This will be my olds 350 setup

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Warhead
Remember, more compression = more power.
As AHNOLD says, do not be afraid to pump it up.
Can you get 11:1???
Ya.
To get 11 to 1 with a 4.057 bore and 3.385 stroke with flat tops and .040 piston to head hew will need a head chamber of 62 cc, that is a fair amount of milling off of the RR heads.
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by captjim
To get 11 to 1 with a 4.057 bore and 3.385 stroke with flat tops and .040 piston to head hew will need a head chamber of 62 cc, that is a fair amount of milling off of the RR heads.

oh but can it be done. I dont know i will have to talk to John from RR he said the heads can be milled down to 10.5 to 1 so we will see. I mean for 65 dollars its worth every penny to get them milled down to the desired compression.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM

ok well i got on the phone with RR again for more advice and this is what we came up with.

My std bore olds 350 with the 60805lk cam kit from lunati. Im gonna run the 1.7 rockers this will bring the exh lift to .585 instead of the .555 how i dont know how he explained it. But going to get the heads .085 taken of so the heads will be 57cc and 11.95 to 1 compression. Going to run 28 in tires and 3.90 gears instead of the 3.73. i like this setup. Tell me what you guys think.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
78cutlass

I think your motor combo has quickly become a STRIP ONLY build-up..
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 78cutlass
I think your motor combo has quickly become a STRIP ONLY build-up..

They said that i should be able to drive it on the street no problem. The reason for the higher compressions is because the track here is at 3275 elevation i think i know its right around there. So the tech guys at RR said to make up for the elevation you need to get a higher compression ratio. The only thing i havnt rigured out yet is the 1.7 rockers i havnt been able to find them on the net for an olds 350 but they said they have harland sharp 1.7 rockers there.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM

(A Nice street machine that i can drive to car shows and when i get ON it, it will fricken move and move fast ) First let me say, yes, Rocket Racing are good guys and they have some great running Oldsmobiles. I see them at the Miller meets. Now here is where I'll be getting FLAMED. For what you originally intended to use your car for you don't need to spend all that money. RR heads and intake is way "overkill." Keep it a pump gas engine so you can drive it and enjoy it. Get a set of 5-6-7 heads (a guy was selling a fresh set 5's with new valve springs and even the exhaust divider in or $350 at the miller meet.) Does one need a 7 qt pan and a hi-vol pump on a SBO "street/car show driver? IMO, no. they don't have oiling issues with a stock pump. One of the most fun and cheapest Olds engine I ever had was a ball-honed-low comp 350 with small-valved heads .496/.512 cam, in a G-body Regal with 3:73 gears. Drove it to the track and it ran 13:68. Beat the snot and the short block is still in one of my buildings. Fun car and CHEAP. Seeing how your not going for a "national" recorded holder I don't want to see u spend a lot of money unnecessarily. A real 13 second car on the street is a fast car. So in closing, my opinion is to not overkill, go cheaper keep it a pump gas engine so u can enjoy it more. OK, I'm ready to take my beating! Ken
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
(A Nice street machine that i can drive to car shows and when i get ON it, it will fricken move and move fast ) First let me say, yes, Rocket Racing are good guys and they have some great running Oldsmobiles. I see them at the Miller meets. Now here is where I'll be getting FLAMED. For what you originally intended to use your car for you don't need to spend all that money. RR heads and intake is way "overkill." Keep it a pump gas engine so you can drive it and enjoy it. Get a set of 5-6-7 heads (a guy was selling a fresh set 5's with new valve springs and even the exhaust divider in or $350 at the miller meet.) Does one need a 7 qt pan and a hi-vol pump on a SBO "street/car show driver? IMO, no. they don't have oiling issues with a stock pump. One of the most fun and cheapest Olds engine I ever had was a ball-honed-low comp 350 with small-valved heads .496/.512 cam, in a G-body Regal with 3:73 gears. Drove it to the track and it ran 13:68. Beat the snot and the short block is still in one of my buildings. Fun car and CHEAP. Seeing how your not going for a "national" recorded holder I don't want to see u spend a lot of money unnecessarily. A real 13 second car on the street is a fast car. So in closing, my opinion is to not overkill, go cheaper keep it a pump gas engine so u can enjoy it more. OK, I'm ready to take my beating! Ken

I dont see any reason you would take a beating here. With the comp ratio i will be at what is the octane gas i will be able to run in it. I know there is a place around me that has 100 octane pump gas will that be enough. I will have the extra money laying around from my deployment to afghanistan so this is why i will be able to build a nice motor like i am.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM

I just don't want to see u build an engine you won't enjoy driving (I mean how much HP do u really need for the street) or see u spending money on something that can be acomplished much cheaper. I too have overkilled a few builds myself. Good luck and hurry home, Ken
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Registered Luser

I agree with Kennybill...just because you have the extra money, doesn't mean you need to spend it....100oct fuel isn't cheap! You'll get tired of that pretty quick IMO.....
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM

I agree about the 100 octane. My 67 Olds 98 has my old race car engine in it but with a "torque cam." I mix 1 gal race gas with 7 gals hi-test, Shell. Luckily I have a switch-pitch converter on toggle switch. It's overkill for the street, I rarely drive it. My Delta is the car I really enjoy drive and it moves out pretty good. It's a lo-po 455, small cam, headers/duals/torque tube/ performer intake, about 350 HP. Nice street car and fun driver. Good luck, Ken
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM

