Engine Build: 434ci SBO 350 built by Mark R.

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2019, 01:07 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

He better have the VE too, somebody will be asking for it......
Old March 23rd, 2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Who cares about him.
The intake and head would be the first choke areas, then the camshaft.
I’ve said this many times, if you look at the runner and plenum size on the RPM they aren’t that big. I’ve argued for years to use that intake over the regular Performer even for mild builds.
I have another Stroker I’ll be doing over the summer.
It’ll have better heads, more cam and a Victor. That will be the tell all.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 23rd, 2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 06:36 PM
Hookers under Hood

We can all throw a quarter in so Vortec... can afford to buy himself a good "ol' school" Texas Instruments calculator since his operating system here just isn't up to the task.
We should send him one with batteries thou, cuz solar power may not operate in his dark room.

[QUOTE=cutlassefi;1162207]

Who cares about him.

Put-er-ther !!
We certainly don't care!
Let him ask all the questions he wants, nobody cares to answer his posts, nor do we need to read any answers to his posts going forward.

Last edited by 76olds; March 23rd, 2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

Who cares about him.
I’ve said this many times, if you look at the runner and plenum size on the RPM they aren’t that big. I’ve argued for years to use that intake over the regular Performer even for mild builds.

Makes sense, thanks!
Old March 23rd, 2019, 07:13 PM

Who cares about him.

"But I'll give in a bit, the next one I do I'll try to provide VE numbers" CutlassEFI

Lets see them, all the data, thanks.
Old March 24th, 2019, 01:08 AM
Hookers under Hood

Vortec... I have heard...
Internal/external itching can really become bothersome EH.
Lord Tunderin'... could it be your PH levels getting high again? Being in the dark for long periods can really attribute to these conditions. I think I read where, Canesten can help get rid of an itch, maybe even an imbalance? but please... Just in case I missed something, prime the area and read the label before your next pull.
Old March 24th, 2019, 01:58 AM

Not taking anything from cutlassefi, but has it really been so long since cutlassefi himself was questioning coolant temps that other guys supposedly used on their dynopulls since they werent showing them?

This bash-fest is just plain stupid, for sure there is space for other ways to build too and not single truth.

To put it other way, questioning things is only good in my opinion. Btw, nice engine.

Last edited by Inline; March 24th, 2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old March 24th, 2019, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
Not taking anything from cutlassefi, but has it really been so long since cutlassefi himself was questioning coolant temps that other guys supposedly used on their dynopulls since they werent showing them?
YES because I had already seen one sheet that showed the temps. I knew they were running them cold. One builder said it was to keep the oil temps in check. That’s bs, we have a fan down in the dyno cart that helps control that. A simple fix.

This bash-fest is just plain stupid, for sure there is space for other ways to build too and not single truth.

To put it other way, questioning things is only good in my opinion. Btw, nice engine.
VP I asked the dyno owner and the VE channel is not setup on his 902, but you can call Superflow and they will tell you how to calculate it from the info given. I will post fuel flow and bsfc numbers as well as the weather correction. If you can’t get what you want from that then you need to go back to school. It’s all simple math.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 24th, 2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old March 24th, 2019, 05:58 AM

VP I asked the dyno owner and the VE channel is not setup on his 902, but you can call Superflow and they will tell you how to calculate it from the info given. I will post fuel flow and bsfc numbers as well as the weather correction. If you can’t get what you want from that then you need to go back to school. It’s all simple math.

Put up what data you can, especially the fuel flow, in fact since you have the fuel flow and BSFC channel available, lets see that data for the last small block as well (427). Thanks I would also mention the VE channel is always setup on a Super Flow 902, but you have to measure air flow to get the VE, for some reason the dyno operator or yourself don't want tp measure the air going through the engine.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; March 24th, 2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old March 24th, 2019, 08:49 AM

