Linkage and carb question

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Linkage and carb question

Alright so after figuring out that my throttle linkage was way off causing my passing gear not to
activate, the car is running better but still not perfect. My question is how do i properly adjust the throttle and kickdown cable? The kickdown is at full tension at open throttle now.Here is the setup of the throttle cable and kickdown cable going to a 200r4 and the engine is a 350 in a Oldsmobile cutlass s. The car was running perfect before the carb was pulled off and I’m thinking things weren’t put back together correctly because it felt like a whole different car befythe carb was messed with. The car had been sitting for a few years and does smell like its running rich and is blowing white smoke at high idle. Also can anyone help me identify this carb? I’d like to know how to adjust the idle and the two screws in the front of the carb, This is my first Oldsmobile and the oldest car I’ve owned since my 87 Chevy pickup with tbi.

Last edited by Frankied37; September 4th, 2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old September 4th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Being an Eldelbrock carb is the first issue, the tune is probably way off and they have issues. You need the proper TV valve(kick down) cable bracket for the correct pull rate and make sure you are getting full throttle as well, pushing the pedal.
Old September 4th, 2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Being an Eldelbrock carb is the first issue, the tune is probably way off and they have issues. You need the proper TV valve(kick down) cable bracket for the correct pull rate and make sure you are getting full throttle as well, pushing the pedal.
1. I checked the throttle with the pedal down thru the windshield and it looked like it went full throttleand I did find a second cable on the engine side of the firewall attached to the pedal and this isn’t hooked up to anything and seems to be broken, I found it in the corner and looked like it’s been there a while so not sure if this was hooked up anytime soon and if it’s needed or not.

2. How would I know if I have the correct bracket for the linkage?

3. Is there any information out there on how to tune my specific carb?
Old September 4th, 2018, 07:55 PM
72 Olds CS

1.The 200r4 needs the TV cable correctly adjusted or it will wreck the trans.

2. the throttle cable bracket looks like a homemade unit and the TV cable bracket set up needs to work w the trans

3.if you goto edlebrocks site you can download the manual for your carb
Old September 5th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Start by throwing away that POS cable bracket. What a turd. Get the bracket from a 1980s Olds 307 that bolts to the rear two carb bolts. That bracket will accommodate both the throttle and TV cable and will actually align them with the throttle arm instead of the angle pull you have now.
Old September 5th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Start by throwing away that POS cable bracket. What a turd. Get the bracket from a 1980s Olds 307 that bolts to the rear two carb bolts. That bracket will accommodate both the throttle and TV cable and will actually align them with the throttle arm instead of the angle pull you have now.
😂 that will be the first thing I don when I get home today, the more I work on this car the more I can tell the last owner just cob jobbed everything together.

Anyone on here know where I can find that bracket off a 80s 307 and my tv cable is frayed at the carb so I’ll want to replace that as well, anyone have recommendations?

Last edited by Frankied37; September 5th, 2018 at 09:37 AM.