I say build what YOU want. It's YOUR car and YOUR money.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
Ultimately, yes....but he did ask for opinions......
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM

yeah its not going to be a daily driver so i wont be burning through a tremendous amount of fuel. I am gonna build it this way. Im only gonna be driving it to car shows and the track mabye hot rod on the weekend here and there, it will be fun. Thanks guys
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1973oldsomega
A Nice street machine that i can drive to car shows and when i get ON it, it will fricken move and move fast
I thought this was your goal. I am a 59 Y/O Father who has been into Olds for decades. I can honestly say I was giving u the same advise I would give my own Son if He asked and stated that quote from above. Yes, it your money and time. I alway say, "one is lucky to get $.50 on each dollar one put into these cars and labor is free." I know, I have done it. Life situations change, u may get married/children/job etc, and decide to sell your Olds. The less u have into it the less u lose. I have done this and seen it happen many times. I knew when I first replied how this thread would go. I still commented anyhow because being a Vet/Father I wanted to see u accomplish your original goal as cheaply as possible. (like $5/6K cheaper) Good Luck "Son." Ken
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Sorry but if you are worried about making your money back. You have the wrong hobby. I have owned my car since 1981. I might get $.30 on the dollar if I ever sell it. I really don't care, I have a huge fun factor involved. I am 58, have grandkids (who I spoil) and have worked hard for my money all my life. All this means you gotta have fun. Have I ever regretted sinking money in my race car? NOPE! Because that is what I love to do. Like I said do what YOU want.
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Sorry but if you are worried about making your money back. You have the wrong hobby. I have owned my car since 1981. I might get $.30 on the dollar if I ever sell it. I really don't care, I have a huge fun factor involved. I am 58, have grandkids (who I spoil) and have worked hard for my money all my life. All this means you gotta have fun. Have I ever regretted sinking money in my race car? NOPE! Because that is what I love to do. Like I said do what YOU want.

I agree with this theory. I am not into this to build my car and sell it. I plan on having this car for a long time. I am doing all the work my self, i take pride in the work i do i am a mechanic at heart. Not only do i work on my car but i am a Helicopter mechanic for the United State Air Force. So the same attention to detail i take on the helo's i do on my car. The point i am trying to make here is that i am working on this build i am not buying a built car i totally stripped this car down to the bones and i am rebuilding it. Maybe its just me, but me doing it this way i have a better appreciation for the vehicle know how many hours of work i have done on the engine and body. So this is how i know i will have this car for many years to come. Yeah its an Omega and not many people like the body style and its not the desired, but guess how many i see at car shows when i go....zero its always the same cars over and over. So what i did i like the nova body style but the omega looks way better IMO so that is why i have an Omega not to mention its a completly rust free AZ car that i got running and drove it back to my house almost 160 miles no problems for only 1600 bucks. Yeah i want a nice street machine but bottom line is who dont want more power i mean really.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM

Ok so its been a while sinse i have been on here. And my priorities have changes a little bit sinse my last visit. So here i go i will be using everything i originally posted except the RR heads and intake combo its too expensive and i think i will like using some #5 heads and a edelbrock performer rpm intake and i will still have a nice 350 setup. Ill be going with the 1.6 rockers instead of the 1.7. So if anyone knows where i can get a set of #5 heads please let me know PLEASE lol. Well let me know what you guys think. Thanks again
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Ok so i am going with some #5 heads from Jsmachineoldsmobile the stage IV heads. Should go nice with my build...

Last edited by 1973oldsomega; December 5th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1973oldsomega
Ok here we go this is everything i will be using for my olds 350 engine. Let me know what you guys think.

-Standard bore 73 olds 350 engine.
-Speedpro flat top pistons with no valve reliefs standard size 4.057.
-melling high volume oil pump with a morosso pickup that bolts on.
-morosso 7 qt oil pan.
-Harland sharp aluminum roller rockers with a 1.6 ratio
-Comp cams double roller timing chain and gear set
-Gonna use a electric fuel pump.
-Oh yeah ive had all the machine shop work done on the engine and my rotating assy is balanced and the pistons and crank are now installed
-I dont know exactly what carb im gonna use mabye someone can help me with this issue and lead me in the right direction.
-TH350 trans with a shift kit also gonna be running a B&M holeshot torque converter 3000.
the rear end will be a 3.91 ring and pinion set up with a power trax posi rearend.

Well there you have it, let me know what you guys think. Will i have some pretty serious power with this setup or what?

Thanks...
Hi, I am putting together a similar engine and I´m wondering why do you think you need the electric fuel pump? I dont understand the need of another electric part. What is wrong with a mecanical pump? Isnt it enough fuel supply with a mecanical pump ? A´rt there any good flowing olds mecanical pumps in the market? I would like to know.

Regards
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oldwolf
Hi, I am putting together a similar engine and I´m wondering why do you think you need the electric fuel pump? I dont understand the need of another electric part. What is wrong with a mecanical pump? Isnt it enough fuel supply with a mecanical pump ? A´rt there any good flowing olds mecanical pumps in the market? I would like to know.

Regards
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=58824

The Airtex/Master 40736 is a higher volume pump. It should be good to 400 hp and high 12s in a SBO. It is physically larger, however, so clearencing of the a/c bracket will be required, but no biggie. The ultimate is the RobbMc pumps I agree completely, that electric fguel pumps are a hassle on street cars.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM

Gee, no Rocket Racings heads! I have delt with Jim at J&S Machine and he is a good guy and a fair guy. For what was your original goal I think you will be happy. Ken