I had a feeling my thread would end up like this
Old March 24th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Vortecpro and cutlessefi please take the drama to another thread or off site. BTW nice engine Mark.
Old March 24th, 2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Vortecpro and cutlessefi please take the drama to another thread or off site. BTW nice engine Mark.
Thank you.
I’ll be posting the info I mentioned then that’ll be the end for me.
Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by 72GoldOlds350
I had a feeling my thread would end up like this
Yes, It shouldn't happen in every engine build thread such as this . This is not a "DRAG RACING" thread for 1.
Plus, Classic Olds isn't a racing site either, we have a section on this to post in if this would be more a strip/competition build.
Its funny, I find guys that come on wanting to see all this data are the ones that have screwed people over themselves. Those type of guys, have nothing better to do and simply cannot do better but to splash some words and numbers around to make people feel he (Vortecpro) is full of honesty and genuinely cares about us members.
Nope, the trust in you VT is never going to happen here man!
Mark provides all of us here with sound advice and continuous support for our Olds engines.!
Taking this further, Mark, doesn't have to supply any Dyno information with his builds, Most shops don't . He offers this service to provide us with the added information he knows we like to see.
Does he have to offer this?? NO
He takes the time to do this for us street guys because he wants us to be happy with his builds along with his awesome customer service skills.
Try to find another Olds builder that can offer this much guidance and documentation to their customers at his prices.
Most engine shops that build street/strip engines don't even run them in...customers do the breakin' after install, forget asking for a Dyno report, its just a street/strip engine.
Vortec... to come in here and muck up everyone's engine build threads are not necessary, nor welcomed.
Find something else to do with your time man!
Jus' sayin!

Eric

Last edited by 76olds; March 24th, 2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old March 24th, 2019, 03:02 PM

Eric,

Thank you very very much!
I'm attaching the sheets requested, except the VE. As mentioned it was not taken.
For all - to rely on VE is foolish, it's a small part of the whole equation. Let me explain.
Take two identical engines, same displacement, same identical flow throughout. However 1 has less frictional losses because of a better piston, ring pack etc. That engine, thru all software programs will show a better VE because it made more power, even though the airflow, or VE, is exactly the same for both. Why? Because a dyno and other software programs use a set frictional factor or loss and have no variable for friction, other than to alter the displacement.
VP - you have to enter the bore and stroke when you dyno right? You can cheat if you enter a different displacement because the program is based on frictional losses right? But if you better those losses it has no idea what you did does it? That's one reason why VE is a small part of the whole equation. You can influence that one way or another without changing the actual VE at all.
VP let's make sure everyone here knows that your level of "Dyno Expertise" is questionable at best. You got your butt handed to you in the first few pages on ROP when you posted that you couldn't figure out my dyno sheet. Many said it made total sense. And you didn't even know that hp was nothing more than a mathematical equation based off torque vs 5252 rpm did you. And you're going to question me? WOW.
This will be my last post on this subject, and I'm only doing it so others can grasp the entirety of what's on these sheets. VP, you have no clue.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s...d.php?t=189127
P.S. Kris has dynoed almost 200 engines at Matt Scranton Racing over the last 8 years. I know him personally and he doesn't care about the VE either. Never once has he asked Matt to show it. I think he’s done pretty well without it wouldn’t you say?

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 25th, 2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:21 AM

All I have to say is thank you Mark for the great communication and build. I'm excited to get the engine soon in a week or two, and I will post updates once the engine (and more) are installed!
Old April 23rd, 2019, 07:13 PM

Final numbers were 528/572 corrected.
Funny how some got real quiet once the "proof" was posted.
Enjoy gentlemen.

Last edited by cutlassefi; April 23rd, 2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:20 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Awesome, that SB is going to break some ***** good thing the rest of the drive train is being upgraded.
Old April 24th, 2019, 05:10 PM

Final numbers were 528/572 corrected.
Funny how some got real quiet once the "proof" was posted.
Enjoy gentlemen.
I'am not quiet at all, the first customer of yours that takes one of those engines to a drag strip will understand exactly what I've been saying all along. Anyone who thinks that 434 made 572 TQ I believe is being misled. Carry on-

Example:

Olds 470 Stocker 10.84 @ 3700 pounds (verified) 508 dyno HP, 575 TQ
1.08 HP per inch
1.22 TQ per inch

Cutlass EFI 434 unknown perforformance
1.21 HP per inch unverified
1.31 TQ per inch unverified

Common sense says you have to question the 434 dyno data. Simply your customer can prove your point by going to a drag strip and running 122 MPH over 1320 feet.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; April 24th, 2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:55 PM

What is wrong with your head Dood? I was under the impression that a dynomometer, AKA, a dyno, was a calibrated tool that verified the horsepower and torque output of an engine. Why would common sense require a person to question the results of the tool that is designed and built to gauge the results of an engine's power performance? That is like buying a quality torque wrench , questioning the results, and tightening your main cap bolts by hand because it feels right. Trying to verify engine power at a track is subject to atmospheric changes, vehicle/traction variables, and possibly broken parts. Dyno results are hard data that can be broken down and corrected for temperature, altitude, or any number of other variables but the actual engine output is stone cold hard data. Track data is subject to vehicle and human error.

