stripped thread remedy opinions

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2012, 08:14 AM
72 Olds CS

stripped thread remedy opinions

I stripped the threads where the front sway bar bolts into the frame, the threads on the frame part stripped not the bolt. . It does not appear to be a captive nut or anything like that in the frame it seems like it just threads into the frame metal

The current threaded bolt is a 3/8-13 (im no fastener expert so please correct any of mistakes).

I plan to retap the hole to a 7/16-20 fine thread fastener to replace it. is that a good idea or should I stick to a 7/16-13 (coarse thread) or is a heli coil better in this case.

it appears access to the inside of the frame is very limited

TIA for any opinions on this
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Try the fine thread first it will hold better than the corse. If that doesn't work you will need to drill the hole out slighty to use the heli coil. The advantage with the heli coil you can use the factory bolt size and type. If your not concerned with origanalality the tap should be fine.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM

I drilled them out and got a bolt in there with a lock washer on it so it wouldn't spin when I put the nut on.

yeah, it sucked getting those bolts through the holes. I did it so long ago i don't even remember how...., seems to me I wrapped the bolt with tie wire and fished it around until it popped through the hole. I didn't have the engine installed yet though so access was pretty good

Last edited by allyolds68; June 11th, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
seems to me I wrapped the bolt with tie wire and fished it around until it popped through the hole.
Wow, that's EXACTLY how I did it when I had the same problem. This is common when upgrading to a larger than stock front sway bar. The threads are simply self tapping bolts screwed into the frame. Quality aftermarket sway bar kits use larger nutserts, but you need a special tool to install them.
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic....=stripped+sway

Has a few different remedies noted. I started this thread because of the left side challenge presented by steering box bolt tubes. Right side has good access to add a nut inside the rail.

Last edited by bccan; June 11th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:48 AM
72 Olds CS

alright thanks for all the replys many good ideas, I wrapped this up last night.

On the passenger side I added a nut inside the frame, easy to do with a magnet to hold the nut and you can see where your working easy enough. Only the front bolt hole was stripped but I added a nut on both fasteners (after thread chasing the rear bolt hole) both of those are super solid now !!!

The drivers side as noted has poor access and adding a fastener in the frame may be possible but certainly a challenge. the rear bolt hole was OK I thread chased it and it felt good. The front hole was stripped, I drilled and tapped it to 7/16 - 20 (fine thread) thinking I would get a couple extra threads over a coarse thread for hopefully a little more bite. that one came out great too but as bccan noted I had to flat side the washer and relieve the bar bracket hole to accept the 7/16 fastener.

In the end its all good brackets are now nice and tight. This is with a 1 1/4 sway bar.

I attached a pic showing the passenger side frame and inside the frame you can see one of the nuts I added
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sway bar mount.jpg (67.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg
sway bar mount nut.jpg (45.8 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by RetroRanger; June 13th, 2012 at 04:51 AM.