Edelbrock 3711 v 7111 v OL4B

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Edelbrock 3711 v 7111 v OL4B

Looking for a manifold for my 330.

I like the 7111 mani's but I'm looking to do a stock air cleaner (more like a late 80's 442 cleaner) for the sleeper look.

I know that the aircleaner is right agasint the hood on a 78-85 Delta 88 (probably a CC too) but IDK if it is like that on a 78-80 a body, or the "G" body cars. I would think that it's not going to fit with the 7111

I found a OL4B Edelbrock on eBay and I'm thinking about picking it up. I know they are good for idle to 5500 RPM's and the 7111 is good for 1500-6500 RPM's but the guy selling says that he feels that the OL4B flows better than the 3711.

What does everybody else think? I don't know anything about the OL4B mani (probably mixed up the leters too )

Not really intersted on spending $250 on an intake manifold.
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:25 AM

The Edelbrock O4B is an older manifold. It works fine but it will not accomodate HEI ignition. You could always run a points style distributor with a Pertronix conversion kit though. If the price is right buy it.
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
The Edelbrock O4B is an older manifold. It works fine but it will not accomodate HEI ignition. You could always run a points style distributor with a Pertronix conversion kit though. If the price is right buy it.
The O4B is the BBO version and does not clear HEI. The question was about the OL4B ("L" for "low deck", perhaps?) which is the SBO version. I have not tried the OL4B with HEI, but it may clear due to the lower deck and thus lower manifold relative to the distributor body.
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I ran the RPM with a 1/2" nitrous plate and a big bulky Ram Air Box in my G-body, so I would not think that hood clearance is an issue. You just need the proper drop base. You did not post your engine specs, but if it is relatively stock, the Performer is probably the better choice. Used ones are available all the time for around $100. I know it is heresy, but I like to paint my intakes the same color as the engine, even the RPM, definitely gives it the stock/sleeper look.
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Right now I have a stock 1967 Olds motor.

I'm going to be adding a double roller chain since I'm going to replace the chain anyway. 5 or 6 quart oil pan, and roller rockers.

I will have HEI on the motor, and I'm planing on putting a late 80's 442 dual snorkal air cleaner on it for the ram air effect.

I plan on painting the motor the correct color to the year car it's going in. If I get a 80's Delta, CC, or Cutlass, EVERYTHING will be flat black. Late 70's early 80's "A" body, GM Corp Blue (which I do not like that color)
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by captjim
I know it is heresy, but I like to paint my intakes the same color as the engine, even the RPM, definitely gives it the stock/sleeper look.
I like to go one better and grind off the Edelbrock logo then sandblast to hide the grinding marks before painting. It also solves the problem of having to deal with corrosion on the aluminum.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM

I will have HEI on the motor
If you are going to put HEI on the motor I suggest a modern Edelbrock manifold. Either that or do some research and make sure the SBO version of the manifold will clear HEI.
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM

I asked the seller if it would fit with HEI
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Nope just was a pic on ROP, and it doesn't fit
Old August 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic....ight=performer
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Bummer.
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:39 AM
BobsW32

I have an OL4B intake on my 1970 Cutlass Convertible with a 350 motor and an HEI.

Close but it works.... You will have to get your vaccum advance just right so that you have some adjustment with the distributor but I Have had it in there for 8 years......Where are you doing your driving....If this is for the street, like mine, and it never sees 6000 rpm then it doesn't matter.... Like Joe said grind off the logo and paint it to match the motor.

Last edited by Bobsw32; August 14th, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Street and strip car, going for the sleeper look
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM

I have an edelbrock intake that I got when I bought my Cutlass [1965 F85, 330 SBO]. Changing out to a big block so I really have no need for it!

Yours for $125 plus shipping.

Have a great day! -Craig

Old August 21st, 2009, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Schober Motorsports
I have an edelbrock intake that I got when I bought my Cutlass

Yours for $125 plus shipping.
You do realize that the SP2P was a small runner low-RPM "gas mileage" design from the bad old days of the 1970s after Oil Crisis #1, right? Intake runner technology has come a long way since then.
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You do realize that the SP2P was a small runner low-RPM "gas mileage" design from the bad old days of the 1970s after Oil Crisis #1, right? Intake runner technology has come a long way since then.

