Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brakets

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM

Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brakets

I wanted to see if anyone had these installed? Do they really make a difference/worth the time and money. I have the body off the frame and the frame is about to get powder coated, so now is the time to get this done if it's worth while.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...products_id=29
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:12 PM

My $.02 on the relocation brackets is if you will be doing mostly street driving, don't use brackets that have to be welded in and are permanent. I had these relocation brackets from METCO in my 65
http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...p?prod=MIC0009
They are a bolt in brackets designed to be used with their arms. They do work. They plant the tires and are a huge improvement over no suspension tuning on a stock style chassis. They do have trade offs when it comes to street driving. They tend to keep the rear of the car raised and pre-loaded as long as you are in the gas. Ride quality suffers due to the pre-loaded state. Simple things like turning left at a stop sign feel odd as the torque of the engine will twist slightly as the car raises causing you to feel a roll sensation. I took mine off due to the fact that I still have not made it to the track and I love to drive this car anywhere I can. Since I removed the brackets and drag radials traction is a distant memory of days past. It just spins and spins lol
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bill in NC
My $.02 on the relocation brackets is if you will be doing mostly street driving, don't use brackets that have to be welded in and are permanent. I had these relocation brackets from METCO in my 65
http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...p?prod=MIC0009
They are a bolt in brackets designed to be used with their arms. They do work. They plant the tires and are a huge improvement over no suspension tuning on a stock style chassis. They do have trade offs when it comes to street driving. They tend to keep the rear of the car raised and pre-loaded as long as you are in the gas. Ride quality suffers due to the pre-loaded state. Simple things like turning left at a stop sign feel odd as the torque of the engine will twist slightly as the car raises causing you to feel a roll sensation. I took mine off due to the fact that I still have not made it to the track and I love to drive this car anywhere I can. Since I removed the brackets and drag radials traction is a distant memory of days past. It just spins and spins lol
Thanks for the response. I ended up not installing these. This isn't a drag car (although I'm sure it'll find it's way to the track a time or two) didn't really think I needed them. I figure a good suspension will accomplish more than I need it to do. I'll keep the bolt in model in mind in case I change my mind later.
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

i might be wrong but the umi brackets have diffent holes for diffrent settings . its got stock 1 inch and 2 inch down i think. Im getting these for my olds i had the edelbrock anti hop bars and loved them it had no impact on handling or street manners . The only downside was that the downard force on the rear end hosing bent the axle and axle tube im my experience atleast.
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
i might be wrong but the umi brackets have diffent holes for diffrent settings . its got stock 1 inch and 2 inch down i think. Im getting these for my olds i had the edelbrock anti hop bars and loved them it had no impact on handling or street manners . The only downside was that the downard force on the rear end hosing bent the axle and axle tube im my experience atleast.
Do you have a picture of the anti hop bars installed. I've seen these, but I've had a hard time imagining what they look like installed.
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

im sorry i dont. They mount between the upper control arm and rear end pumpkin area . they move the upper control arms up about 4 to 5 inches. it also replaces upper rear end bushing to alumium. if you go on lakewood or edelbrocks site it shows you how they look.
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Ben

I had the UMI relocation brackets on my 68 elcamino.
They bolt on the rear axle housing where the lower rear control arms attach to it.

They have 2 new mounting positions starting about 2" below the original.

The brackets basically turn factory lower control arms into the old Lift bars.
They did seem to work pretty good.. but things to keep in mind. You won't be able to run the factory rear sway bar if you have one... it will now hang down way too far due to the angle of the rear control arms.

The stuff that Bill mentioned i found to be true as well. Not a big deal, but there was some noticeable differences in street behaviour. Although i only drove it with them in the lowest position. I had always meant to try the middle setting, but never got around to it before i sold the car.

If you watch my video in my sig line, you can see how hard the shock to the rear tires was when i started the burnout- the car acutally bounces when it starts as the suspension unloads. Really too much.. but at the power level i was at, i didn't have any wheelspin off the line w/ drag radials so i was ok with it.

Personally if i were to do it again, i think I would skip the relocation bracksts and focus on better adjustable components.

Last edited by RAMBOW; November 14th, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Personally if i were to do it again, i think I would skip the relocation bracksts and focus on better adjustable components.
That's the plan. I'm not done with the rear axle yet, but the plan is to get Global West Upper adjustable control arms, lower control arms, Strange adjustable stocks, haven't decided on springs or sway bar. Most likely GW for both. I really don't want to lower the rear too much. I plan on running a 28.5in rear tire around 12in wide.
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by Timmy T
That's the plan. I'm not done with the rear axle yet, but the plan is to get Global West Upper adjustable control arms, lower control arms, Strange adjustable stocks, haven't decided on springs or sway bar. Most likely GW for both. I really don't want to lower the rear too much. I plan on running a 28.5in rear tire around 12in wide.
I would look at the Currie-trac upper control arms.
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Control arms

I used these arms on my 67 442. They are made by pmt fabrication.
In dallas texas. Very nice pieces and very strong. Check them out at. Pmt fabrication.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0000157_300.jpg (72.3 KB, 24 views)
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSMORAT
I used these arms on my 67 442. They are made by pmt fabrication.
In dallas texas. Very nice pieces and very strong. Check them out at. Pmt fabrication.com
That's a good looking set. Not to open too much of a debate, but what's the advantage of boxed over tubular? I've always thought tubular was stronger.