Chipped paint remedy?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Chipped paint remedy?

Howdy,

This has probaly been asked and answered, so I'll ask it again. Short of sanding and a spot repaint, is there a way to make about a hundred or so small chips on the front hood area look somewhat decent? I'm not sure that the little paint touch up bottles or the father-in-law suggested, "just take a bottle of red fingernail polish and dab it on" will do the trick. Not sure of the type of paint that was used on the supposed one repaint back in the mid 80's, but it is still real shiny. Any ideas will be seriously pondered.

Muchos Gracias!
Rob
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM

We would usually touch up cars in the body shop with the paint that was mixed for the repair on the car using an artists brush. If it is single stage you might be able to touch it up with some matched paint nib any high spots, wet sand and buff. Really the best way is to do it right though.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Registered

Maybe they painted the car with fingernail polish? I've heard the old stories of guys buying cases of those little bottles.
I had a red GTO that had those little chips and I used that colored wax and it sort of hid them, hokey but better than nothing.

Otherwise x 2 with Mr. Trux.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by HouTXCutlass
Howdy,

This has probaly been asked and answered, so I'll ask it again. Short of sanding and a spot repaint, is there a way to make about a hundred or so small chips on the front hood area look somewhat decent? I'm not sure that the little paint touch up bottles or the father-in-law suggested, "just take a bottle of red fingernail polish and dab it on" will do the trick. Not sure of the type of paint that was used on the supposed one repaint back in the mid 80's, but it is still real shiny. Any ideas will be seriously pondered.

Muchos Gracias!
Rob
Best solution .....stand back 10 ft

My paint will never look good up close unless I repaint the whole car but stand back a few feet it becomes show quality.
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Maybe they painted the car with fingernail polish? I've heard the old stories of guys buying cases of those little bottles.
I had a red GTO that had those little chips and I used that colored wax and it sort of hid them, hokey but better than nothing.

Otherwise x 2 with Mr. Trux.
I can relate to hokey and that sounds like the cheepest remedy and cheep is good enough for the birds, so I'll put it on the short list. Thanks.....
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by csstrux
We would usually touch up cars in the body shop with the paint that was mixed for the repair on the car using an artists brush. If it is single stage you might be able to touch it up with some matched paint nib any high spots, wet sand and buff. Really the best way is to do it right though.
There is a paint & body shop right up the street from me so I'll see what they quote for something like this. They have a few hot rods that I hear them crank up every now and again, so they maybe they'll give me a good price. Thanks.......
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Best solution .....stand back 10 ft

My paint will never look good up close unless I repaint the whole car but stand back a few feet it becomes show quality.
Yeah it looks much better from a distance and from most sides except the front when you're right up on it. Sorta like when you're in a bar and had a few and that sweet young thing across the room looks like a million bucks and then when you get up close, you see that she was shortchanged about 999 thousand. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder....