Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Under floor brake pedal setup for 47 Olds

Old April 11th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Under floor brake pedal setup for 47 Olds

47 model 66 convertible with Mustang II front suspension and disc brakes but no brake pedal, MC or lines came with the car when I bought it.

I want to use an under-floor pedal-booster-MC setup and am wondering if anyone else has been through this and has advice on what/where to buy. It looks pretty tight for clearance, particularly with an 8 in. dual chamber booster.

I have seen the setups on ebay that look pretty generic and am willing to fabricate if necessary to fit them.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Jerry
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM

I looked at these as well and decided against it because of the room I decided to go with manual disc's on my 48 and with use a swinging combination set up with the both the brake and clutch master cylinders under the hood in my 48. Good luck on finding something that works for you
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM

"47 master cylinder set-up

Hi Jerry,
I haven't got to the fabrication stage on the pedal/master cyl mount yet, but I do have a plan in mind. That would be to affix the stock pedal to a shaft that will run in bushings through the frame x-member. A bellcrank on the shaft will operate the master, which will be located between the x-member and the outer frame rail. Lots of room there. I may even fab a new pedal, to get it tucked in closer at the bottom to the frame x-member, allowing more room for exaust pipe clearance.
I haven't made the progress this winter I was hoping for, but I'm pecking away at this thing when I can get time. How's your's coming along?
Doug.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM

Doug, Things going slowly. Went to New Zealand for almost a month and then came home to a scheduled remodel of part of main level of home and that has taken two weeks and still a couple to go. On top of that I'm sheparding the upholstery on my 36 Chevy which is being done out of town so, a long way of saying I haven't been able to concentrate on the Olds very much. I am trial fitting the 455 and transmission (700r4) and have ordered and received an 11 in. disc brake kit and 2" lowering spindles. I will have to get them on and then set the car back on the ground to get my ride stance and position the engine relative to the differential with respect to the U joints so I don't get excess wear or vibration before I can fabricate the engine mounts. Once the engine and trans are in I will have a better idea of the room and where to put the brake. I do wish I had a parts car or all the parts off a hydramatic car so I could visualize the proper pedal placement. Like Bush 41 I am not good at the visualizing thing.

I like your idea of setting the brake MC (and booster?) further back and using a bell crank on the shaft located in the original setting.
Jerry
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:38 AM

brake pedal etc.

Jerry,
Here's a couple of pics of the stock pedal and mount, the blank space on the shaft is where the clutch pedal lever would pivot on a stick car. I would like the brake pedal lever to tuck close to the frame in what would be the clutch pedal location, but this would require a longer brake pedal lever. The stock shaft is fixed in place of course, and will will need to be replaced with a shaft operating in bushings. I want to get the shaft, bushings and brake lever nailed down while the body is still mounted, and I will deal with the master cyl. when the body is off the frame. As you can see I am still a ways off from tackling this.
Doug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVC-021S.jpg (34.1 KB, 38 views)
MVC-022S.jpg (35.6 KB, 36 views)
MVC-023S.jpg (33.2 KB, 35 views)
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Thru floor brake setup pics

Looks like shaft is solid and pedal rotates on shaft? I can see where there could be interference and now understand why a bell crank on a shaft that revolves would be a better set up. Thanks for the pics. I am going to save them to my 47 Olds album. Send more as you make changes.
Jerry
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Ozspider

Hi 47 Convertible Jerry,
I have a 46 76 Dynamic, I am going to place a 7" dual booter and clutch master cylinder under (my seat) in frame x member, I may have to cut the floor and make a plate. Good luck.
Spider
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Hi Spider, I was looking at the chopping work and can see you are a talented guy. What a lot of planning and work to do that chop. It looks great from the pics.

I would appreciate it if you documented your brake work with pics and some description and made them available by email as you go along or when you finish it. I can be reached directly at jerome1@cni.net

I am making some progress on the 47 Convertible and have the 455 and 700R4 transmission mounted and steering column in and connected to the MII rack and pinion. I redid the spindles and put 2 inch lower on it as well as larger rotors and calipers to fit. Just now I am finishing a 36 Chevy sedan I started several years ago and so the Olds is sort of waiting before I resume. Anyway, your information on that brake install would really be appreciated even knowing you are right hand drive. I'm guessing putting it to the left for left handed U.S. drive would be no big issue. Was there some reason you went with 7" instead of 8" on the brake booster?
Jerry
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Ozspider

Hi Jerome,
I will make a drawing for you of the brake set up, the 7'' is to keep the booster in the frame as much as possible. As I said I may have to bring it in to the cab a little bit,
( under the seat ). I will post the drawing tomorrow. My clutch pedal was a USA brake pedal I got of my mate with the 2 door, I had to bend it then cut 1/2 the bush off then weld it back on the other side. I need to make parts for the floor and the trunk, so I built a E wheel/ bead roller ( not finished yet ) All my welding is gas and hammer welding. I love my OLDS.
Spider
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Ozspider

Hi Jerome,
I made a drawing to suit Auto Trans, but am having truble putting it on my lap top.
I will try again tomorrow.
Spider
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Ozspider

Under car 46 - 48 brakes

Hi Jerome,
I hope this time the drawing will come up.
It's for a 46-48 with auto.
Spider
Attached Images
Under car 46 = 48 Brakes.jpg (26.3 KB, 28 views)