hours for all the foam & airbubbles at the top to disappate, then try again, turning lock to lock until there are no small bubbles coming up to the top.

Make sure you watch the level while turning it- if its full of air, as you turn the box, the level will suddenly drop.

Last edited by RAMBOW; June 11th, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:28 AM

OK, thanks guys !