Oldsmobile 257 engine stuck

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2018, 12:13 PM

Talking Oldsmobile 257 engine stuck

Hello all, today i plan to do the ultimate last attempt at freeing up my 1948 olds 98s original straight 8 engine. The engine is in ok shape considering its been parked since 1968 no ridges at top of cylinders and pistons tops look clean and ok except for the cylinder at the front of the engine it has some pitting. All but 3 of pistons are "free" because penatrating fluid leaks past them. so today i'm going to hone the cylinders to get rid of light surface corrosion. Then i'm going to mix 50/50 gas and ATF and catch it on fire in the cylinders
i have a jack applying constant rotational pressure to the crank via a breaker bar. Any tips/suggestions?

P.S. I have let the cylinders soak for over a year now
Old October 4th, 2018, 12:30 PM

Remove the hood and use a breaker bar on the crank with a 4 to 6 ft. cheater bar. That will break the engine free.
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Try rocking it and turn in opposite direction. Might not move if it's been soaking for a year. Could use chunk of wood on top of piston and the jolt might help free it up. Good luck.
Old October 4th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by FuturamicOldsmobile
Then i'm going to mix 50/50 gas and ATF and catch it on fire in the cylinders
I
Good luck with this ! Please call the Fire Dept , BEFORE you set this off .
Seriously , this sounds like a very dangerous stunt to do . An aceytelene torch maybe , An open fire no .
If there is rust pitting on the cylinder walls , the engine will need to be overhauled . Including boring the block and installing new pistons .
Nothing else is going to work .
The best idea is to remove the engine and dismantle it . If you are lucky you may be able to remove the crankshaft with the stuck pistons still in place .

To remove those pistons , pound them out with a piece of 4X4 (trimmed to fit the cylinder) and sledgehammer .
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Update: just honed the cylinders i can access the walls are quite nice small ridge at top i can't catch my finger nail on going to pick up a sledge tmmrw along with a 4x4 and proceed with the process
Old October 7th, 2018, 11:19 PM

Exclamation

While heating the cylinders and chilling the pistons might help to release them, you should be careful when dealing with flammable (or is it inflammable?) mixtures. It would be a shame to burn down (or is it up?) the garage. BE CAREFUL!
Old October 8th, 2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by FuturamicOldsmobile
Update: just honed the cylinders i can access the walls are quite nice small ridge at top i can't catch my finger nail on going to pick up a sledge tmmrw along with a 4x4 and proceed with the process
I did exactly this with a 1955 Plymouth six cyl., as one similar example. DIdn't take much pounding to get it free. Didn't take any honing or other goofing but I did flood the cyls with whatever I had, probably WD-40 and oil. One of these is the answer for rusty iron without introducing any stone grit or steel wires flying around, used with any modern battery drill. Good luck ~

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dico+orange+brush&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa =X&ved=0ahUKEwipx5bLrvfdAhXug-AKHYMpCToQ_AUIDygC&biw=1366&bih=626#imgrc=_

Last edited by coldwar; October 8th, 2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: thought