Wondering if I should get a Heady Duty Core Support or a regular one. 71 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:59 AM

Wondering if I should get a Heady Duty Core Support or a regular one. 71 Cutlass S

Hello,

I am piecing together parts for my 71 Cutlass. Right now I'm looking for the Core support. I have located HD and non HD ones. I would like to get teh HD one then buy a 4 row radiator to get teh extra cooling but I am not sure if that is all there is to it. Currently I have an A/C Cutlass S Hardtop with a 2 row radiator. If I get the HD Core Support would I have to buy a new fan shroud, radiator top plate, and 4 core radiator?

Or should I just keep my two row radiator and buy a non HD Core Support? I currently have a 350 in there but eventually would like to go with a 455
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:13 AM

........ what? Not sure what you mean by "HD"..... The only possible difference is whether the core support has the narrow (2 or 3 core) or wide (4 core) radiator saddles welded to it. That doesn't particularly matter - the narrow ones can just be opened up to accept the larger rad, and the larger ones can be padded to hold the smaller rad.
Top plate needs to match (or be modified to match) the radiator. It's only the saddles that are different.
Shroud/fan/clutch/water pump depend on the cooling setup. You can mix and match with what you have as long as the fan is located correctly in the shroud. There's plenty of room between the fan and the radiator and the shroud and the radiator to move up to the 4 row. I've done it several times. The tabs for the shroud will probably need to be moved around a little and might need longer bolts for the top of the shroud.

'71/'72 core supports are not reproduced. You have to find a good old one, or repair one.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you are planning to install a 455, the two row radiator will not be adequate. A three row fits the "non-HD" core support brackets (FYI, that's the first time I've ever heard them referred to as "HD core support"), but that may still be marginal for a built 455 or A/C. Of course, if you plan to go with an aluminum radiator, it may fit the smaller radiator brackets, so you need to figure this out now. Also keep in mind that you will need a top plate that matches the rackets on the core support. Finally, you can buy just the brackets for the radiator and swap them out at a later date. They are spot welded in place, however.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:08 PM

Now I thought the brackets were all the same and the rubber mounts where different depending on what size radiator you have??
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by friesjh
Now I thought the brackets were all the same and the rubber mounts where different depending on what size radiator you have??
Nope. The two and three row radiators use the same width end tanks, so the brackets and isolators for those are the same. The four row radiators use wider tanks and have correspondingly different brackets and isolators.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:28 PM

But those early Toro lower rad brackets bolted in.