Can someone please help me identify this part

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2019, 03:53 PM

Can someone please help me identify this part

So, I was changing out my thermostat today and I barely bumped this part behind the heater hose, oil tube and pictured in front of the thermostat housing. It fell over sideways. Upon further inspection, it looks like it was JB Welded into place after having suffered a much harder blow previously in its life (not by me though).

Can someone please help me identify this part pictured above and, if you know, tell me if its imperative to operation? I mean, I'll replace it but, given that its got that unused connector on the top, I'm guessing its not connected to anything that it might could be.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 05:20 PM

I believe it to the Distributor Vacuum Switch and leads me to the second question- how imperative is it? Looks like mine was disconnected anyway
Old June 2nd, 2019, 05:29 PM

Looks like it is supposed to have an electrical connector on it. Is the rest of the engine compartment / emissions equipment all stock or modified. If it is disconnected and has been running fine you can probably leave it that way.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by BillK
Looks like it is supposed to have an electrical connector on it. Is the rest of the engine compartment / emissions equipment all stock or modified. If it is disconnected and has been running fine you can probably leave it that way.
The rest of the engine compartment emissions stuff seems to have been disconnected or otherwise modified (as not in use per se). The car doesn't seem to run odd despite me tinkering with it today!

Thanks Bill