Wideband AFR

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2023, 12:16 PM

Wideband AFR

Hey Guys,

I've got some questions about AFR systems. For those of you who have them, what system/brand do you have? What do you like/dislike about it? In hindsight, what recommendations would you make? I like the idea of a handheld system over a permanent gauge, but this is where I hope you guys will school me on the pro's and con's of both systems. I like the idea of having a bung that I can install a sensor in wired to a handheld device when I want to tune. Then remove it and stick everything in the toolbox when I'm done.

So all of you guys that have AFR systems, let me know your thoughts and knowledge.
Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2023, 03:03 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have a AEM wideband, it works quite well. I bought cats with O2 bungs built in. Good part, they had plugs included. I like having the gauge built in, but I am sure any gauge could be made temporary.
Old May 19th, 2023, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I have a AEM wideband, it works quite well. I bought cats with O2 bungs built in. Good part, they had plugs included. I like having the gauge built in, but I am sure any gauge could be made temporary.
I was looking at AEM. Looks pretty nice.
You've got me really curious. Why did you put cats on your car?
Old May 19th, 2023, 06:36 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I prefer the smell of exhaust through catalytic converters for one. Also this style of cats won't restrict flow hardly at all. Plus if smog laws get stupid, along with the SEFI I am adding, I would pass with flying colours. You never know.
Old May 19th, 2023, 07:04 PM

I’m kind of an in-betweener: using a late model (75-up) qjet with a wideband 02 sensor to tune it. Works well.

Can recommend Innovative Solutions DLG-1 (dual exhaust) to read how what you’re doing the carb is related to optimal AFR or Lambda.

Fun to see what the carb in does in real time from an O2 sensor perspective at startup, idle, cruise and WOT. Huge leap in my tuning outcomes, if not my abilities.

Just today for example, I caught that the car on cold-start was wildly lean (meaning maladjusted choke). The carb is new, so I’m still dialing it in. Nothing went wrong, it’s just tuning time.

Without the O2 sensor I’d never have known if it were rich or lean on startup. I just would have known it was wrong.

I might add cats one day if CA eventually requires it (a possibility), but by then maybe batteries will be good enough that I’ll have switched to electric like Neil Young…

Or not.

Cheers
cf
Old May 19th, 2023, 08:51 PM

Happy with AEM here. Have used it in my cars and tuning for other people. One of those things that once I used it, I couldn’t be without.

​​​​​​….
Old May 20th, 2023, 06:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Plus if smog laws get stupid, along with the SEFI I am adding, I would pass with flying colours.
Don't kid yourself. The spot check smog tests only verify that the OEM system is operating at one or two conditions. That's why a visual inspection is also required. The test assumes that if the car passes at the one or two test points, AND if all the factory equipment is in place, then the system will operate as intended. This is a compromise for practicality. Manufacturers are required to certify emissions under the complete range of driving conditions, which takes weeks, specialized test facilities, and hundreds of thousands of dollars. No home-brewed system is certified and won't be accepted under any emissions laws without full certification testing. This is what importers of grey market cars used to have to do. This is also why states like Calif allow you to swap in a newer engine so long as you include ALL of the factory emissions equipment in the OEM certified configuration. The GM E-Rod crate motor was also specifically EPA certified for swaps like this and comes with all that emissions equipment.
Old May 20th, 2023, 11:35 AM

I prefer the smell of exhaust through catalytic converters for one. Also this style of cats won't restrict flow hardly at all. Plus if smog laws get stupid, along with the SEFI I am adding, I would pass with flying colours. You never know.
Your comment on preferring the smell of exhaust through cats made me laugh. Lol. I love the smell of burning racing fuel.
Old May 20th, 2023, 03:23 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by 69oldsguy
Your comment on preferring the smell of exhaust through cats made me laugh. Lol. I love the smell of burning racing fuel.
Yeah I wish, regular is 158.9 per liter, 10 percent Ethanol. The 91 Premium I currently run, 1.75 per liter, no Ethanol at least. Race fuel, I don't want to know. Exhaust just clings to me, even after a short start up, even with the garage door open.
Old May 20th, 2023, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
Happy with AEM here. Have used it in my cars and tuning for other people. One of those things that once I used it, I couldn’t be without.​​….
Yeah, I'm thinking it will be the same for me. Anything that gives me more information for fine tuning things, I like.

Yeah I wish, regular is 158.9 per liter, 10 percent Ethanol. The 91 Premium I currently run, 1.75 per liter, no Ethanol at least. Race fuel, I don't want to know. Exhaust just clings to me, even after a short start up, even with the garage door open.
Oh I don't run it. I'm in the same boat as you. Pre-Covid it was about $8.50 a gallon for 110. Now it's probably $14 or more. Way too steep for this kid. And of course, my motor doesn't need it. I just like the smell of it.
Old May 20th, 2023, 07:35 PM

I have been using this on my’72, for about the last 4 years. Best of both worlds. My IPhone is the gauge, both handheld or in my phone caddy.
Old May 21st, 2023, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dave26
I have been using this on my’72, for about the last 4 years. Best of both worlds. My IPhone is the gauge, both handheld or in my phone caddy.
That looks very interesting. Unfortunately I can't get on their site. It must be down right now. Is it bluetooth?
Old May 21st, 2023, 04:43 PM

i have am autometer AFR gauge in my 63 Catalina. Originally used it to tune the holley that I was running, but now have switched over to a proflo 4 efi and have the gauge sensor on one bank and the efi sensor on the other. Gives me a quick visual to see that it's doing what it is supposed to i guess. It has worked well for the 3 years since I installed it.
Old May 21st, 2023, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ach1992880
i have am autometer AFR gauge in my 63 Catalina. Originally used it to tune the holley that I was running, but now have switched over to a proflo 4 efi and have the gauge sensor on one bank and the efi sensor on the other. Gives me a quick visual to see that it's doing what it is supposed to i guess. It has worked well for the 3 years since I installed it.
Wow! That is great integration into your dash. I love the look. Very clean. If there was a way to do something like that on a 69 Cutlass, I'd mount a permanent gauge. Unfortunately, the under dash gauge mount is the only option unless one gets really custom. I don't like sticking aftermarket gauges in the factory instrument locations. It looks really wonky at best.
Old May 21st, 2023, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 69oldsguy
That looks very interesting. Unfortunately I can't get on their site. It must be down right now. Is it bluetooth?
If you’re having trouble finding the site try plxdevices.com .

The multi-gauge link provides the Bluetooth signal

Old May 22nd, 2023, 11:42 AM

I used FAST to tune the remove.
Works well.
https://www.jegs.com/i/FAST/244/170401/10002/-1
Old May 22nd, 2023, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 69455
I used FAST to tune the remove.
Works well.
https://www.jegs.com/i/FAST/244/170401/10002/-1
Is the single shown here adequate for tuning? I see there's a double too that's more expensive.

-Joe
Old May 22nd, 2023, 02:51 PM

The double is for R&L sides.
I assume both sides are the same as I run NA single plane manifold and run the single sensor.
You can buy the double and have the choice of single or double pending budget and needs.