Look at #2 and #8, YIKES!
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, so maybe it would be an upgrade from an A5...
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM

I plan on porting the mani a bit, but that one is a lot of work
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:24 AM
MOTORHEAD

The easter bunny dropped this off this am. Send me a pm if you are still looking for one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1 easter 010.jpg (50.0 KB, 151 views)
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:28 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have an A5 aluminum intake how does that compare to the performer.
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I have an A5 aluminum intake how does that compare to the performer.
A5 has half-height ports. Suitable only for half-height port heads like 6A, 7A, #10, 2A [260]

A4 is more like it.
I am running an A4 on my 403, and it works fine. The Edelbrock Performer 350 I had to give up on- numerous fitment issues like carb fasteners, throttle cable bracket [really!?], throttle arm interference, etc., and then it leaked too [my fault].

Went back to A4, NO WORRY install, works great. I don't have headers but do have 3.73 gearing.
Old March 31st, 2013, 02:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
The easter bunny dropped this off this am. Send me a pm if you are still looking for one
It's only been four years since the question was asked...
Old March 31st, 2013, 02:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
A5 has half-height ports. Suitable only for half-height port heads like 6A, 7A, #10, 2A [260]
Didn't someone write a little jingle about that years ago...

Actually, can you confirm that the A5 fits and aligns with the 260 heads? Not that I've ever owned or even touched a pair of 260 heads, but it would be nice to know if someone asked. The "4bbl manifold for my 260" question does come up here about once a year.
Old March 31st, 2013, 02:57 PM
MOTORHEAD

Maybe I should have sent a pm instead and missed out on all this fun
I did find eightupman had one of these for sale

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...4b-intake.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...buddy-bar.html
Attached Images
1 easter 013.jpg (72.9 KB, 82 views)
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:52 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Intake

$130 plus shipping barely used.

Intake_zps96964382.jpg
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:35 AM

I cant see #2 and #8 because of a Silverado advertisement.
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:11 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Ok... what's with those holes in the floor of the plenum? Got 'em in mine, too.... gonna weld them shut.
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by krooser
Ok... what's with those holes in the floor of the plenum? Got 'em in mine, too.... gonna weld them shut.
That's for EGR to be CARB emissions legal. If you don't use them, just insert pipe plugs.
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:35 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

That's for EGR to be CARB emissions legal. If you don't use them, just insert pipe plugs.
Thanks Joe... I thought maybe someone got busy with their new drill at Christmas...
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:53 AM

Keep in mind if you plug that hole in the floor of the plenum, you may have a flat spot off-idle. It doesn't hurt performance if you leave it alone, but if you block it, you have to compensate with tune.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:12 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455
Keep in mind if you plug that hole in the floor of the plenum, you may have a flat spot off-idle. It doesn't hurt performance if you leave it alone, but if you block it, you have to compensate with tune.

I guess I'm not sure how blocking those holes would give you a flat spot if you're not using the EGR system... never had any manifold that had two holes in the plenum but then again I have never used any EGR systems on any modified engine.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Nope, sorry. The flat spot is due to having the carb and timing set up for EGR and then disabling the EGR. If you have a non-EGR motor to start with, plugging the holes will definitely NOT cause a flat spot.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Nope, sorry. The flat spot is due to having the carb and timing set up for EGR and then disabling the EGR. If you have a non-EGR motor to start with, plugging the holes will definitely NOT cause a flat spot.
I'm so old I can't even spell EGR...
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:32 AM

Isn't that kind of what I said? Compensate with tune I believe is the phrase. That pretty much covers both aspects, with EGR or not.

Don't immediately chaulk me up as some typical internet forum idiot, at least give it some time before you make a decision!

I had an HSD one time that I planned to run on a Pontiac 400. HSD = Holley Street Dominator, for all that need clarification. That intake as you know is a single plane, and it too had one hole on the floor. I asked around, and everyone said plug it.

