Cheese & Rice! What have I gotten myself into?

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator

I went with the 5272 spring, it was the stiffest I could find. My deal will be very easy and straight forward, it's not brain surgery. I don't have a time table because I do have an extra car, the wardens!

I do understand about working on cars all the time, if I'm not playing with mine then a buddies! I spent most of the winter helping my friend get his 61 chevy truck back on the road after sitting for a few years. We got it running in November and he drove it for about 3 miles with the original 6 in it and it spun a rod bearing. So then we spent the past 6mos building and installing a light performance 307, and converting it from a 3 spd column shift to a T350. That was an interesting swap, had to fab all new mounts, linkage and find an automatic column. we got it on the road 2 weeks ago.

The next project I think will be an old school 55 Chev 2dr post, thats been laying around for 15-20 years, no power train. So it's a blank slate!
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Yeah mine is griping because all last week I was helping my buddy with his '68 Camaro Pro Street car. We redid all the wiring for the nitrous and cleaned the floor pans out. That was one huge MAW project...ended up putting racing seats, a new shifter, new carpet, a rear disc conversion...all sorts of crap.

I pretty much shot myself in the foot too! I smoked him last time out at the track so all of my efforts were to help the car go faster and thus, beat ME

Wish i could be there for the '55, that is my favorite year for those cars...that car needs a 572
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator

We are leaning towards 427.
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Well, that's a good one too
Old September 8th, 2012, 02:21 AM

Totally Nuts!

Ok, it's catch up time...and I don't mean the kind that comes in a bottle So the springs came in on Friday, but due to some prior obligations I was unable to start work until 9 pm. What I got done...everything. It's done. You want pictures? Or should this just be the end? Ok, here's a few pictures:

New springs:

New springs installed:

New shocks installed:

In all this was NOT hard...I was really scared that because of the longer springs the compressor would be a pain to deal with. But my wife was able to help and it wasn't as scary as I thought, they actually collapse much easier than the stock HD springs. Hint Hint, Jerry...get some trick springs

I spent a great deal of time tonight cleaning bolts before I put it all back together. I even polished the stupid lug nuts because I'm too cheap to go buy new ones lol!

But in the end, I am VERY happy with the way the ride height turned out. I didn't have to cut the springs at all and it sits just right...but I need an alignment in a bad way.

Ralph, you mentioned something earlier in the thread about an organized work space...I thought I'd take a picture of my socket drawer for you Damn aviation! It's ruined me I tell ya!

Goodnight / morning...I don't care, I'm going to bed.
Old September 8th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Old School Olds

Very nicely done Steve!
Looks great too.
Did ya make an appointment
for the front end shop for Sat?
I'm sure they can get you in by 5:30 today.
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:45 AM

I'd swear I can see the excessive positive camber in the picture. Don't forget to adjust the headlights too, they'll be down in the mud with the 2” drop.

On the other hand, just keep your foot into it and the front should stay up in the air bringing everything back into alignment!
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Well done Steve!
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Very nicely done Steve!
Looks great too.
Did ya make an appointment
for the front end shop for Sat?
I'm sure they can get you in by 5:30 today.
If that shop is Joe, and he can come today then yes, "they'll" get me in by 5:30

Originally Posted by joesw31
Just think all of this because I said not to cut the front springs...

It looks great, and lets get it aligned!
Ok, I'm waiting...are you coming over today or tomorrow?

Originally Posted by Highwayman
I'd swear I can see the excessive positive camber in the picture. Don't forget to adjust the headlights too, they'll be down in the mud with the 2” drop.

On the other hand, just keep your foot into it and the front should stay up in the air bringing everything back into alignment!
Oh yeah, you can really see the camber is out, WAY OUT! I don't have a single shim in the upper control arm shaft. And good call on the headlights...I didn't think about that. But I do like your idea of keeping the gas pedal on the floor

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Well done Steve!
Thanks Eric! I wish I could come to Dallas this weekend...it'd be really easy to do yours after having just finished mine. It's all fresh in my head lol! Good luck with it though!
Old September 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Administrator

The springs showed up Friday afternoon, and today is the day. It should not be to bad. I'll be doing it at my buddies shop and hopefully be back on the road this evening. One other perk is the temp will only be in the mid 80's vs 100+ we've had.
Old September 9th, 2012, 11:09 PM

I heard you got it done with NO MAW's! Very nice! Are you gonna align it yourself or take it somewhere? I'm debating that myself.
Old September 10th, 2012, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Spindle is done...now I can start the driver's side. I'm glad I already did the bushings and ball joints!

Did that start with the statement " That should only take the day" coz if my eyes are right its dark there !!! lol
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:06 PM

LOL! Well I never said I was gonna take a day...I think Eric said that haha! I knew I was in for a multi-day affair...I needed to clean everything and make it purty

P.S. The car is quite scary on the street now...it was so stiff before you couldn't feel the acceleration. Now, you better hold on! Lord have mercy it's quite violent! Daddy likee
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Yes got it done, no maw's, lower ball joints, new lower control arm bushings, new springs, and new sway bar links. The upper ball joints had to wait ran out of time. I had replaced the upper control arm bushings a while back. Started at 1:30 in the afternoon, finished at 7:30 that evening.

What made this job go so quick was the use of an oxy-acetylene torch with the bushings, not much beating involved. Did not use a spring compressor, just a floor jack and a pry bar to pop the springs into the lower pocket. Them springs were stiff!

I was beat, felt like crap Monday, had pain in places I didn't think I had places. Today I felt a bit better with some Advil. Tomorrow I'll be back to 100%.