Head Gasket 67 330

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2018, 12:05 PM

Head Gasket 67 330

Took my car for a ride last night for the first time since October. Only went about 2 miles just wanted to make sure there were no issues, weather is going to be nice this weekend. Was a little hard to get started but ran well with no issues. When I got home and parked in garage I heard a hissing noise and it looks like coolant is coming out by the #1 cylinder. Unfortunately I do not have the funds for a rebuild so is just changing the head gasket going to be a problem? The motor has less then 80k and as far as I know has never had any major work done. I am thinking about replacing the intake with the Eldelbrok Performer RPM 7111. I know there really will be no performance upgrade but looking more to be rid of EGR port, I use a spacer due to it being in the way for linkage. Anyone have part # for the correct gaskets I will need. Thanks
Old April 12th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Administrator

If the valves look good, I would change the valve guide seals at the same time, very easy. The other issue is the thickness of the new head gaskets vs the old ones, your compression will drop a bit. Just make sure both surfaces are clean.
Old April 12th, 2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by nj67
I am thinking about replacing the intake with the Eldelbrok Performer RPM 7111. I know there really will be no performance upgrade but looking more to be rid of EGR port, I use a spacer due to it being in the way for linkage.
What intake do you have with an EGR port?
The 7111 RPM intake is a high rise performance oriented manifold. The 2711 is the regular Performer without EGR.
Old April 12th, 2018, 03:15 PM

Yes you can do the head gasket, no problem without going a lot farther. Do a compression test first to see if there are leaky valves while you have the head off. Might as well do both sides while you are at it. Change the valve seals.

How old is the timing chain?

Start soaking those bolts!!! Good luck!!!
Old April 12th, 2018, 06:37 PM

No problem just doing head gaskets. Just make sure to have the heads checked and resurfaced if needed. ( I am required to say that because I own a machine shop )

I would not go with the Performer RPM if the engine is stock. Just stick with the regular performer. They make it both with and without egr. 2711 /wo egr.

Seals would be a good idea with that many miles. They are cheap. Actually if you buy a head gasket set they will be included. Stick with a good name brand gasket. FelPro or Victor.

Where are you located ?
Old April 13th, 2018, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
No problem just doing head gaskets. Just make sure to have the heads checked and resurfaced if needed. ( I am required to say that because I own a machine shop )

I would not go with the Performer RPM if the engine is stock. Just stick with the regular performer. They make it both with and without egr. 2711 /wo egr.

Seals would be a good idea with that many miles. They are cheap. Actually if you buy a head gasket set they will be included. Stick with a good name brand gasket. FelPro or Victor.

Where are you located ?
Thanks for all the information guys. I am in NJ, this will be my first but have service manual and of course the endless knowledge here.
Old April 13th, 2018, 11:42 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

A cheap trick if you cant see any warping - and it may well be fine - and you want to do a bit more than just clean the surfaces:, Put a little valve grinding paste on the block surface and lap the heads a little.
It makes sure you have properly cleaned the surfaces, and might show up a tiny warp you couldn't see.

I learned this from being stuck in the boonies with no money and no machine shops around. It works!.

Roger.
Old April 13th, 2018, 08:09 PM

Here is the thread of my 67 head gasket replacement. You will be given LOTS of advice from now on including how you must totally rebuild your engine simply because your head gaskets failed. You will be told your heads are warped whether or not the engine has ever overheated. There are a lot of experts on this site that can give you good advice and there are some internet cowboys that will spew unnecessary "must do's" at you.

Do what is needed to get your engine running again and beware of the MAW's. Some are justified and some may be necessary. Check everything to make sure you do what is necessary before you move on to the upgrades.
Replacing valve guide seals is a good idea and not much extra effort since you will have the heads off. Replacing your timing chain and gears is also a good idea and may even be necessary at this time of your engine's life.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lots-pics.html
Old April 14th, 2018, 05:47 AM
Administrator

The other thing I would do since the top end is coming off, pull all the lifters and inspect the bottoms and the cam lobes for wear.