Last edited by cjsdad; April 24th, 2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old April 25th, 2019, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
What is wrong with your head Dood? I was under the impression that a dynomometer, AKA, a dyno, was a calibrated tool that verified the horsepower and torque output of an engine. Why would common sense require a person to question the results of the tool that is designed and built to gauge the results of an engine's power performance? That is like buying a quality torque wrench , questioning the results, and tightening your main cap bolts by hand because it feels right. Trying to verify engine power at a track is subject to atmospheric changes, vehicle/traction variables, and possibly broken parts. Dyno results are hard data that can be broken down and corrected for temperature, altitude, or any number of other variables but the actual engine output is stone cold hard data. Track data is subject to vehicle and human error.
And with zero atmospheric data supplied, and zero calibration data supplied I question the outrageous TQ numbers. You have no idea where those numbers come from. Track testing will give a good indication of HP, conditions can be corrected. Bottom line, the dyno is out of calibration, and the people that use that dyno have no desire to fix the problem.
Old April 25th, 2019, 07:55 AM

One thing I learned a long, long time ago. You don't race Dyno's and Flow benches!

Take that from experience and for what It's worth... The truth!

Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises
Old April 25th, 2019, 08:16 AM

Awesome, that SB is going to break some ***** good thing the rest of the drive train is being upgraded.
Agreed! Haha.

9in is already installed, with some major suspension and frame upgrades.

A TH400 is being built when the new engine gets installed, along with new driveshaft, etc.
Old April 25th, 2019, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
And with zero atmospheric data supplied, and zero calibration data supplied I question the outrageous TQ numbers. You have no idea where those numbers come from. Track testing will give a good indication of HP, conditions can be corrected. Bottom line, the dyno is out of calibration, and the people that use that dyno have no desire to fix the problem.
You’re right, I pulled them out of my behind😎.
Let’s put all this in perspective.
You have a problem with the tq number but not the hp. That makes sense, because you’re the same “dyno expert” that didn’t know that hp was nothing more than a
mathematical equation derived from tq. Hmmm
Secondly you contend that two vehicles, say one a ‘72 Corvette, the other a ‘72 Cutlass would achieve the same trap speeds with identical drivetrains, drivers etc, no matter what, even though the Cutlass has the aerodynamics of a brick, interesting.
I’m with Bernard, you don’t race Dynos etc. But if you’re in doubt of these numbers, fine. Build the exact same engine and see what you get. Then put it in the previously mentioned Corvette and Cutlass and let us know what you find.
Old April 25th, 2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bernard Mondello
One thing I learned a long, long time ago. You don't race Dyno's and Flow benches!

Bernard

"You don't race Dyno's and Flow benches!"

When has any Mondello went fast at a drag strip? Let me clarify that statement, what exactly I'am talking about is 1. NA NHRA class racing 2. NA heads up drag racing, I've never seen it, but please correct me if I'am wrong. Flow bench development far out ways any tool in my shop as far as HP production goes in my opinion. When my engines come off the dyno and are run in my car, dyno HP is always shown, in other words I know pretty close what the car will run from dyno testing data. My back to back dyno testing with Super Flow calibrating both dyno's, we tested a 505 on my dyno,then packed it up and shipped the 505 to Westec, the power difference was 1 HP between the two dynos on a 670 HP engine. When Super Flow dyno's are calibrated they are extremely close when comparing data. I build the same exact engines over and over, development time spent on the flow bench refining ALWAYS delivers the best HP every time.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...h-today-9.html

Last edited by VORTECPRO; April 25th, 2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old April 25th, 2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bernard Mondello

This is often attributed to Abraham Lincoln, perhaps you have heard of him. Maybe, maybe not, but it still holds the same wisdom.

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest!"

