General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hard accelerator pedal

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2019, 03:34 AM

Hard accelerator pedal

My accelerator pedal is very hard to push down anyone else had/has this problem? If so what did you do to solve the problem? 72 cutlass.
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:16 AM

Make sure the accelerator cable isn't binding between the carb and pedal. If the cable isn't kinked then make sure the carburetor throttle moves freely. You might just have a throttle return spring that's too big on the carb.
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Most likely cause is the throttle cable going bad. Disconnect the cable at the carb. If it is still hard to move, get a new cable. This can cause your throttle to stick open.
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Are there extra springs attached to the throttle linkage?
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Are there extra springs attached to the throttle linkage?
No it’s not.
Old May 1st, 2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by kbdecatur
accelerator pedal is very hard to push down. what did you do to solve the problem?
I took out the tennis ball that was stuck underneath.
Old May 1st, 2019, 03:01 PM

Qjet? Accelerator pump problem.
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Disconnect the throttle cable from the carb and see if its the carb or the cable.
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:30 PM

Disconnect the throttle cable from the carb and see if its the carb or the cable.
just figured it out it has two springs on it for whatever reason and I unhooked one of them and it works just fine.
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:39 PM

Hard accelerator pedal

Figured it out thanks guys.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by kbdecatur
just figured it out it has two springs on it for whatever reason and I unhooked one of them and it works just fine.
Federal law demands double throttle return springs. Unless your springs are unusually stiff, that's not the problem.

Frayed throttle cable, or seizing throttle-body bushings would be the most likely, but any worn or dry pivot point in the linkage could be part of the stiffness. As said, sometimes a swollen or "flipped" accelerator pump cup can bind in the pump bore.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Federal law demands double throttle return springs. Unless your springs are unusually stiff, that's not the problem...
Really, do you happen to have a link?
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:33 PM

Really, do you happen to have a link?
Nope. Read about it years and years ago. I'm sure it's a safety regulation--having a redundant spring in case one would fatigue and break.

But it's no coincidence that if you search for "throttle spring" on the Summit site, virtually every product is a dual-spring system.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...ottle%20spring
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:48 PM
Administrator

There are still other single spring kits out there. I've never heard of a federal law, these cars did not come with dual springs or extra springs for that matter.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 08:07 PM

There are still other single spring kits out there. I've never heard of a federal law, these cars did not come with dual springs or extra springs for that matter.
Here we go. Motor Vehicle Safety Standard #124. Here's a link to a proposed update of the standard.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ontrol-systems

The purpose of Standard No. 124, Accelerator Control Systems, 49 CFR 571.124, is to reduce deaths and injuries resulting from failures of a vehicle's accelerator control system. Since 1972, Standard No. 124 has specified requirements for ensuring the return of a vehicle's throttle to the idle position...
Standard No. 124 at S5.1 requires that each vehicle have “at least two sources of energy,” each independently capable of returning the throttle to the idle position, within the time specified in paragraph S5.3, from any accelerator position or speed whenever the driver removes the actuating force. The Standard defines the throttle as “the component of the fuel metering device that connects to the driver-operated accelerator control system and that by input from the driver-operated accelerator control system controls engine speed.”
The two energy sources were simply two return springs acting on the linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. If at least one of those springs ... were connected directly to the carburetor or to the diesel fuel injection rack, it would cause the throttle to return to idle in the event of a disconnection of the pedal linkage. If the disconnection occurred at one of the springs, the other would permit continued driver control.
The standard is being updated due to modern vehicles not necessary having a mechanical throttle needing "springs" to return to an idle position. For example, an electric vehicle wouldn't have a throttle at all. Many large vehicles use a compressed-air powered throttle system. Anyway, "two sources of energy" would refer to two throttle springs in a throttle system like our cars have.

Given that the original poster is discussing a 1972 vehicle, his car is required to have two springs.

Last edited by Schurkey; May 2nd, 2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:05 AM
Administrator

What does this have to do with the OP's 1972 vehicle?
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:28 AM

Wink Hard accelerator w

Well I’m not violating any federal law. Both of them are still there..
Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:42 AM

It's all pretty funny 'til the "Spring Squad" shows up at your door!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:41 PM

What does this have to do with the OP's 1972 vehicle?
It's all there in posts 1 and 9, although there's some good advice in between, and after those posts.

The OP thinks he's solved a problem by removing a second throttle return spring, and he hasn't. He's just covered-up the symptoms of some other problem.

The car is SUPPOSED to have two springs, Two springs doesn't make the throttle stiff. They ALL had two springs by law starting in '72. So, aside from assuring that he's got the proper two springs, he needs to be looking somewhere else for the source of the throttle-motion problem.

As I've said before--any pivot in the linkage, a frayed throttle cable, worn throttle body bushing or throttle shaft, and, I suppose, stiff, hardened grease in a TH400 kickdown switch could be potential causes. Some are more-likely than others.

Thanks for being obstinate and making me look up the Federal regulation. Until I saw the regulation, I thought the dual-springs were required in '68, perhaps before.

Last edited by Schurkey; May 3rd, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
assuring that he's got the proper two springs
That was my thought. Some replacement springs are stiffer than the originals and it gets worse when two of them are used.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:18 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by mrolds69
It's all pretty funny 'til the "Spring Squad" shows up at your door!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:58 PM

I second the frayed cable. Before I got my first Cutlass at 16, I drove the fambly Ford station wagon. Once I took it to the grocery store, about 3 miles and six controlled intersections away. Before I got to the store I realized the engine was running FAST and I was not on the accelerator. I tapped the pedal a couple times, thinking "the choke is stuck, and I'll bump it loose." You guessed it, the engine revved higher. Being the mostly dumb 16 YO driver, I drove the thing back home where I told my dad about it. This was in fall of '78 - no cell phones. Dad came out to check it out and we found the accelerator cable massively frayed where it went through the firewall. The grommet was still serviceable and doing it's job.