Coils wear out?

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Coils wear out?

I am in the midst or replacing my front end bushings, tie rods, ball joints etc. Do Coils wear out? I figured I might just pull them off and get them sand blasted and powder coated along with the rest of what I pull off getting powder coated. Is this something I should replace beings I'm tore into this thing? If so, what would you recommend going with? Also what do you think about the powder coating? I know a guy that will due it fairly cheap. You think it will hold up or just chip off?
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:51 AM

I've had a few items powder coated and it's tough stuff. I think the problem might be getting the correct finish on things like suspension parts. It all comes down to what your restoration goals are.
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Yes coil springs do over time and overloading/abuse do fatigue and wear. How is the car sitting, does it sag? is the ride sloppy? If so you likely have one or more springs giving up the ghost. If not you should be OK. That said now would be the time to replace them if you are going to, assuming everything is apart already.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM

I use to think they wore out too, until I asked a spring manufacturer here. He said No, coil springs do not wear out, they just loose some of there load and can be shimmed if needed..

Personally, I like my car to sit low and it will handle better...

I would paint them with black engine enamal...

Last edited by Hydro462; May 5th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by csstrux
Yes coil springs do over time and overloading/abuse do fatigue and wear. How is the car sitting, does it sag? is the ride sloppy? If so you likely have one or more springs giving up the ghost. If not you should be OK. That said now would be the time to replace them if you are going to, assuming everything is apart already.

Absolutely correct! Coil springs over time "compress" and can significantly alter the handling characteristics of a vehicle. Sagging coil springs can also make it virtually impossible obtain proper alignments. More often than not the problem with sagging coil springs began with too light springs for the application. Happened all the time with cars in the 1950s and 1960s as automakers sought to deliver cars with a cushy (mushy) ride.

Putting shims between the coils may restore proper height, prevent or limit further sagging, and make alignments possible but it is a jackass way of addressing the problem. Shims will always make ride stiffer and keep springs from reacting to the road as intended.