Power steering belt too tight?

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Question Power steering belt too tight?

I'd been having some squealing from the pump since I got the engine back in the bay. But really it was only when I mashed the gas but it was enough to bother me (since I apparently like mashing the gas). So I reread Joe P's instructions on tightening the belt and went to work. It's tight now....very tight. Now I'm worried it's too tight. I read on here that it may be more difficult to get the PS belt tight if the AC belt is missing; and mine will be missing until I replace the clutch or get a new compressor.
Am I going to damage my PS pump by having it so tight? I can deflect it the required half inch in the middle but I really have to push hard. If I do damage it, are the replacements any good?

On a lighter note; I got a new, regular duty fan clutch for Christmas That heavy duty clutch was driving me crazy. It NEVER disengaged!
Old December 25th, 2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
I'd been having some squealing from the pump since I got the engine back in the bay. But really it was only when I mashed the gas but it was enough to bother me (since I apparently like mashing the gas). So I reread Joe P's instructions on tightening the belt and went to work. It's tight now....very tight. Now I'm worried it's too tight. I read on here that it may be more difficult to get the PS belt tight if the AC belt is missing; and mine will be missing until I replace the clutch or get a new compressor.
Am I going to damage my PS pump by having it so tight? I can deflect it the required half inch in the middle but I really have to push hard. If I do damage it, are the replacements any good?

On a lighter note; I got a new, regular duty fan clutch for Christmas That heavy duty clutch was driving me crazy. It NEVER disengaged!
Merry Christmas to YOU.......
Yes, in your situation it can be Too Tight and damage the bearings in the WP. Just tighten it enough to get rid of the squeal.
Old December 25th, 2014, 04:58 PM

Merry Christmas Randy
I've been back and forth on it a little. Seems it's either too tight or it squeals. I suppose I could put the AC belt back on. I think it free-wheels okay.
Old December 26th, 2014, 03:51 AM

Double check that the pulleys are parallel with each other and that the fore/aft alignment is good (i.e. no more than ~ 1/16" +/- ). Also double check for worn pulleys and/or a glazed belt. You've probably already checked these issues, but I thought I'd mention them just in case. Next adjust the belt deflection as per the service manual (i.e. generally 1/2 inch 'downward' deflection). Otherwise, you may indeed need to install the AC (as you've said). Good luck and have a good weekend!
Old December 26th, 2014, 02:36 PM

Thanks FMB42, I appreciate the input. It was a very fine line but I think I found just the right tension this morning. I get a good half inch deflection and it doesn't squeal when I stomp on it. But now my gas mileage has dropped. Maybe I should put the squeal back, lol.
Old December 26th, 2014, 09:13 PM

If the belt is glazed there are belt "dressings" available which will increase the frictional factor between the belt and the pulley. This can eliminate the squeal without having to resort to excessive tension.
Accelerator position usually has an effect on fuel economy.
Old December 27th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Thanks FMB42, I appreciate the input. It was a very fine line but I think I found just the right tension this morning. I get a good half inch deflection and it doesn't squeal when I stomp on it. But now my gas mileage has dropped. Maybe I should put the squeal back, lol.
Good that the squeal is gone.....but it probably was squealing BECAUSE your were stomping on the gas so much.....hence the poor fuel economy!
Old December 28th, 2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
If the belt is glazed there are belt "dressings" available which will increase the frictional factor between the belt and the pulley. This can eliminate the squeal without having to resort to excessive tension.
Accelerator position usually has an effect on fuel economy.
Originally Posted by R-body_mopar
Good that the squeal is gone.....but it probably was squealing BECAUSE your were stomping on the gas so much.....hence the poor fuel economy!
The belts only have 2k miles on them or so and don't have the appreance of being glazed at all. I used to use belt dressing on the belts in VCRs when I used to repair them. Worked like a dream but tended to collect dust, eventually making the problem worse.
The belt was just a little loose. And I overcompensated by making it too tight (I apparently like to overcompensate ).

I'm good to go now. Thanks guys!
Oh, and no promises about keep my foot out of the gas. I'm going through a second teenagerhood