If you can't believe the truth, if you can't believe the factual numbers as they have been presented, what is left?
Old April 25th, 2019, 11:22 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Unfortunately the dynos are not really the truth. What they car puts on the board at the track is the real deal. People wanna brag the dyno numbers but the reality is a well set up 350 HP engine can smear a 450 HP engine at the track if that 450hp engine is not in a chassie set up to use it efficiently. Set up, tuning and a slew of variables are at play so you ultimately have to take the dyno numbers with a grain of salt. Unless you plan to exploit the HP made on the dyno to its fullest in the chassis then it's not much to boast about. HP numbers to the average guy are just something a salesman uses. I see lots of dyno sheets posted with no E\T to back it up along the way. Just my 2 cents. That's not to say track numbers are also the end All be all. Tail winds can skew things up along with driver skill.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 25th, 2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old April 26th, 2019, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Unfortunately the dynos are not really the truth. What they car puts on the board at the track is the real deal. People wanna brag the dyno numbers but the reality is a well set up 350 HP engine can smear a 450 HP engine at the track if that 450hp engine is not in a chassie set up to use it efficiently. Set up, tuning and a slew of variables are at play so you ultimately have to take the dyno numbers with a grain of salt. Unless you plan to exploit the HP made on the dyno to its fullest in the chassis then it's not much to boast about. HP numbers to the average guy are just something a salesman uses. I see lots of dyno sheets posted with no E\T to back it up along the way. Just my 2 cents. That's not to say track numbers are also the end All be all. Tail winds can skew things up along with driver skill.
I agree to some degree. Most dyno testing corrects to a 29.92 barometer, 60 degrees dry air, as does Cutlass EFI's testing, then theres measured or in the room observed HP before the raw number is corrected. Don't fool your self I always show corrected dyno HP if I can get into some 600 feet or less DA, now when it comes to measured or raw uncorrected HP I always show more HP at the track than the uncorrected number and it doesn't matter how the car or chassis is set up.

Example: Vortecpro shop truck, 1979 1/2 ton longbed, 3.07 gear, 4240 pounds.
327 Cu in 445 corrected HP, 329 observed HP uncorrected, 6400 feet elevation.
Performance: 13.90 @ 99.87 @ 8000 feet DA 24.96 barometer.

If you run the numbers you can see this truck with 0 chassis work no gearing shows observed dyno HP with no problem. So lets take a look again at this 434 build, any way you want to look at this 434 should easily show MPH that lines up with the observed, measured or in the room dyno HP.

434 - 493 measured or observed or in the room HP means: 120 MPH @ 3700 pounds. At the VERY LEAST it should do that.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; April 26th, 2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old April 26th, 2019, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
That is my point Copper. I have never been on a track so the 500 hp engine going in my Hooptie will never be "verified" in such a way. An inexperienced driver, a poorly set up vehicle, an oily track, or any number of other variables can totally screw track numbers. 500 hp doesn't mean you can win on race day, it means you have 500 hp! Period! Abe's indisputable Truth! What you do with it is of no consequence to the truth, it simply exists. And the torque must of course come along with it depending on where the hp curve shows up.
Old April 28th, 2019, 09:35 AM

Well, to get back to the point...

Mark said the engine should ship out this coming week, and I'm hoping it does! It's literally going from one corner of the USA to the other, so we shall see when it arrives. I'll keep everyone posted!
Old September 5th, 2019, 05:24 PM

Side note: I just ordered ARH Headers for this engine, to go into my 72 Cutlass. I am aware I'll need a mini-starter for fitment.

Is this the correct starter for a SBO 350 in a 72 Cutlass?

https://www.sriperformance.com/power...p/pwm-9510.htm
Old September 5th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Full-time Taxpayer

Originally Posted by 72GoldOlds350
Side note: I just ordered ARH Headers for this engine, to go into my 72 Cutlass. I am aware I'll need a mini-starter for fitment.

Is this the correct starter for a SBO 350 in a 72 Cutlass?

https://www.sriperformance.com/power...p/pwm-9510.htm
Powermaster 9510 yes
Old September 6th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Qwik71442
Powermaster 9510 yes
Roger that. Thank you!
Old December 19th, 2019, 08:36 AM

UPDATE:

Lots going on for this project. It will start in January.

Installing this engine(!), new TH400 trans w/ GV Overdrive unit, new fuel system, new full exhaust system and lots of other goodies. It will take many months.

I'll keep everyone posted!
Old December 19th, 2019, 10:37 AM

Do you plan on ever hitting the track with this ?
If so please post
Old December 19th, 2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 69455
Do you plan on ever hitting the track with this ?
If so please post
I want to, absolutely.

However, it is a convertible, and I'm never going to put a roll-bar in the car. So, if I show up to a strip, I'm going to have to pretend it's slow and make one pass before getting kicked out. LOL
Old December 19th, 2019, 07:55 PM

Try making a slow run and keep going faster. Whats the time break that requires a roll bar ?
Old December 20th, 2019, 05:32 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

11.50's requires a 6 point roll bar. Not sure if that's the same case for a vert but most tracks tend to be leniant with street cars.

Last edited by coppercutlass; December 20th, 2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old December 20th, 2019, 07:25 AM

Old December 20th, 2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Try making a slow run and keep going faster. Whats the time break that requires a roll bar ?
For the strip close to my house, any convertible faster than 14secs requires a roll-bar! lol.
Old December 20th, 2019, 05:57 PM

What flexplate and balancer are you using? nice build and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Engine Build: 434ci SBO 350 built by Mark R.