So I called Holley. They initially responded with the over-the-counter response of yes, it's EGR, or more correctly, to adhere to EGR standards. I pressed and asked well what about cars that didn't originally have EGR? Then the bag of worms opened. First, that hole is used for 2 reasons, to meet CARB standards, which is technically a lie, but anyway, the second reason is to compensate for the large plenum area, and allow for a leaner carb setting at low velocity, such as seen during idling and low speed/RPM. It helps consume 'space' and improve idle mixture. To compensate, like when it is blocked, you have to richen the idle mix, and increase the pump shot to aid in off-idle transition. Doing so creates an excessively rich mixture during that time, and you 'could' create a flat spot off-idle during transtion to the primary circuit. Tuning to that extent would require additional work/understanding, so to make it easier, might as well leave it. There is minimal to no performance hit (when properly tuned in either way).

I tried it both ways, adjusted tune, and saw no difference in performance in my application. It did however take much longer to dial in with it blocked.

Now since the plenum on the dual plane low rise is so small, there may be a difference, but I would venture to guess that the results would be the same.

So, in the end, I will stick with my original post, which obviously took much less time to type! If you want to argue this further, you could always call 1-900-Edelbrock-grip-line.

Old April 12th, 2013, 03:08 PM

the second reason is to compensate for the large plenum area, and allow for a leaner carb setting at low velocity, such as seen during idling and low speed/RPM. It helps consume 'space' and improve idle mixture.
How does a hole ( or 2 holes in a dual plane intake ) consume space? If anything, wouldn't it actually add space? Just trying to wrap my head around it.
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM

The exhaust gasses are what actually consume space, and it's not enough to excessively dilute the intake charge.

Old April 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

The posts here appear that there are some misconceptions as to how the EGR passages are routed in a manifold. These manifolds have a normal exhaust heat passage under the carb. They also have a parallel passageway that runs from the EGR valve to the two ports under the carb. With the EGR valve closed or removed and capped off, this second passage is simply stagnant air space that is connected to the manifold plenum. It doesn't do anything constructive. It MIGHT end up acting as a hemholtz resonator at some specific engine speed, but I can't see how it would help anything on an engine with the EGR capped (as the O.P. has indicated his is). The Holley phone tech is either not understanding the question or is clueless.

When the EGR is functioning, the exhaust gas dilutes the intake mixture to reduce combustion temps and thus reduce NOx emissions. When the EGR is not functioning (pretty much any time other than part throttle cruise) or when it is capped, there is obviously no exhaust gas and thus no dilution.

That may be what was meant in the posts above, but it doesn't come across that way. In any case, for a non-EGR application, you can do nothing or you can plug the holes. The effect either way will be negligible.
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:34 AM

The EGR passage is separate from the heat crossover? Then true it would have no effect when the EGR valve is not used, or at least it would seem so.

My experience is stricktly from the HSD intake and Pontiacs as mentioned above, and in that case it was all one passage. I don't recall Pontiacs having an EGR valve all the way thru '73, or AIR pumps. So there could be a difference.

I'm about to swap out my Performer with an RPM, and at that time I will take a first hand look at those passages. I'm certainly curious!

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

The EGR passage is separate from the heat crossover? Then true it would have no effect when the EGR valve is not used, or at least it would seem so.

My experience is stricktly from the HSD intake and Pontiacs as mentioned above, and in that case it was all one passage. I don't recall Pontiacs having an EGR valve all the way thru '73, or AIR pumps. So there could be a difference.
Every intake that injects the EGR through the intake has separate passages as I described. If there were only one passage, you would have exhaust flowing into the intake all the time. EGR only injects exhaust into the intake at part throttle cruise (which is why it has virtually no effect on W.O.T. performance). The EGR valve simply acts as a "jumper" to connect the normal exhaust crossover passageway to the separate EGR passageway when the valve is open. When the valve is closed, the separate EGR passageway does nothing.

Note that not all engines route the EGR this way. Some have separate EGR passageways in the heads, for example.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:18 AM

I went through my notes, and you are correct, guess my memory isn't serving me as well as I had hoped! I dug up a pic of the bottom side of the HSD and it does in fact have a separate passage. (attached) Apologize for any confusion I may have caused!

It's been so long since I've run an EGR intake, that doesn't help my memory either!

Attached Images
Bottom of Pontiac HSD.jpg (106.8 KB, 68 views)